Thinking of defecting...

Spin140

Reaction score
Had a TTS for the day yesterday, unfortunately it came with DSG or whatever its called these days and although very,very fast in a straight line it all went to pieces in the twistys for me, I really couldn't get on with the paddles or manual shiftas using +/- on the gear selector the car was still changing gear for me and the position of the paddles was really annoying. Whilst at the dealers he informed me my Manual TTS has gone into build so will be arriving late July/early August - a little ahead of schedule which set me to thinking as not totally blown away with the S3 lump feeling a little more laggy than I remember. I decided to take a look at what else I could get for close to £36K pre-discount.

Anyway to the point - I test drove a BMW 335i Coupe M Sport today, twin turbo, 306bhp.

Crikey!!! Never been a big BM fan but the soundtrack and performance were amazing with a playful rear end in todays wet weather.

I only had the car for half an hour so have booked a solo half day to fully ascess it, the dealer agreed to 5% off without any negotiation so this is promising as a starting point on a £36K car, what are your thoughts Guys or have any of you considered a similar swap ?

Surprisingly its in the same group tax wise as the S3/TTS and offers similar MPG with a like for like spec.

I know I haven't grinned so much in ages and the poor salesman was a nice shade of white when we returned.

Give me a 335i Coupe over a TTS anyday. The 3.0l inline 6 bi turbo'd engine is an engineering masterpiece and although the 3 series isnt the best looking car imo, it's still much better looking than the 'girly/bubbly' TT. Efficient Dynamics helps the car achieve the tax group and fuel consumption.

335I well specced gives you a base S5 wich well specced gives you a base M3.... decisions decisions.... ahahah

Pedro

Personally, I think you have answered your own question in your post. The 335i is a fab car and is in a totally different league to the TTS. You should really be comparing it with an S5.

People often criticse the 3 series coupe for not being very exclusive, and I agree, that is the case. The flip side of that argument, is that because you see a lot of them, they are obviously worth purchasing!

If I had the $$$ and the no claim bonus, I'd have a 335i Coupe with a Manual box and a few options without even thinking. For now, the S3 will have to fill the gap.

Another alternative is a 135i Coupe, smaller than the 3, but with the same engine (just a little detuned) could be just as much fun!

Andrew

Another alternative is a 135i Coupe, smaller than the 3, but with the same engine (just a little detuned) could be just as much fun!

The 135i is the same power 306bhp , but there ugly IMHO

I don't know mate , your money your choice , for me the 335i is still a fast rep mobile.

If i wanted to go that way i'd look at a used RS4 or M3/CSL

p

335i is 1600kg kerb weight so I can't believe it would be any faster than a TT-S ( or even an S3 ).

36k and Leather is still a 1k option, sounds like a bit of an insult to me!

Mind you I think the TT-S is a crazy price anyway - 7k more than an S3 for a Coupe body?!?

If I had that kind of money to spend I'd buy a Porsche, although their options list puts Audi and BMW to shame and you could end up spending 50k on a Boxster!

335i is on par with S3.... except when comes a bend or a less grippy surface...

Rear wheel traction might be a lot more fun though... but round a bend... the fast would be a proper good 4WD/AWD, not particularly the S3.

Still would not go for a 335i as too many around (I meant 3 series, even coupes). I personally would prefer an S5... which as we all know is where the 335i is positioned price wise... (well get the basic needed extras an you will see what I mean)

In your position I would not take the TTS either... Depends really what are you looking for if a 2 seater sports car or a fast far for £40k ish.... Porsche Boxster/Cayman, BMW Z4 M Coupe, Nissan 350 Z (fab engine!!)... some good options for that price bracket. I have recently seen a few RS4 Avants and with the flared arches they look great!!!

Pedro

Pedro

0-60 is more than the S3 , it maybe a touch faster 0-100 , a remap will take it too GOOD power though 360-370bhp.

p

a good remap on the 335i... I am worried... they have two turbos mounte in series to perform as an normal aspirated engine... things can go really nasty I think...

