think maf's knackered...how to test?

scott13

Reaction score
as above guys, was getting a fault code and thought i had a split hose, got them checked and nothing found. anyway guy suggested that its a new maf required but before i buy one i was wondering is it right that if you unplug maf and engine stays the same then its ok? cause i tried this and it almost cut out so does this mean its knackered?

cheers
Scott

If engine improves with maf disconnected then the maf is knackered, strange that your car seemed to almost cut out when disconnected, shouldn't do that...

When you disconnect the maf your esp light will come on iirc, but the car should still run ok because the ecu will then run off default settings, if your car is mapped with a decent maf, when disconnected the car wont pull as well, but certainly wont cut out...

What fault code were you getting do you know ?

this was the code :- 17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

just took car for a run and it cut ran ok but cut out when i stopped.

and the light didnt come on which was strange?

i have vag come but dont know how to log things?

Could check the boost pipes under the inlet mani for leaks and see if everything looks ok,

dont have a turbo mate..would i still have boost pipes?

done as the sticky says and both sides stayed at 0% am i doing this wrong?

Ok will do that tommorrow mate, do i drive car or leave it idleing?

Sorry I should have said. Ideally you want to take the car close to the red line for a few gears as this will log the maximum air flow. Whenever I do any of my logging I stick the car in 4th at around 2K revs and then floor it and take it to the red line but I have an S3 and this is normally the best way to get a steady boost reading.

80.36 g/s was the highest reading i got at about 6500rpms . does this mean maf is crap?

Last edited:
Well the book power for a non Turbo 1.8 is 123bhp so you're not far off.

What was your g/s reading when idle? If its between 2-4 then your maf might be ok. If the reading is less than 2 or more than 4 at idle, i'd say you need a new MAF.

reading was 2.8 g/s on idle..is it ok then?

yeah mate tried that first but it would run ok but cut out when i stopped, at first when unplugged it almost cut out too

The MAF comes off your Air-Filter Housing and has an electrical socket on it, just disconnect the plug.

DC