They see me rollin', they hatin...... the new S3 BE

omg! i need some of this jetseal stuff.. awesome finish on the paint War!! :hubbahubba:

Cheers; it is immense stuff, but as I read on the detailing forum, it will only highlight whats underneath, so prep is key. I can't begine to tell you how much I dispise cleaning cars, but give it a fighting chance from the off and the negative effects of the first winter should be marginalised.

Warren I'm very jealous, its very very beautiful :wub:

Ah mate; appreciate your comments. Never goign to be to the standard of workmanship on yours, but for a work horse I intend to try and keep it looking sharp.

lol, so thats why you were up so early this morning!!! Well you got alot done and it looks ace. Dont think they sell that over here so may have to get some posted over!

lol, so thats why you were up so early this morning!!! Well you got alot done and it looks ace. Dont think they sell that over here so may have to get some posted over!

If ever you want some just let me know and I'll get some sent over to you Sarah, I've never seen depth of shine like it. I'm not sure the wax layer can add any benefit looks wise.

And you're right, I was awake at 6, out at 6:30 and on it until 9:00am so an early start. I'm absolutely knackered and I've got to get spacers on tonight (I'm not sure there is a jack as there is no spare tyre which could present a challenge!).

how much is this jetseal stuff then? and where can we get it?!

Got mine HERE as it's 10% off at the moment! What can you get for 20 sheets these days? Nothing worth emptying your 'bags' for that's for sure.

Warren... If you have the time can you whack up all the products you used and the order in which you done the car?? Very keen to do this to mine!!

Does any of it affect an Supaguard treatment?

Ta

Saw this in the flesh today, albeit tucked away in the garage with polish curing on the rear quater panel and have to say, up close the paint is stunning but I don't envy you having to keep it clean!

Thanks again for the Revo Hook up buddy and I look forward to seeing where you go with this one.

Cheers

Paul

Warren... If you have the time can you whack up all the products you used and the order in which you done the car?? Very keen to do this to mine!!

Does any of it affect an Supaguard treatment?

Ta

I told dealer to leave Supaguard paint protection off as it would be more hassle than worth and they'd likely swirl the paint. They just did interior fabrics.

Today I used:

1) Autoglym clay bar & lube kit (link)
2) Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleanser (LINK)
3) Meguairs Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish (Link)
4) Jetseal 109 - link above
5) Autoglym Hi Definition wax (link)

I'll be topping the wax coat up after each wash with Meg's NXT wax spray because it's easy to use.

And because I needed the exercise it was all done by hand, no polisher (well actually I had no clean polishing bonnets so I didn't have a choice!)

Saw this in the flesh today, albeit tucked away in the garage with polish curing on the rear quater panel and have to say, up close the paint is stunning but I don't envy you having to keep it clean!

Thanks again for the Revo Hook up buddy and I look forward to seeing where you go with this one.

Cheers

Paul

Good to see you Paul, hope the cars settling into adaptation well!

Car is now fully cleaned and I've even put the plates back on!

Very nice car!
The S3 mirrors against the black make it look so much more special.

For the BE wheels I used "gtechniq c5", it left the grey bit feeling smooth instead of the matt feel and added to the sheen. It's expensive though at £30 an applictaion and a pain to prep the wheels for.

Tonight I got some silver paint to paint the hubs when I put the spacers on, and the new whiter fog light bulbs arrive tomorrow to be fitted.

I've already got a tiny stone chip on the rear near side alloy so I'm wondering if they need treating / coating.....

Next update:

Right, first things first, an easy job to fix an oversight by VAG group as I didn't fancy another dose of rusty manky hubs, so before they're had a chance to get completely rank they were coated with some silver paint around the outer edge of the flange (was worried if I did the front of the hub I may get wheel vibration):

web.jpg

and then if you add a 10mm spacer:

web.jpg

Without spacers on the nearside:

web.jpg

And with a spacer on the offside (it's only 10mm, so not a huge difference):

web.jpg

Then the dealer printed number plates had to go as they were full of Ridgeway logo's, so some plain ones have been fitted (without screws like the OEM ones) - no photos for obvious reasons!

Tomorrow I've got some white-ish fogs going in and then that will be it until Revo goes on.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic, you will love the Revo on your new S3, had MY11 TTS done last month after they discovered they had to build a new map for the latest spec ECU, it has totally transformed the TT, had 317bhp on a rolling road day at Awesome in Manchester with the R32 guys.

jontymo

Car looking awesome warren

I was just wondering how the spacers effect steering I mean I have experienced the effect alloys with the wrong offset can cause like tramlining all over the place.

Car looking awesome warren

I was just wondering how the spacers effect steering I mean I have experienced the effect alloys with the wrong offset can cause like tramlining all over the place.

Steering feels just a touch stiffer to turn, but so far no ill effects. Once the car has bedded in and settled down I'll have it checked (when the WALKS go on).

You've done something to stop the hubs going rusty there, but I can't quite tell what you've done. Have you replaced the part, or put something over it?

Do you have any part numbers for whatever you did, I'm very tempted to do the same once mine gets here.

Paddy, you're a genius mate, I'm going to get some high temp silver or black paint and paint the outer hub flange whilst sorting the spacers.

Top man.

Tis true, my 6 month old S3 has pretty much orange rear hubs! Need to get that sorted.

Warren - Can you tell me a bit about your spacers? I'm thinking about getting some for mine. Any issues with steering feel etc once fitted? I take it your are fitting them to OEM wheels and shocks?

