1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermostat change.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by handy andy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. handy andy

handy andy Member

Hi,
    I have the usual temp gauge issues at the moment,coupled with poor economy.
    So i took a trip down to TPS last week and picked up a coolant temperature sender.Then fitted it hoping that it would cure my problems...
    It didn't,what it did do was stabilise the gauge.It now sits at around 80 and only rises above when driven hard!

So today i picked up the thermostat and some G12 to top up my coolant level.

Advise please....

Could someone confirm that the thermostat is in the top hose/plastic housing entering the block?
    Also to bleed the air from the system after toping up to the mark...Run the engine with the expansion tank cap removed until upto temperature-90?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy
  2. dany2k

dany2k Member

hi mate, its on the left hand side of the engine bay, next to/behind the alternator.
  3. handy andy

handy andy Member

Thanks.
    I take it you've done yours?Anything i need to know about removing air from the system?
  4. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

There's nothing to it mate - remove the -ve battery lead and pull the wire that's on the alternator, out of the way. I'd never done one before and it only took me about 30 minutes to do in total. Drain the coolant from the bottom right of the rad (as you look at the engine), change the stat, refill and let it burp a bit with the heaters on hot and the expansion cap off and then take it for a drive. Let it cool over night and then top it up and monitor over the next week or so :)
  5. future

future Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001

Run the car from cold till 90 with expansion cap off then once at 90 cap back on and drive :) and make sure u have a good flexi head type socket and a magnetic pick up for the bottom bolt

Tom
  6. handy andy

handy andy Member

Thanks Guys.

I want to try and get this done tonight if possible.
  7. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Easy peasy dude, just make sure you've got reasonable lighting, it makes it tons easier if you're doing it in the dark...
  8. dany2k

dany2k Member

yeah mate, i did mine a few weeks ago. as above, absolute doddle dont be scared to give it a shot!
  9. handy andy

handy andy Member

I just want to avoid draining the full system,if possible.

In the garage,so lots of light.
  10. handy andy

handy andy Member

Just had a quick look and WOW that bottom bolt on the plastic housing looks tight!!!!

Can it be done without removing the alternator or anything else???Any tips?

Great design that?!?!?!?
  11. dany2k

dany2k Member

unless uv got a baby sized hand and arm with immense strength, i dont think so :) as for the bolt it came off pretty easily tbh.
  12. finesse

finesse Active Member

13. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

You do NOT need to remove the alternator, just an extension and a 5mm allen socket
  14. Pabl0

Pabl0 Member

Did mine last weekend in the snow, don't be worried about draining the system, there not prone to air locks.

The lower bolt will come out but as said your need extensions and the flexi head on your socket. Mine was slipping alot as it was -4 outside and dark but once removed it didn't look at all rounded off. Magnetic probe is very useful, forgot mine and the lower bolt fell between the block and compressor, had to jack the car up and lie on a stella box in the snow + dark to get it :D

As welly said, lack of light makes its alot harder, its a case of look at what needs to be done and then feel as theres no room for your hands and arms.

J
  15. murran

murran Active Member

i did one at work the other week on a "ary" 180 audi tt.
    i was in one of those moods where i wasnt taking any ****.......
    i took the inlet manifold off! didnt actually take very long either and i didnt have to struggle with anything!

but on feeling from the inside at the water pump impeller i found that loose on the water pump as well.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  16. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

I did the bottom bolt first, let the coolant go when I did the top one, changed stat then topped it back up with G12. Simples
  17. dany2k

dany2k Member

i did have to on mine, i have a full set of tools and i wouldnt have removed it unless i really, really have to: i like taking shortcuts whenever i can :-D
  18. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

I normally undo the top bolt and slacken the lower, allows the alternator to pivot forward and gives much better access.
  19. dany2k

dany2k Member

good idea that welly. hopefully wont have to change it again in the lifetime of my ownership!
  20. handy andy

handy andy Member

Thanks for all the advice guys...

I managed to get it done last night without doing anything with the alternator..Just a couple of extensions on the ratchet!
    Once all back together,i let it run upto 90 on the guage then took it for a short run and back into the garage.

This morning topped the expansion bottle up.But not used it today yet.So i'll update when i've used it.

Thanks again for the help and advice lads much appreciated :yes: