Thinking of upgrading already :/

Jkevs

Reaction score
I recently bough an 08 s3, after having it a month or so and getting used to running costs etc, I started wondering about what next and something faster, so I did an insurance quote last night for an rs3 and it came back at half the price I'm paying on the s3 (bearing in mind I'm 20) just wondering what sort of extra running cost there are between them. Mpg's, any hidden costs etc. I will probably wait until I'm 21 in October before looking to buy one so insurance should be cheaper again. Thanks in advance.
Jack

I recently bough an 08 s3, after having it a month or so and getting used to running costs etc, I started wondering about what next and something faster, so I did an insurance quote last night for an rs3 and it came back at half the price I'm paying on the s3 (bearing in mind I'm 20) just wondering what sort of extra running cost there are between them. Mpg's, any hidden costs etc. I will probably wait until I'm 21 in October before looking to buy one so insurance should be cheaper again. Thanks in advance.
Jack

Having owned a modified S3 and the RS for 18mths now, I would say there is very little difference in the running costs between the two. Depreciation would be the biggest cost IMO. Where in Wales are you?

i bet once its out warranty the cost difference is considerable!

I have 3 jobs so I wouldn't count myself as lucky really lol and I'm down near Carmarthen mate

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, quattro81 and 45bvtc
I have 3 jobs so I wouldn't count myself as lucky really lol and I'm down near Carmarthen mate

No disrespect meant mate and I hope none taken. Good on you! Running costs are probably quite similar, whilst under warranty anyway. Go for it!!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Do it Jkevs; the RS3 is in my view the most complete car available, bar none...

P1020261 Mod

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, MBK, quattro81 and 3 others
Go For It !!! Life is too short you'll not look back:yahoo:IMG 0807

Reactions: MBK, 45bvtc and ColeyRS3
No disrespect meant mate and I hope none taken. Good on you! Running costs are probably quite similar, whilst under warranty anyway. Go for it!!

None taken :)

My friends and family think I'm completely bonkers buying a car like this at my age but I'm fed up of modifying cars so want a genuinely fast car, I thought my s3 would satisfy my needs but it's just left me wanting an rs3 but the way I see it you never know what position you'll be in 5 years time so mite as well enjoy whilst I'm still at home and relatively care free. Decided to wait until I'm 21 to save as much as I can and make sure insurance is as cheap as I can. Thanks for the replies, I think red would be a must :)

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Why the RS3 though? It sounds like you don't have to worry about the practicality of five doors for kids etc, so why not a TTS or TTRS - I would if I didn't have the baggage, although I also need the stealth/subtlety of the RS3 when turning up to a client's site! Mine's black but Daytona Grey looks awesome...

Not a massive fan of the tt's tbh could have a look at them though plus my dads partner has just bought a diesel one. i usually like small nippy cars but want something really rapid and standard. the rs3 falls so nicely into that category :) And it's half the price for insurance as my s3. I previously had a fabia vrs and loved the 5 door because it was easy to put things in the back or if friends of family were going anywhere Id use it as an excuise to drive. Also the feeling of a wolf in Sheeps clothing comes about the rs3. Plus the stunning looks and sound.

I love the look of them in black but it's so hard to keep clean and any scratches are so noticeable.

I'm with you 90% of the way Jkevs; but 10% of me says you'll be missing out on shear excitement!

For me, and I've said already, "the RS3 is the most complete car available, bar none..." but I've been driving 'interesting' cars for many years. You DO need something else to measure the RS3 against - otherwise complacency WILL set in - and that something needs to be a lot less than an RS3!

Small is good! I had an Elan for 37-years (and used lots of Lotus belonging to along the way), and to contrast the RS3 against the Elan is what I'm talking about.

Read some of MBK's reports, he does the same, having a wealth of experience with other 'interesting' cars in everyday road conditions.

So temper your love of the RS3 with something more basic e.g., an Audi A2 - a brilliant handling car that you can turn into a van - and you can drive so 'hard' that while it'll put a 'grin' on your face you'll still be close to 'legal' speeds.

Then take the RS3 out… and appreciate!