Car looks amazing!

I'm not joking when i say this, but i have spent near half an hour staring at those pics. Well done Warren chuffed for ya & also highly jealous. NICE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

War, is it wrong that when i look at these two pics i actually try to lick the screen? :laugh:

Cheers mate, blood sweat & tears. If only it would last for the effort expended!! Doesn't look like that now.

Some more good news, Forge spacers have been fitted and wheels balanced and the vibration has gone. One factory balanced wheel was 35g out, another was 10g out. Nice one Audi! Now got a bit of stance!

What these hub spares actually do to the car? Do you get better grip, handling etc? or its just to make the wheels fill archers better?

Cheers

Just fill the wheel arches out, probably put all the running gear under a tiny bit more stress, weight the steering up very slightly (which actually feels better)

Mine arrived - looks kind of similar to yours - although my pic doesn't benefit from nice lighting like yours! Finished running the engine in (according to the handbook) and now can explore the right hand side of the rev counter which has certainly been entertaining.

3736-s3.jpg

Gandy

You've put some quick miles on that!

Welcome to the clan, swirls marks and hours of thankless cleaning! Looking good.

Mine arrived - looks kind of similar to yours - although my pic doesn't benefit from nice lighting like yours! Finished running the engine in (according to the handbook) and now can explore the right hand side of the rev counter which has certainly been entertaining.

3736-s3.jpg

Gandy

this is serious ride mate! Love it in black BE however Ibis white gets better front end contrast:].

Not sure how I missed this thread.
Looks great Warren, looking forward to tracking the progress on this car.

Love the hub painting idea.
Will certainly do the same while I fit my spacers.

this is serious ride mate! Love it in black BE however Ibis white gets better front end contrast:].

Thanks mate. I am loving it. I like the Black BE too - it looks so stealthy and badass - and it is! I am not 100% sure on the silver wing mirros mine has, but I suppose you have to have a bit of bling. I did consider white - it would have looked sweet with the opensky roof I have. I suppose I just figured I wanted it to be more of a sleeper.

Warren - I do big miles I already put 1,300 on it in 20 days of ownership! And you are right on the cleaning a definite labor of love!

Gandy

Mine got delivered on Wednesday and like yours Warren, seems to have LOADS of orange sticky dots that normal washing won't remove. Any idea what that is? Mine is Ibis as well so you can't help but notice them! Bit poor considering it's brand new so set off yesterday to buy the products mentioned in this thread and spent all yesterday claying it...I only got one half done and ran out of light so I'm looking to finish it today :)

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the car though, I really cannot stop driving it! Any spare time I have I'm straight back in it. It's such a nice to place to be and I love my buckets lol...even my girlfriend is getting mad at me as I'd rather be driving the car than spending time with her haha.

I'll set up a new thread and try post some pictures later today once I've finished the detail.

And Warren - Just want to say thanks for acting the 'guinea pig' on the whole remapping situation and for the decent write up the other day..as always, helpful and informative. I cannot wait to get it mapped and am eager to see the outcome to your experiment. Good luck!

Andy

Mine got delivered on Wednesday and like yours Warren, seems to have LOADS of orange sticky dots that normal washing won't remove. Any idea what that is? Mine is Ibis as well so you can't help but notice them! Bit poor considering it's brand new so set off yesterday to buy the products mentioned in this thread and spent all yesterday claying it...I only got one half done and ran out of light so I'm looking to finish it today :)

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the car though, I really cannot stop driving it! Any spare time I have I'm straight back in it. It's such a nice to place to be and I love my buckets lol...even my girlfriend is getting mad at me as I'd rather be driving the car than spending time with her haha.

I'll set up a new thread and try post some pictures later today once I've finished the detail.

And Warren - Just want to say thanks for acting the 'guinea pig' on the whole remapping situation and for the decent write up the other day..as always, helpful and informative. I cannot wait to get it mapped and am eager to see the outcome to your experiment. Good luck!

Andy

It's all good fun isn't it! As it's my second there's just a warm feeling of newness rather than pure novelty value, but then I don't ge bucket seat lovin'!

Not sure if orange dots will be badly applied wax, or tree sap but trees don't tend to sap at this time of year so????.

I'm going to get mine protection detailed soon as the elements seem to be taking their toll. Despite best efforts swirls seem to be appearing by the day, so want to stop the onset ASAP.

Sure mapping issues won't be too hard to fathom, I've been looking at the intake side in detail and it's not pretty!

I'm going to get mine protection detailed soon as the elements seem to be taking their toll. Despite best efforts swirls seem to be appearing by the day, so want to stop the onset ASAP.
what type or cloths are you using buddy micro fibre i hope :rulez: lol , black is the worst colour for swirling tho , my own car has got some nasty nasty swirls in her bodywork from this years car shows , can't wait for next year to give her a dam good detail so she is ready again for the shows one of my pet hates seeing swirls in my paint i hate it but they do appear so easily

what type or cloths are you using buddy micro fibre i hope :rulez: lol , black is the worst colour for swirling tho , my own car has got some nasty nasty swirls in her bodywork from this years car shows , can't wait for next year to give her a dam good detail so she is ready again for the shows one of my pet hates seeing swirls in my paint i hate it but they do appear so easily

Sheepskin wash mit, Megs Waffle drying town, Auto Glym microfibre cloths (with a mix of a few other brands).

I don't have a machine polisher hence I'm going to pay to get the car properly detailed in 2012 once weather settles.