Pedro

Im a big AUDI fan and and owner, however if its the case that the 335 and TTS are the same money, then I reckon the BM gives more for the money and is the more sensible buy, if a little anonymous looks wise.

335i is 1600kg kerb weight so I can't believe it would be any faster than a TT-S ( or even an S3 ).

36k and Leather is still a 1k option, sounds like a bit of an insult to me!

Mind you I think the TT-S is a crazy price anyway - 7k more than an S3 for a Coupe body?!?

If I had that kind of money to spend I'd buy a Porsche, although their options list puts Audi and BMW to shame and you could end up spending 50k on a Boxster!

Indeed! But worth it....:jester:

Agree with you about the TTS matey, tested a Cayman S today, really good but not sure I could live with it as an everyday car, think it would annoy me like my Type R did. Looking at a 911 (997) now, or should i say dealer is trying to get me in one, even offered me a demo to take home for the night, didn't want to leave my S3 even though he promised it would be locked away. May drive it in the next day or two.

Mark

Agree with you about the TTS matey, tested a Cayman S today, really good but not sure I could live with it as an everyday car, think it would annoy me like my Type R did.

Mark

How come...?

I'd not bother with a 911 either then...get a Base Cayman 2.7 and an X51 engine for it. You could have an awesome car for way less than a 911.

Although theirs loads of stigma attached to owning a Cayman / Boxster, I'd much rather have a Cayman S than a base 911.

Autocar puts 0-100 as 12.8 for 335 and 13.6 for S3 so a bit quicker.

The TT-S should be a bit quicker than S3 due to being lighter and extra power ( alleged!! )

I specced up a 335i with the same options as my S3 and it was 39k - so 9k extra. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but then neither does 40k+ for a specced up Boxster S.

Mind you I guess I could have bought a Focus ST for 10k less and got similar performance - who said car prices make sense?

I would happily live with a Cayman S or any Porsche... only thing is I think they could be more stylish, especially the 911.... It is a very plain car for me... not exciting at all unless you are talking top models... Should be a fantastic drive though... (even in basic trim/model)

Pedro

oohh just think of the devaluation when buying such a car ;)

How come...?

I'd not bother with a 911 either then...get a Base Cayman 2.7 and an X51 engine for it. You could have an awesome car for way less than a 911.

Although theirs loads of stigma attached to owning a Cayman / Boxster, I'd much rather have a Cayman S than a base 911.

I think Spin140 has tested the Cayman's and Boxter's already.

p

I think the 335's will hemorrhage money. I looked at one prior to choosing the BS. The best finance deal I could get on the BMW was £485 a month, yet with the same deposit I got a slightly more expensive ex demo BS for £328 a month as the residuals are significantly better.

How come...?

Not sure about the 911 never been in one, only an old one. I really love the looks of the Cayman , more so than the 911. Found the Cayman S awesome to drive, great chassis, fast and awesome noise,on the negative side found the seats uncomfortable, pedals very heavy and poor cabin, I think it would be the type of car that would annoy you if you were not in the mood for it and a little tiresome on long journeys.i.e needs a little more refinement. Dealer stated the 911 is a lot more refined and easier to live with,we will see, I am in no rush to change anyway. Dealer appears very keen to do a deal, would have to buy a used one anyway and the stock he has does not really fit the bill.

Cayman 2.7, think It would be to slow

Mark

I would happily live with a Cayman S or any Porsche... only thing is I think they could be more stylish, especially the 911.... It is a very plain car for me... not exciting at all unless you are talking top models... Should be a fantastic drive though... (even in basic trim/model)

Pedro

I agree with you Pedro, find the 911 very plain looking except with the aero kit which does make a difference 3k extra though. I do love the looks of the Cayman though, not sure you would find your London to Porto trips in a Cayman S as comfy as the S3 though. Really did feel the difference getting back into the S3 though more comfy and easy to drive, didn't sound as good though.