Balance is the key Jkevs: eat with Raymond Blanc for a week and you'll get bored; eat with Raymond on a Tuesday and a Thursday, and at the local chippie in-between, and you'll appreciate Raymond so much more…

I balance my RS3 now with a ragtop 2.0 TFSI TT with 6-speed DSG and 17" wheels, very similar but oh so different! And I/we appreciate both, but for different reasons…

Go do it Jkevs, get that RS3! And good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: T-800 and MBK
I'm with you 90% of the way Jkevs; but 10% of me says you'll be missing out on shear excitement!

For me, and I've said already, "the RS3 is the most complete car available, bar none..." but I've been driving 'interesting' cars for many years. You DO need something else to measure the RS3 against - otherwise complacency WILL set in - and that something needs to be a lot less than an RS3!

Small is good! I had an Elan for 37-years (and used lots of Lotus belonging to along the way), and to contrast the RS3 against the Elan is what I'm talking about.

Read some of MBK's reports, he does the same, having a wealth of experience with other 'interesting' cars in everyday road conditions.

So temper your love of the RS3 with something more basic e.g., an Audi A2 - a brilliant handling car that you can turn into a van - and you can drive so 'hard' that while it'll put a 'grin' on your face you'll still be close to 'legal' speeds.

Then take the RS3 out… and appreciate!

Balance is the key Jkevs: eat with Raymond Blanc for a week and you'll get bored; eat with Raymond on a Tuesday and a Thursday, and at the local chippie in-between, and you'll appreciate Raymond so much more…

I balance my RS3 now with a ragtop 2.0 TFSI TT with 6-speed DSG and 17" wheels, very similar but oh so different! And I/we appreciate both, but for different reasons…

Go do it Jkevs, get that RS3! And good luck!

Thank you for the reply 45bvtc: you've given a lot of food for thought.

I see what you mean with creating a balance, my partner has a Leon fr 2.0 tdi so at least we have something to create the balance and for the fuel economy for any long journeys, (but that would mean having to let her drive the rs3 :unhappy)
But then again she's a pretty careful driver when it comes to my cars.

The only problem I have with getting something small and quick is the insurance. Insurance on the s3 is the same amount as the finance, so perhaps the rs3 until I'm a bit older. But after having the s3 i've learnt to appreciate the class and build quality that audi offer so don't really want to move away from audi quite yet.

The only thing I don't want is to buy an rs3 and then get overtaken by someone in a pocket rocket :sigh

I've just seen a 5 door a3 tdi at the petrol station and it's not a lot bigger than my 3 door so that's a plus. :thumbsup

Hi JKevs,

As 45bvtc says, go for it !

I've had allsorts over the years, Vauxhall's, VW's, Honda's, Land Rover, BMW, Ford's and to be honest out of all of them the RS3 wins hands down and I found same as you the insurance is cheaper, running costs I find pretty much the same as my S3, just make sure you do all the relevant checks prior to buying it, its a lot of money to part with to be stuck with a crashed one.

I guarantee first time you try the Launch control you'll be grinning ear to ear, it beats the S3 by a mile.

And I doubt you'll come up against much on the road that'll trouble it.

:racer:

Hi JKevs,

As 45bvtc says, go for it !

I've had allsorts over the years, Vauxhall's, VW's, Honda's, Land Rover, BMW, Ford's and to be honest out of all of them the RS3 wins hands down and I found same as you the insurance is cheaper, running costs I find pretty much the same as my S3, just make sure you do all the relevant checks prior to buying it, its a lot of money to part with to be stuck with a crashed one.

I guarantee first time you try the Launch control you'll be grinning ear to ear, it beats the S3 by a mile.

And I doubt you'll come up against much on the road that'll trouble it.

:racer:

Thank you, really appreciate the response,

I'm getting slightly excited now, I'm thinking of buying a new one as it will come with 3 years warranty there wont be any worries of something going wrong and it won't have been mistreated by anyone else. I can love and cherish it from new. I've had a lot of previous problems with cars so it would be nice to be relatively care free. Also I can pick and choose what extras I do and don't want. Although it will be a few thousand more but I'm sure it would be worth it.

