1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

think i might of found my problem bang

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by vr6gordy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Jul 25, 2012]
    last night before wife got out the car i popped the bonnet open to check oil level as i lifted bonnet my wife got out the car and i noticed the engine rocked quite alot over to the right as i look at the engine .. could this be the problem sound im hearing ... passenger engine mount gone maybe .... but im sure i can here the sound on drivers side when im in the car .. this there a way to check mount with out removing it ? as i took a gamble on drivers side and turned out to be ok ... any help on this ????????
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Jul 26, 2012]
    Sounds like an engine mount is shot. Your best bet is to take the lower engine cover off and locate all the mounts.........watch them by lying on the floor while your wife revs the engine to pin point and make sure its a mount, which I think it is.
  4. bowen

bowen Member

[Jul 26, 2012]
    You and this bloody knocking! You got arond ten threads on this knocking lol. I can understand the frustration.

Open the bonnet and give the engine a good shake, literally grab it and shake it!
  5. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Jul 26, 2012]
    done that and it deffo makes a bang sound .. all this bloodytime wasted on drivers side ... i would of bet money it was drivers side too...
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Jul 27, 2012]
    you cant always tell if they are busted until you take one off, that's how i found my one
    [​IMG]
  7. Willf

Willf Member

[Jul 27, 2012]
    The only way you can propoerly tell is get a pry-bar and lever the engine at each of the mounting points - whichever mount give the most movement is the culprit.

Just general visual checks or rocking the engine wont really tell you anything!
  8. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jul 27, 2012]
    One of best ways with handbrake on and another person taking up the drive to biting point will rock the engine to the max so you'll see and hear any excessive movement.