Managed to avoid road blocks and petrol station blocks in your humble country, thanks for the advice.

Mark

I was talking about replacing the 2.7 engine in the cayman with the 3.8l X51 engine from the Carrera S. Would still be significantly cheaper and you'd have 260PS/ton.

I was talking about replacing the 2.7 engine in the cayman with the 3.8l X51 engine from the Carrera S. Would still be significantly cheaper and you'd have 260PS/ton.

AHH, Sorry missed that one, that would be quick would it not.

Mark

No contest. 335i (or d - shame it's auto only though) anyday.

The TT-S price is outrageous. Will be interesting to see a. how many are sold and b. how quickly the discounts start appearing...

I believe just about every review has been unimpressed so far too, even one saying get the diesel version?

Dare I say it but TTS is a dissapointment and not worth the price tag. I have only driven the S tronic and in manual it would be much better but with good TTC 3.2 fetching £25K, if TT is what you would want that would be the way to go.
Not a fan of BM myself but I recognise a good car and it certainly is. It is still to 'rep' for me and the badge snobbery in some people is a bad advert for the car,
That said, its much more a motorwar cruiser and I agree its like a A5/S5 really.

I can only echo what i've already said in many posts on here recently.... I'm seriously considering a 330/335d M-Sport coupe but only if Audi don't hurry up and make a decision on the realease of the A5 S-Line (still not ruling out an S3 though)

Something definitely worth taking into consideration is that the BMW is due a facelift towards the back end of this year. So whatever you decide i'd wait til then...

That said, its much more a motorwar cruiser and I agree its like a A5/S5 really.

I disagree, after test driving both the A5 and 330d lately i have to say the BMW is more of a sports coupe than the A5 and more of a drivers car. Maybe the S-Line pack on the A5 would solve that difference...Who knows.

I only had the car for half an hour so have booked a solo half day to fully ascess it, the dealer agreed to 5% off without any negotiation so this is promising as a starting point on a £36K car, what are your thoughts Guys or have any of you considered a similar swap ?
Spin140, I kinda know how you're feeling cos I had same dilemma as you before finally settling for S3. Most people would probably envy being in such a dilemma!! :whistle2:
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that the 335i M sport happened to be in the same tax bracket as the S3 and figures showed very similar MPG and performance. Although 3 series BMW are commonly seen, I personally have not seen many 335i M sport models floating around! However, by the time I had specc'd it up from the 36k base price, it was almost 43k!! And this isnt even the pinnacle model for the 3 series!! (obviously M3 taking the crown)

I agree with other comments...335 should realy be comparable to S5. So I looked into S5.....40k base price and optional extras which I would have wanted...lets not go there!!

So why did I opt/choose the S3 instead of 335i M sport coupe?
As much as I hate to admit this but vehicles are generally depreciating assets, so I thought it'd be wise to save myself 10k to buy an S3 whilst keeping half an eye on getting myself onto my 1st property.
The S3 is the "top dog" in the A3 range, yet BMW 335i M sport coupe is superseeded by the almighty M3 within the 3 series models.
Im 26 and feel Im not too old to suit the hot hatches and it'll only be a matter of time before I get a coupe. (sorry to any S3 owners who are older than me - I tried and failed to put it any a none offensive/diplomatic way)
Dan

The S3 is the "top dog" in the A3 range, yet BMW 335i M sport coupe is superseeded by the almighty M3 within the 3 series models.
Im 26 and feel Im not too old to suit the hot hatches and it'll only be a matter of time before I get a coupe. (sorry to any S3 owners who are older than me - I tried and failed to put it any a none offensive/diplomatic way)
Dan

I disagree to an extent on the 335 / M3 subject. I know people who can easily afford the M3 but basically don't like the image and don't feel the need to advertise the performance of their car...so opted for the 335.
The 335 is a truly understated performance car. The M3 isn't!
I know what you're saying, it's below the M3 in the range but they do have different markets to an extent.

