1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermostat help

Spatula Jan 31, 2013

1. Spatula

Spatula A4 B6

Hello,

I know this has probably been covered already, but I'm in need of help! I have just come to change my thermostat as it's knackered. So I followed a guide and got to the point where I remove the hose prior to thermostat. Engine coolant is now all over my garage floor. I expected some but not the lot. Is there any cut off to minimilise coolant loss? If not, where/how do I drain the coolant sufficiently? Is there somewhere near rad?

Pleassseee helpp! :)

Thank you.

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

There is a plug by the RAD, but it sounds like the damage has been done, there wont be much more coming out....:icon_thumright:

3. Spatula

Spatula A4 B6

lol ok. I'll see how it goes.. I only got my t/belt and water pump done yesterday with fresh g12... which is now all over my garage floor :p.

Well I'll try and bucket the rest out of my rad and put it back in..

4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Hmmm it would have been a good shout to do the thermostat at the same time then...;)

5. Pabl0

Pabl0 Member

I got a lot more out once I'd removed the housing, so be warned and cover the dip stick tube ;-)

6. Spatula

Spatula A4 B6

The housing came straight out with the clip that holds it on to the block.. I think it's already been snapped and shoved back in, so i'll buy a new one.

I did ask the bloke to change it out when doing the w/pump and t/belt, but he just didn't bother.
    So I did it lastnight, it wasn't as hard as I thought to undo the bottom bolt, seeing as I had the tools. I think the hardest part was trying to put the butter fly clip back on to the hoses. I ended up using a jubilee clip..

Also, the t/stat that I took out was completely snapped, i.e. the only part that was in there was the metal ring. No spring or cylinder.. I have no idea how/where that stuff has disappeared. Anyway I replaced it and now she sits at 90 perfectly ;-).

Thanks for your help, and I'm sure i'll be back soon with more questions.

- Spat