Thermostat housing wont seal after 'stat replacement

DanielJames

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased an A4 Avant TDi with the PD130 engine. Very happy with the car, but as soon as I got it I noticed it wasn't getting up to temperature often so replaced the thermostat.

Straight away I had a coolant leak, I thought it must have been from the crappy gasket that was included with the thermostat so yesterday I got the proper OEM O ring for the housing and thought it was solved. This morning I still have a patch of water under the car and the car is leaking coolant from the bottom of the housing.

Has anyone had this before??

Thanks
Dan

It sounds like the Thermo is not seated right, mine did this first time round, make sure it is sat in the housing before fitting, the only way i got round it, been like that for 4 months now with no problems !!

It sounds like the Thermo is not seated right, mine did this first time round, make sure it is sat in the housing before fitting, the only way i got round it, been like that for 4 months now with no problems !!

What sit the stat in the housing before placing it into the block?

Yes that's how your supposed to fit them. That's what the little black fingers are for, you put the stat in and twist it behind the fingers.
Also check that you haven't over tightened and cracked the housing.

Reactions: ruffrida
Yes that's how your supposed to fit them. That's what the little black fingers are for, you put the stat in and twist it behind the fingers.
Also check that you haven't over tightened and cracked the housing.

Thanks for the help, but false alarm!

It turns out the new O-ring did actually solve the problem :think: The residue must have been from the previous leak :detective2:

Thanks once again :)

Reactions: ruffrida