PNH80 said:
I disagree to an extent on the 335 / M3 subject. I know people who can easily afford the M3 but basically don't like the image and don't feel the need to advertise the performance of their car...so opted for the 335.
The 335 is a truly understated performance car. The M3 isn't!
I know what you're saying, it's below the M3 in the range but they do have different markets to an extent.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I was trying to make the point that certain people always want to have the best and be the best...hence M3 status!! (apologies if I didnt get it across like this - i knew what I meant)

Performance wise there isnt much between 335 and M3. In actual fact the new 335 is almost on par with the "old" M3 (if im not mistaken)

My dad is always a firm believer "less is more" cos he doesnt want to attract unwanted attention to any of his vehicles. He would certainly choose the 335 over the M3 whilst knowing that he still has a very capable performance car. "A wolf in sheep clothing" in his words!!

only issue with BM's is the silly servicing prices compared to other marks. but the M is something else

Not sure about the 911 never been in one, only an old one. I really love the looks of the Cayman , more so than the 911. Found the Cayman S awesome to drive, great chassis, fast and awesome noise,on the negative side found the seats uncomfortable, pedals very heavy and poor cabin, I think it would be the type of car that would annoy you if you were not in the mood for it and a little tiresome on long journeys.i.e needs a little more refinement. Dealer stated the 911 is a lot more refined and easier to live with,we will see, I am in no rush to change anyway. Dealer appears very keen to do a deal, would have to buy a used one anyway and the stock he has does not really fit the bill.

Cayman 2.7, think It would be to slow

Mark

2.7 definetly too slow in comparison to the S3 plus you woul always wish you had the Top model, I loved the driving experience of both variants of the Cayman and Boxster but it felt like a weekend car to me not something I could live with daily.

only issue with BM's is the silly servicing prices compared to other marks. but the M is something else

fixed servicing offer on the 335i , 3 yrs or 36,000 miles = £465.

residuals are 58% for this model so in line with most of our Audi's.

I'm still undecided but have managed to track down a manual TTs to test drive for next week after the dyno day so perhaps this time will be more favourable.

I agree with most of the comments about the Coupe being percieved as a fast rep mobile but seriously you need to try this car before passing judgement, the engine is amazing and the handling is very entertaining but equally very predictable.

I wouldn't consider any of the true fast variants, RS4 or M3 etc due to running costs and my requirement for a 3 year warranty - this next purchase is intended to last a min of 2 years and will be the first car I have financed for a good few years, I'm looking at a PCP to get me a car from the class above (cost wise) for a low monthly. I only require max 3 doors and the coupe shape suits my tastes, the A5 is gorgeous in certain specs but feels like a car that will suit me in a few years time its just a little too cumbersome especially after experiencing the agility of my current 2.0T TT.

I agree the TTs is very expensive but you are paying extra for the coupe/sports car look and many extras come as standard over the normal TT - Magnetic Ride (£1095), Xenons/LED DRl (£975), Extended Lthr package, Upgraded brakes, Quad Sports exhaust & quattro - yes it's more money than an S3 but IMO not a suitable comparison, the S3 is without a date the Super Hot hatch of choice, the TT's only direct competition would be the 135i Coupe M Sport which costs £30K but this does not include lthr or Xenons and although great fun is a bit on the ugly side. The 335i is fairly exclusive in manual form and offers lot of standard spec so represents a better purchase than the 1 series IMO.

The good thing that has come out of my current indecision is a determination to gain a decent discount on the TTS as I know have a good alternative which once discounted actually works out cheaper than the TTs - Time will tell and I'll let you know how I get on with the next series of test drives as said I feel very fortunate to be in this position, age does have some benefits after all :)

I'd have the 335 over a TT-S. But I'd try to get a Cayman over either. Not a clue what you'd get for that money or whether it'd have to be 2nd hand but still.

Yeah, I'd have a Cayman over those two as well.
Love the looks.

Has anyone driven a 335d coupe?? I know they're automatic only for some reason.... Does this interfere with the driving experience?