1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermostat ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by hilly, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hilly

hilly Member

my s3 temp does not reach 90 or sometimes does then drops back to the mark below 90.i am right in thinking this is the thermostat? or could it be temp sensor?:think:

2. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Thermostat, mines doing the same after changing my temp sender.

3. DavidW

DavidW Member

Sounds like the most likely cause. It's a bit of a pig to fix because it's tricky to get to but anyone with basic spanner skills should be able to sort it.

4. hilly

hilly Member

cheers,will have to sort it soon it bugs me lol!

5. handy andy

handy andy Member

Just done both..CTS and the thermostat.As it was doing the same as yours.

I thought i would try the CTS first as it was the eisier of the two to replace.After a couple of days driving the car after replacing the result was...The needle was a little more stable,as it was going upto about 80 then moving up and down a bit!

So earlier this week i replaced the thermostat and Bobs your uncle.Sits at bang on 90 and gets there in about 5 mins,even in these temperatures!And my MPG's are much better...Thank God!

My advice would be to follow my route as the CTS was £31 and if that cures it you'll save yourself another £25 and the hastle of fitting the thermostat.

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

My temp gauage hardly moves at all, got the fault on vagcom so chaged the temp sender but no luck. Could it be the thermostat?

BTW whats the CTS?

Allan

7. DavidW

DavidW Member

Coolant Temp Sensor, have a habit of going chips without any really obvious side effects but can cause bad MPG. Since I changed my thermostat it gets up to temp quickly and now always sits at 90, very handy at this time of year as cold running really increases fuel consumption.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

ah ok, thanks. My CTS should be fine as it was changed last week, hopefully should be thermostat then...

9. dany2k

dany2k Member

andy mate, where on earth did you buy a temp sender for £31?? i got mine for £12: even the original thermostat from tps is £15.

i had the exact same problem, and ended up changing the cts... was the thermostat for me too :)

10. handy andy

handy andy Member

Danny
    Got it from TPS as recomended.Seemed expensive £26 ish +the dreaded VAT.That is a good price you where quoted...I should buy a couple to keep in stock fella.

11. dany2k

dany2k Member