Thinking of buying, need help...

diggler30

Reaction score
I currently own a 2003 Nissan 350Z and plan on selling it within the next 6 months and want to buy a 97-2000 A4. My question is this, is there a year or engine(1.8/2.8) that I should avoid due to defects, maintainance costs, etc? I really love these cars and am looking foward to having one of my own ASAP! Thank you for your help.

If you can get a 1999.5-2001 A4 model, I would get those years as the body changed and you would have less miles. I read in a consumer report that my year, the 2000 is not reliable and that the 2001 year is better. However, I have had no problems except with fault codes that do not hinder my car's performance. Either model the 1.8 or 2.8 will have high maintenance costs as its an audi, but its well worth it trust me. If you want to mod, get the 1.8T as there are limited mods you can do with a 2.8. And make sure you buy a quattro and not a frontrak audi!!!

Why are you selling your 2003 350Z for an older car that may have more miles? Serious modder?

My Z is just too much. I am paying $580/month and its killing me. I need to have some extra money for mods and bills and stuff. I love my Z to death but its not worth getting a 2nd job just to mod it.

I need to be under $250 to make it worth my while in the future. I dont want to turn around and have to sell again just to save more money.

I would agree, definetly get the 1999.5 or the 2001 1.8t Quattro. I almost regret getting the FWD 2.8 now becuase of the low list of avalible mods and without the AWD its almost not worth it, beacuse you burn through 1st and some of second with any added power(I found this out the hard way). The only bright side of the FWD is that it doesnt cost nearly as much to repair any suspension damage, I have a friend with a 2.8Q and it costs him almost double what it costs me for any suspension maintenence on his Q.

When you do buy, make sure you get the timming belt changed/checked-these cars have notorious problems with this. Also make sure all the control arms and bearings on each are fresh or do not need any tending, this also can be a very expensive problem to fix. I had a timming belt break on a previous Audi A4 and it cost me almost $3,000 to fix it.

These are fun cars, I dont know how much fun compared to a 350z, but definetly costs less!

Good Luck