I have a day off next Tuesday so I think a trip to my local audi is in order for sure.

Erm, sorry JKevs, you won't be able to get a new one, they were limited to 500 then another 250 were produced when they sold out !

Best you can do is search around for a 13 plate, there is one in Suzuka Grey for sale on Auto Trader now its a 2013 (62) At 39.950 with 1000 miles on the clock.:icon_thumright:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Oh I didn't realise that, that a bit of a kick in the balls for sure, feel a bit silly now.

When are they releasing the new ones? Any ideas?

If they are
You posted earlier...

Re: "The only problem I have with getting something small and quick is the insurance."

That's the problem with being young, Jkevs! Enjoy it while you've still got it!

However, when you're a 68-year old (with an RS3) the insurance gets a lot cheaper! :meeting:

But most of the places you wanted to go, and did go, when you were 21 are now past.

SO, DO YOU WANT TO DO THE SWAP NOW! I'll SWAP the expensive insurance for the YOUTH ANYTIME, you decide! :yes:

Re: "I don't want is to buy an rs3 and then get overtaken by someone in a pocket rocket."

There is ALWAYS someone faster Jkevs! Have you met MBK? :o.k:

Back in the late 60s, between Cannock and Wolverhampton, I overtook a guy in a 4.2 Jaguar E-type in my 1447cc Triumph Spitfire (with SAH exhaust, obviously), and I've never forgotten the moment; trouble is/was, I was driving balls out (a technical term) and he wasn't!

If I were you I'd:

1) Go BUY the RS3 - of course "USED", no new ones left. BUY the best one you can find with a specification that suits you and yours, as she WILL love it too (believe me), and then

2) Go buy a tatty Lotus Elan (or a Westfield/Caterham/Spridget/Mini (original, obviously)), ALL of which are cars you can "wear" rather than just sit in! There IS a difference. All will be low "Classic" insurance, easily fixable on the driveway (if you can't then you WILL quickly learn (oh the fun of it), and ZERO £s road tax (if you purchase pre-1973 (though I think that's now several years younger since Gordon left the room!)).

You WILL have lots MORE FUN driving slower cars faster than faster cars slower!

Blimey, you've already got those fabulous roads in and around Wales!

Reactions: T-800 and DAYTONA 500
Just to explain the 'MBK' reference, it may help…

One day in February 2013 a small group of RS3 owners met with their cars at Ruthin castle, North Wales.

Following introductions (none of us had met before) and admirations of each other's cars (photo's on this Forum) we set of to a un-be known Go-Kart track in Cerryigdrudion.

Now all but one of us didn't know where Cerryigdrudion was, but someone (robbimac I think) shouts "MBK knows the way, we'll follow him!"

F**K!!!! Followed was the BEST drive of my life!

Of course, what we didn't know was that MBK wanted to get ahead of the group so that he could take photographs of each and every car coming toward him: so MBK sets off and we (tried manically) to follow - wet roads in February remember…

I will NEVER forget, it will NEVER be repeated!

There IS ALWAYS someone faster Jkevs, just enjoy the moment (thank you Mark!!!)

Reactions: T-800, MBK, wickedstef and 1 other person

One day in February 2013 a small group of RS3 owners met with their cars at Ruthin castle, North Wales.

Following introductions (none of us had met before) and admirations of each other's cars (photo's on this Forum) we set of to a un-be known Go-Kart track in Cerryigdrudion.

Now all but one of us didn't know where Cerryigdrudion was, but someone (robbimac I think) shouts "MBK knows the way, we'll follow him!"

Of course, what we didn't know was that MBK wanted to get ahead of the group so that he could take photographs of each and every car coming toward him: so MBK sets off and we (tried manically) to follow - wet roads in February remember…

Sounds like a experience that wasn't to be missed,

The only problem now is i've got the finance for the s3, not a lot if money for a deposit and I'm not keen to think that te finance payments would be on around 30-30k where as I know if I'd bought a new one audi offer a very affordable payment then a balloon at the end. Any ideas?

