1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The usual Temp gauge problems!! any thought!?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jimbobean, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jimbobean

jimbobean New Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    right I have an s3 8l, prior to this I had an mk3 Ibiza cupra which the temp gauge never reached 90, replaced thermostat and happy days never had a problem...
    so I had same problem with my s3 with temp never reaching 90 , so I straight away replaced coolant temp sensor which dint change anything, so 3 weeks ago replaced the thermostat for a HANS PRIES thermostat off ebay for a fiver, and straight away it worked, temp reached 90 after few mins and car worked so much better, took it to work yesterday and temp rised to 70 then dropped to 60 when I stopped and left it idle, started car up again next morning and now its stuck on 60!
    I replaced the temp sensor again this morning and still the same.
    So my question is, is it my luck that the cheaper thermostat I fitted 3 weeks ago has now decided to go aswell or could there be another problem? Any advice would be good as we all know how these engine make you grit your teeth lol!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Cheap thermostats have a bit of a reputation for failing so I wouldn't rule it out pretty sure the Audi part is twenty odd quid! Saying that I fitted a a topran thermostat as it's what the place I use had in stock and haven't had a problem yet.
  4. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Get a proper Audi one my ebay failed after 8 months. Always use genuine parts for stuff like that faulty temp sensors & thermostats mess the whole system up, 3rd party parts always seem to fail.
  5. jimbobean

jimbobean New Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    yes I usually go with genuine parts but thought a cheap one would outlast the age of the car, anyway we learn from our mistakes!
  6. jimbobean

jimbobean New Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    the inside engine temp of the climate control panel only reads 60 degrees, must be thermostat???
  7. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Was going to suggest checking the climate control panel. does it warm up nicely from 0?
  8. jimbobean

jimbobean New Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Well funny you mention that, befor it was fixed first time the heater never used to get warm unless it was over 25 degrees, then when i fixed thermostat straight away it got warm alot sooner and only needed it setting at 21 to get car warm, since ive had the problem with temp gauge its back to it old way of not putting much heat through
  9. Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
  10. jimbobean

jimbobean New Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Cheers for that, saved the page will def come in handy!