Thinking of buying newish A3, your input needed Please!!

TDI

Reaction score

I'm very interested in buying the 2.0 TDI Sport, and wanted your input on good and bad points on the car.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm loving mine. Sold a Mkiv GTi-T because the fuel bills were getting silly. I tried a Golf GTi 150 Diesel and the new A3 TDi. The difference was night and day. In every way the Audi was the better car. Styling inside and out is miles better than the old model IMHO and so much better than the new Golf.

I've got a few rattles (buzzes) and this has been reported here a few times but I will hopefully get this sorted when it goes in for its first service soon.

It feels quicker (once you get going) than my old Gti though has a bit of lag when pulling away and this takes some getting used to. Its main benefits are the mid-range power and the improved chassis over my mkiv which really helps on the twisty bits.

I've got the DSG model and would definitely recommend you give it a go. More than just a gimmick. I tend to keep it in Drive for the most part, using the paddles when I need a quick boost to overtake someone or if I want some fun. On country roads Sport mode is pretty good. A bit frantic around town though. The paddles make shifting a breeze when negotiating bends, though it would really benefit one of those beemer heads up displays as you tend to rely a lot on the rev counter for gearing. With a manual you always know which gear you are in. With the DSG I find myself just judging it on the rev counter and not bothering about which particular gear I'm in. Glancing down means you're taking your eyes off the road.

Anyway, a bit waffly but I hope that helps.

Yes have got one too, very nice car, some rattling from windows when fully closed but audi is gonna have it in when they bother to ring back. Dont know about anyone else, but i find that the wind/road noise is greater in this new shape compared to the older model, but the engine noise is much lower in this than the older one.

All in all very nice car, esp. in Toucan yellow! lol

[ QUOTE ]

I'm very interested in buying the 2.0 TDI Sport, and wanted your input on good and bad points on the car.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheels are too small, suspensions too soft

get yerself an SLine

First 18,000 miles I've averaged 46mpg. About 80% motorway driving, at 70-80mph. If I drove smoothly everywhere, that would be over 50mpg.

Now that it's chipped, I aim to average 45mpg by the time I get to my destination - conservative driving to warm up the engine, blast it, then conservative again to get the mpg up (and give the engine/turbo time to warm down).

Some turbo lag up to about 1400 rpm, and you do have to watch it trying to pull away in second from a slow crawl - stalled a number of times, with the transmission going thud (not a pleasing sound - although norma for it to be that violent when stalling).

Tyre noise is quite bad. Wind noise is OK. Engine noise, for a diesel, is great so long as it's not idling. Very petrol like.

Also, get it chipped, because the transformation is unbelievable!

I've had no problems, other than having the rear wiper motor changed under warranty - Audi recall on the earlier (pre 2005?) models. No rattling that or squeaking this. Then again, I have so much crap in the car these days that I wouldn't know if it was the car of the brick-a-brac I carry around with me!

Handling is superb, although front end grip on acceleration, as you would expect with so much torque, can be tricky. With it chipped, I don't think the ESP can handle it properly, so the driver needs to be careful.

On the other hand, the steering is dead to this world. I've tried steering loosely with one hand to try and feel when the car is losing traction, but either I'm numb from the neck down or the steering is.

Oil consumption is reasonable at about a litre every 8000 miles.

apologies, I meant to put a smiley on the end of my post to show I was having a jape with you.

Fuel for me is good.

Do a long (70mile) comute to work and can consistently get 60-63mpg

HOWEVER

That's driving like miss daisy, keeping it below 70mph, coasting out the majority of stops, anticipating traffic braking and running out a lot of the hills.

Drive it fast (>110mph) and it'll drop to 38mpg (i am of course describing the time I took it on my private race track that looks remarkably like the M3/4)

Most of us get about 45-48 as a rolling average.

Yep, it is very economical if you drive like that, with intelligence. Sadly, I'm somewhat lacking in that department.

Concerning top speed, considering mine's chipped, you'd think it would do considerably more than it's standard top speed of 130mph. It just won't. Get's there quite easily though. There is another 400rpm available, but it's a no go. The top speed on the 2,0TDI is quite low compared to the 120i and C220CDI (about about 140mph). OK, not that it's practical or sensible to drive that fast anywhere (I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave in the first paragraph!).

Get the S-line, just subtley different, slighty harder ride, bigger 18" wheels, sweet body styling.

Had mine 10 months now and loving it. I usually change my car every year coz of work mileage (last 3 have been A4's), but considering keeping my A3 for longer as I love it so much! Only thing which may force back to an A4 Avant will be our new born daughter and all the kit she has, requiring more space! It'll be an A4 Avant or a roof box for the A3!

Even with the bigger wheels and DSG I'm getting an average mpg of 46. Most its time is spent on the M4 going to London. Lovely cruiser on the motorway, keeps up with most things which have larger petrol lumps doing <25mpg, so I'm laughing! Even gave an A8 4.0TDI a run for his money from London to Glos last night. The old paddles on the DSG prooving quite handy!

The Sport is nice, but the S-line just has that little extra, while keeping the economy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Definitely go for the S-Line, the ride is the best of any Audi on the road imho.
The SE is far to wallowy and the Sport feels just as hard and even more crashy, the S-line is firm but it handles really, really well.

When I had mine I got 44.5mpg over 10000 miles and of that 8000 miles was stop start driving and in town.

You can easily get 50mpg+ on a bit of a run or taking it easy.

I had an 04 plate TDI sport and loved the car although the ride was very harsh and crashy. Make sure that if you do buy a Sport that it does not suffer from the quite common fault with noisy rear suspension. I now have a Quattro S-Line and find it to be more refined then the Sport however mine is the new SFG version which had suspension modifications over the previous version.
As Unkle said parking sensors are a must!