.... I'm fed up of modifying cars so want a genuinely fast car, I thought my s3 would satisfy my needs but it's just left me wanting an rs3 but the way I see it you never know what position you'll be in 5 years time so mite as well enjoy whilst I'm still at home and relatively care free. Decided to wait until I'm 21 to save as much as I can and make sure insurance is as cheap as I can. Thanks for the replies, I think red would be a must :)

My thoughts exactly :yes: .... and I'd go for it if I was you. A nearly new RS3 will hold its value pretty well over the next few years too IMHO. I'd have a good test drive first to make sure you like the feel of the RS3 and the S-tronic gearbox if you currently have a manual. Be warned though ... you will fall in love with the engine during the test drive ... its very addictive :weight_lift2: . The RS3 is quite a heavyweight though, compared to a standard 5dr hatchback.

As regards running costs they are indeed incredibly low for the performance the RS3 offers. As well the low insurance, tax is only £280 for the year and the overall mpg is pretty good too. I used to get an average of 27mpg out of my Golf R (same engine as your S3 ? - 265bhp turbo 2.0 FSI) compared to just under 25mpg in the RS3.

The only problem now is i've got the finance for the s3, not a lot if money for a deposit and I'm not keen to think that te finance payments would be on around 30-30k where as I know if I'd bought a new one audi offer a very affordable payment then a balloon at the end. Any ideas?

Try shopping around online for a good PCP or Low Finance Plan. The residual value on the RS3 after 3 or 4 years is considerably higher than an S3, and therefore the monthly payments are reasonably low (with a higher balloon payment at the end). You should be able to get it to around £500 a month or just above on a PCP / low finance payment plan (for a £34,000 loan). Mine is £528 a month.

I phoned up a few places earlier for quotes on finance and it's coming back around the £5-600 mark with an fairly large balloon, I think im going to wait until I turn 21 for insurance to come down more then it will be more affordable :) i've got my eye on one on auto trader that comes with a milltek system and is around the 33k mark but we'll see :) and as for the test drive I'm sure it will be an experience :)

The only thing I don't want is to buy an rs3 and then get overtaken by someone in a pocket rocket :sigh

Trust me, as I speak for all owners in this exclusive club, 95% of cars on the road don't come close and I mean you smoke them if you want to. I just love pulling up at the lights, opposite is the stereotypical rep in his.....lets say Insignia SRI with his shiny paintwork and he looks over and gives you the glance.....you give him the polite head up and then you note his eyeball of the lights and his engine tone.....oh dear, he is going to think what the feck was that.....and you can be assured he will be telling his mates down the local all sorts of Chinese whisper.

As for the other 5%, unless they are up for it and potentially mental again you have not to much to be worried about and more than likely they will be pushing a car double the costs of the RS3. I have a guy in my estate who owns an R8 V8 and we have some fun every other week as we head off to work......when he sees me washing her at the weekend he'd stops and says...."right ok, tell me what have you done under the hood"......I just say nothing, but I altered the tailgate and put an RS3 badge on to replace the 2.0 TSFi ;-)

.....you won't regret it mate. Just search for 45bvtc posts and you will understand the true engineering and sheer beauty of this truly exceptional car. Search MKB and be prepared to enjoy a mouth watering read on this magnificence not and award winning engine, its handling and the unleashing of the beast!

If nothing else take a test drive bro......

Reactions: T-800, monkeyboy_marcus, MBK and 1 other person
Trust me, as I speak for all owners in this exclusive club, 95% of cars on the road don't come close and I mean you smoke them if you want to. I just love pulling up at the lights, opposite is the stereotypical rep in his.....lets say Insignia SRI with his shiny paintwork and he looks over and gives you the glance.....you give him the polite head up and then you note his eyeball of the lights and his engine tone.....oh dear, he is going to think what the feck was that.....and you can be assured he will be telling his mates down the local all sorts of Chinese whisper.

