There's one less S3 in the world (probably)

GeneralWest

Reaction score
I'm very sad to report that my S3 has been written off by the insurers.

I had a bump a couple of weeks ago (my fault :sorry:) and I was hoping the damage would be repaired. It was a low speed shunt so the damage wasn't too serious IMO. It was just light front end damage, but the estimator decided the bill was too steep! They are going to cough up what I paid for it (minus my excess of course). I asked about buying the car back to get the repairs done myself but they were having none of it.

Does anyone know what will happen to the car now? It was picked up by a "salvage company" from the bodyshop so I'm guessing it will go to auction so someone might get the chance to pick it up cheap and repair it or at least break it for parts. The rest of the was car was in good nick!

I've only had the car a couple of months but I have definatley decided that the S3 is the car for me, so I'll soon be looking for another one. I'll try not to break this one, promise.

sorry to hear but good to see your staying with an S3

Mate they are having you on, you have the right to buy the car back! Its usually between 10-20% of the value you will get paid out for it.

I would make some more serious enquiries into the matter, you have the choice whether you want it back or not!

Mate they are having you on, you have the right to buy the car back! Its usually between 10-20% of the value you will get paid out for it.

I would make some more serious enquiries into the matter, you have the choice whether you want it back or not!

Very sad to hear that mate, I hope it works out in your best interest, but like Faz mentioned you are the first person to buy it off them,:iagree: I was in similar position and this is the first thing I asked when they took mine away two weeks ago, and still waiting to get her back, but they told me if it was written off I would be first to buy her back.

Really!?! I've asked at least 5 different people at the insurer's and the engineer who assessed it they said I just didn't haven't that option.

TBH I'm not that bothered as long as I get the cash to buy another one (might be able to find a better one) but I did like that car a lot.

I won't be happy with them if they've lied to me, I'll check it out again tomorrow.

have they took it away ? as my brothers was and later he was told its 100 miles away and you can't buy it back.

I bought mine back, best money i ever spent.

We had the same from Tesco, they said no. Then a few days after payment we got a letter from the salvage company stating we had a week to claim the car back. We rang them and they gave us a price over the phone. They paid out 4700 less excess and we bought it back for 700.

Yes, it's probably long gone from the bodyshop by now. I collected my stuff from it early last week. I'll try and find out which salvage place it went to in the morning to see if it's worth the hassle of getting it back.

If you buy it back and do it up, you'll have your old machine back and running but you'll struggle selling it on if the time comes as it will be on HPI as a total insurance loss.

I'd just get another

My Passat was about to be written off due to repair costs after someone hit me, but it took the insurance company 12months+ to get the claim through cos the guy didn't own up! I told them I was unhappy that it took so long, that my car had depreciated, so was not cost effective, and they gave me the full payout for the repair(minus vat) and let me keep the car, so it wasn't written off! And I've repaired it myself with a couple of second hand doors!.

whilst I'd hope you can buy it back, I don't think it's your legal right at all.....

I know on both my policies I've had to state that I want salvage retention, which they're not so keen to agree to sometimes. onced they've paid out the value of the car, you have no legal claim to it I don't believe, and they are entitled to recover what costs they can.

Still, you need to think long and hard about what you can get with the money you've been given.

If it'll buy you a similar specced example, you're probably best off just buying a replacement, as a repaired CAT C/D S3 is always going to be a nightmare to sell in the future, and it CAN have insurance implications sometimes too

So the insurance company paid you what you had paid for it - which sounds perfectly fine. How did that compare with the book price of the car ? Had you bought it from a dealer or privately ?

Anyway, forget about having problems selling it in the future, etc if you think your car is worth keeping becasue you have spent much money on it or otherwise in it's mint condition or low mileage, etc then make the effort to buy it back ! You'll be quids in, keep it for a lot longer and when you sell it , so what if you get a grand less ? Any car, selling at the right price will sell. You will probably be at least a grand up after getting the car back and repaired providing you are careful with the repairs.

yup i agree with goal....if its cheap enough and your wanting to hang onto it for a while.....get it bought if at all possible

Goal.....is that chrome lining around your rear lights in your picture :)

yeh, I did get a bit carried away with the chrome striping ! I don't think it looks too bad from the back, but I think I've gone a bit overboard on the front end. In fact when I see any other S3 now I keep thinking they are bare ! You can certainly see me coming in your rear view mirror and on a sunny day , you might be blinded ! I tried to give it a cagey/prison bar look.

I'll post pic when i get a chance.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've spoken to the insurers again today, they say that under the terms and conditions of my policy I have no option to purchase the car back directly from them as once I have accepted their settlement they effectively own the car.

They did say that I might get a call from the salvage company in the next few weeks offering it to me but this is not guarenteed as it is up to them how best to dispose of the vehicle.

In any case by the end of the of the month I'll have about 6k to spend on an S3. Having thought about it I'd think rather go out and find a fresh one which might have less miles on it and I can put on the road straight away as not having my own car is doing my head in. Although I do get to drive my mate's M3 as a consolation but I'd still rather be in the S.

6k should be enough...Though the good ones are nearer 7