1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think my turbo's died - how can I confirm?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MarkA3, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MarkA3

MarkA3 New Member

[Jul 14, 2010]
    Hi all, sorry my first post is requesting help!
    I have an A3 2.0 TDI (53 plate) which has covered 103,000 miles. Earlier today while pulling away and accelerating in 2nd gear (approx. 2,000-2,500rpm), I heard a pop and noticed quite a bit of smoke in the rear view mirror. After this the car has very little power which keeps cutting in and out causing a very slow juddery drive. No warning lights are on.
    I was just wondering if there is anything I can do, with my limited mechanical know-how, that will confirm what exactly the problem is?
    All suggestions welcome, cheers!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 14, 2010]
    hmm, it could be anything. It would be worth getting a VCDS scan to see if it's anything else.

Where are you located in case someone else lives close that can help you by scanning it for you
  4. MarkA3

MarkA3 New Member

[Jul 14, 2010]
    Thanks for the reply, I have a vag-com cable but won't be able to scan it til tomorrow evening as my friend has borrowed it. I'll post the results as soon as.
    I've had a look under the bonnet and can't see anything obvious, no leaks, all fluids still at correct level.

Any other things I can do in the meantime?
  5. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Jul 14, 2010]
    blown a boost pipe off?
  6. MarkA3

MarkA3 New Member

[Jul 14, 2010]
    Not that I can see Matt, everything looks connected. Cheers for the suggestion.
  7. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

[Jul 14, 2010]
    Mines at awesome tomorrow to get rid of James Galway...Sick of his fuckin flute playing. Brand new garrett going on & sending the other to CR for a refurb.

Mine did go into limp mode yesterday, but i was racing an Alpina cab & an M3 at the time