As for the other 5%, unless they are up for it and potentially mental again you have not to much to be worried about and more than likely they will be pushing a car double the costs of the RS3. I have a guy in my estate who owns an R8 V8 and we have some fun every other week as we head off to work......when he sees me washing her at the weekend he'd stops and says...."right ok, tell me what have you done under the hood"......I just say nothing, but I altered the tailgate and put an RS3 badge on to replace the 2.0 TSFi ;-)

.....you won't regret it mate. Just search for 45bvtc posts and you will understand the true engineering and sheer beauty of this truly exceptional car. Search MKB and be prepared to enjoy a mouth watering read on this magnificence not and award winning engine, its handling and the unleashing of the beast!

If nothing else take a test drive bro......

I will e sure to, thanks for the advice, after getting quotes i've decided to wait until I'm 21 in October to proceed in my search for one as insurance will be a bit cheaper as the monthly payments are pretty heavy. :) October/November are going to be good months :)

Thanks John, I appreciate the kind words, all part of enjoying the cars as far as I'm concerned and a real pleasure to capture the passing shot photos. I'm nothing special behind the wheel, I've seen and been in a car with far better (you are so right John there really is always someone faster). All I've done is spent the same money many use on modifications on driver training, handling and track techniques. Every £££ spent is worth it, you can exploit the potential of the car you have from MX5 to R8. The reality is I'm still learning every time I go out on road and track, there is always more to learn.

Jkevs, good to see another Welshie, what a great position you are in at 21 to own the S3 and think about the RS3. Enjoy choosing, you only have great options so it's just a case of what works best for you.

You know though, John's words have inspired me to write up another story about how to go faster, safer and have more fun - whatever car you own.

Reactions: 45bvtc and monkeyboy_marcus
Thanks John, I appreciate the kind words, all part of enjoying the cars as far as I'm concerned and a real pleasure to capture the passing shot photos. I'm nothing special behind the wheel, I've seen and been in a car with far better (you are so right John there really is always someone faster). All I've done is spent the same money many use on modifications on driver training, handling and track techniques. Every £££ spent is worth it, you can exploit the potential of the car you have from MX5 to R8. The reality is I'm still learning every time I go out on road and track, there is always more to learn.

Jkevs, good to see another Welshie, what a great position you are in at 21 to own the S3 and think about the RS3. Enjoy choosing, you only have great options so it's just a case of what works best for you.

You know though, John's words have inspired me to write up another story about how to go faster, safer and have more fun - whatever car you own.

Main reason for change is my s3 has really cheap tyres on it and they need changing,
also belts need doing as its now 5 years old, shame they didn't just go on Milage as its only done 28,000,
I'm always finding myself thinking where's the power? I want something that pushes me into the seat firmly and last but not least the finance and insurance will cost the same as my s3 as insurance is cheaper on the rs3. (Never will understand insurance companies) the only thing that is making me think twice is that after 3 years I won't fully own the car as I would with my s3 but for the type of car it's acceptable, and my main job isn't permanent at the moment so they could shrug me off at any time. On the plus side my 3 months will be up the same time as my birthday so I think that will be a big decider. Another thing is my work is a 24 mile round trip every day and I'm not sure if I want to put that kind of Milage on a car of this stature. Thanks for the reply MBK. From the stories you sound a legend!!! I suppose it's us welshies for you :giggle

I didn't think you did mate, just my reaction recalling the Fiat Panda I'd inherited at 21!

Regarding "not sure if I want to put that kind of Milage on a car of this stature" - I've stacked up about 15k miles over the past 12 months and (brake squeal aside) have loved the experience, any opportunity I'm off. What is the car for if not for driving. I tried this cleaning/detailing thing once, didn't like it much, just got dirty again.

Also consider that you should have no problem shifting the RS3 if you really had to, as has been pointed out, they don't make em anymore. Limited supply and high demand should keep the resale value up.

One thing you can rely on if you do take the jump, is some very interesting and experienced fellow owners on this forum and RS3OC...

Reactions: T-800
Trust me, as I speak for all owners in this exclusive club, 95% of cars on the road don't come close and I mean you smoke them if you want to.
I would put the number more like 99.5% of other cars. :) The only car you are likely to come across who will give you pause for thought off the lights is a modified 2.0T quattro in some guise, although there are videos showing that even a modified S3 struggles against the RS3. And you can always modify the RS3 if it really bothers you.

