think i got robbed.

jon1982

diesel dodger
Reaction score
hi guys,

had car in for mot yesterday all went well apart from the car needed new rear brake pads.
the guy foned me but as i was at work i just told him to fit the pads. i went to pick the car up after work and they charged me 90 quid to replace the rear pads! now that seems like a lot to me or am i wrong?:think:

thanks in advance.

genuine or motor factor pads? if gen yea that fine but cheap ones are under 15quid for the set!

to be honest i dont know mate, its a local garage where i live, any way i can find out?

I doubt they would have used genuine pads unless you asked them to be used,but you can ask.... but its done now so its worth asking how much before they take on any work.

yeah defineately will do next time, as i said i was busy at work when they foned and i just said do it! wont happen again though, gutted. thanks for replys mate.

You definatly got robbed as you can fit red stuff ceramic pads for £85 rear or yellowstuff £95!

And i some how doubt they fitted those!

Remember you are paying for the labour and not just the pads, I bet they rounded it up to an hours labour plus the price of the pads. It does sound a lot but there is nothing you can do now mate.

I just dont get threads like this, I really dont.

Ok, you lift your car via jack or lift, take your rear wheels of, then remove calipers, clean them up of brake dust, lift bonnet, undo fluid cap, wind back the calipers, then copper grease areas up, then fit pads, calipers, check everythings in place, do up fluid lid, bonnet down, refit wheels, torque up, then go test drive.

You're telling me with parts that £90 is expensive, was that also with VAT which is 17.5% he didnt charge you, sorry to be blunt but reality check, time = money, what you want it done for, FREE, thats just pedantic, the fact he did offer to do the work so it passed then & there shows you he's not ripping you, yes he got the work doing it but who wouldnt if they were not passable, he could of failed it & then you have a car illegally on the road & have to find more time (which you're to busy to get pads done in 1st place) to get pads done & no use of your car, which would you prefer?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at you, just showing you the reality of the point as if he charged you £200 I'd be saying 1st in line thats ripping your butt out, but £90, no way in hell is that tight & the fact you told them to do, its down to you to ask prices & pad types, so cant really whinge about it, I think he was very fair.

i agree with NHN £90 is a fair price labour rate is probably £50- 60 per hour pads £25ish seems right to me.

Top tip....always get the garage to call you before they do ANY work....
I tell them if its windscreen wipers or bulbs then get on with it and don't bother me. ANYTHING else call me 1st !
I have been well & truely stung by BMW Main Dealers in the past.....lesson learnt !

I tell them if its windscreen wipers or bulbs then get on with it and don't bother me. !

Have you seen what Audi charge to change a bulb! I forgot to do a quick walk around before putting the car in for an MOT (B5 A4 no bulb warning) I had 2 bulbs out and they charged me £5 for the bulbs & £30 labour + VAT I was well done over that day:slapped: But they are a dealership and only in it for the money!

For a new set of front pads and discs they were wanting to charge me £170 for the fronts only and £140 for the rears! I did them myself and found that the discs were absolutely fine. Cost me £45 for four sets of Mintex pads.

I use an independent now for my Audi....Volks Service in Blackpool - who are tops incidently.

But what REALLY bugs me about the B6 Audi is changing the rear bulbs in the Avant ! The Owners Manual tells you that if a bulb goes, take it to your local Audi Dealer to get fixed ! WTF !!!!

I work on really complex electonic systems that go in aircraft and they tell me I cannot change a bulb without resorting to a Main Dealer ! I am sure that Audi must think a lot of the people that buy their cars must of come down in the last shower of rain.....and are rubbing their miserly hands everytime a punter pitches up to aget a light bulb changed !

I remember i took my gfs car to ford for its service.

Now bearing in mind its a 1998 R reg fiesta with 105,000 miles and worth less than about £750, however it is better looked after than the prime minister's diary

They phoned me with a list as long as my johnson of work that needing doing, total bill for a standard service plus all unnecessary work was £950.00

This includes a change of washer fluid, 2 litres for £30.00, now bearing in mind it was full when i took it in!! utterly amazing.

Plus other items which did not need replacing such as brake discs which were apparently warped!, i put new f*****g brake discs on myself a few months previously, suffice to say i told them where to go and was tempted to report them to ford head office for over charging and trying to de fraud me with unnecessary work.

I had some of the work checked by a friend afterward.....nothing needing doing at all.

The biggest frauds are the stealers!