Thinking of doing this mod...

will get pics of it tomorrow, the lack of natural light at the moment and (as my mate describes it) how its "black, black and more black", you'd just be looking at a pair headlights.

(predictably the windows are also tinted..)

:)

If you don’t like the chrome finish do as I did and pop the rings off and rub them down with red scotch pad to giving it that brushed ally look. It takes about an hour of rubbing down but it’s a much nicer look than that classic chrome look.

Just make sure when you’re doing it you rub down around the rings and not up and down as this will ****-up the effect.

DPM said:
Yeah, it's the same size grille just different design.
I solemny swear I'm not trying to be a smart ****, I just don't want to see anyone jump in...

I promise that the A3 and S3 grilles are in fact different size; the S3 item bows lower at the bottom edge, and has an extra horizontal slat (they're at about the same pitch too).

An S3 part will not just drop into an A3 bumper without modification. I had the thought a while ago and couldn't find a definitive answer to the question, so I took myself off to Preston Audi and came back with the part - it doesn't fit. It actually sat in my garage for about 12 months until my RS4 bumper went on...

Regards,

Rob.

Having looked over this thread, i definitely prefer OEM.

I wont pick out any particular picture so not to offend anyone, but some just look like the Chrome has fell off, and that something is missing.

I personally think faux chrome detail should be saved for Rovers and Jaguar's.

skanky said:
ok not the best pics in the world (im crap at taking photos):
I've seen a lot worse.

So how did you get the black rings on the back? Did you rub down a set of chrome ones and spray paint them?

jcs356 said:
I've seen a lot worse.

So how did you get the black rings on the back? Did you rub down a set of chrome ones and spray paint them?
would love to tell you, but to be honest i have no idea, the previous owner did that.

is it me or does the front grill look a bit off? was walking down the street and saw another a3's grill and it looked more flush that mine does,

am i missing the chrome surround or anything?

Skanky, Has your whole grill been spayed shiney black,
because the slats look shiney on your pictures not like the normal dull plastic?

i think it has been sprayed yeah, looking to get the chrome rings back, dont like the look of it with the black rings now.

gonna find out from audi next week how much a set of OE rings for the front/back are, just looks slightly off without the rings on, moreso on the front. the back aint too bad, but the front is odd.

Hi guys, so i have my grille off and reasy to make it black, quick question, how did you guys prepare it before you painted it, i read somebody used plastic primer, is this the best way to do it and to what degree did you rub it down before hand.

Cheers

I used 500grit sandpaper to scuff up the metal, then normal primer, paint and laquer. halfords finest.

Try to get the paint around the edges and up into the back too to stop it flaking at the edges.

pablo said:
I used 500grit sandpaper to scuff up the metal, then normal primer, paint and laquer. halfords finest.

Try to get the paint around the edges and up into the back too to stop it flaking at the edges.

cheers, ill go buy me some primer and laquer