Main reason for change is my s3 has really cheap tyres on it and they need changing
That's up there with 'my ash trays are dirty'! :p

the only thing that is making me think twice is that after 3 years I won't fully own the car as I would with my s3 but for the type of car it's acceptable, and my main job isn't permanent at the moment so they could shrug me off at any time. On the plus side my 3 months will be up the same time as my birthday so I think that will be a big decider. Another thing is my work is a 24 mile round trip every day and I'm not sure if I want to put that kind of Milage on a car of this stature.
I've never bought a car on a 'residual value' scheme so I don't know how cost efficient they are, but the main reason for that has been mileage. I do 18-25k miles per year and they don't seem to work for that kind of mileage.

And the car is definitely for driving - fantastic cruiser, practical lugger, awesome blaster.

I'm always finding myself thinking where's the power? I want something that pushes me into the seat

Actually, on reflection I would recommend you get your S3 chipped. That will give you a big injection of torque and provide the benefit you are looking for much more cost effectively.

Stay with the RS3 Jkevs, the RS3 is so much more than a re-mapped S3!

I already had a re-mapped 3-door S3 (that I'd had for 8-years and still loved...) when I was persuaded to drive that bl##dy RS3 demonstrator at Stafford Audi, and look what happened since...

S3RS3208X_zps2a5bb271.jpg

Bye, bye Misano S3... (and I really did love that car)

Last edited:
Stay with the RS3 Jkevs, the RS3 is so much more than a re-mapped S3!

I already had a re-mapped 3-door S3 (that I'd had for 8-years and still loved...) when I was persuaded to drive that bl##dy RS3 demonstrator at Stafford Audi, and look what happened since...

Oh, don't get me wrong, the RS3 is superior to a mapped S3 (and I too had a heavily modified 8L S3). But if all that is missing from the S3 is a slug of torque then £800 on a mapping is a lot more cost effective than spending £5-10k on upgrading to an RS3!

I think this is an interesting area. No question the standard S3 is a fast car but as evo magazine say the downside is it's a little too clinical, maybe too refined for it's own good - you're often going faster than you think you are and it's mostly effortless progress.

I remember feeling the same way about the Evo X. I loved the Evo IX MR FQ-360 (snappy title eh!) and was all set to buy an Evo X but then we test drove the X 330 SST and I just wondered what they'd done to the Evo, it was all grown up, the noises was dulled down the usual pops and diff noises of the Evo IX were gone and the whole car 'felt' slower. Rather than a hair on fire rally replica they'd created a rather low rent M3 and the sales suffered for it.

The Evo IX by comparison was an aggressive, fierce and sometimes unpredictable car. It always felt fast, it was noisy with whining diffs, transmission clunks and a massive swell of torque at about 3K with a massive kick in the back on every gear change (and of course plenty of turbo lag below 3k to match). The rock hard ride added to the experience, as did the oversteer biased cornering, let the tail swing and plant the throttle to lets the computers sort it all out. It was an addictive and adrenaline filled car to drive, up to 100mph it would keep a 911 GT3 honest. I know if I was 21 again that is the sort of car and experience I'd want. The S3 is a much more refined car and like the 330 SST it is a lot quicker than it might feel. I lapped one of Mitsi's demo 330 SSTs around Pembrey in exactly the same time as my MR360 - the SST gearbox making up the power/weight difference.

By all means map the S3, it will be quick, if you go Stage II it will be about as quick as the RS3 (though the insurance might be a shocker!).

What the RS3 adds with the 2.5TFSI engine is more of the drama of those rally replica cars, you get all the torque swell but without the lag, you get the glorious 5 pot sound, you get fantastic braking performance (squeal aside) out of the box and of course incredible levels of grip wet or dry. The RS3 is exciting to drive, not as adrenaline pumping as the Evo IX, but out of the box it's the quicker car and you get a much higher quality package to live with every day too.

As John has already said the RS3 is the best all rounder I've owned I think it will give you that extra bit of excitement you are looking for!

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, T-800 and DAYTONA 500