The Thread Pre-fix Poll.....(CLOSED)

Should they stay or should they go?

• Total voters
I suppose a criteria would be, does the prefix influence whether you read the thread or even its title or not ? the answer would have to be "no" from me :)

I suppose a criteria would be, does the prefix influence whether you read the thread or even its title or not ? the answer would have to be "no" from me :)

And a yes from me. Sometimes I only get short periods to have a look during the day so I like it that I can jump straight to the S3 threads as I generally find them more interesting.

You'll notice that I have made votes public. ASN has certain members who seem to suffer from multiple personality disorder

People opening new accounts to alter the vote? AS.net's slowly becoming a banana republic, cant you use the IP's to name and shame?

As for the subject of the thread, I voted against for the following reasons:

I think it makes the forum look cluttered
Sometimes people dont use the correct option to label their thread which makes the whole idea redundant
Some threads apply to all versions of the A3

Now all I need to do is get General and Car Related Chat merged back together and my dastardly plan with be completed MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah just kidding its good to see the Mods try out stuff :)

So when does this poll actually end??
Don't tell me... when there are more 'for' votes than 'against' votes??? :undwech:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I promise that'll be my last one! ;)

No no Aythreee......it never ends....thats the clever bit...:shrug:

There's that cynicism showing it's head again. Sad.

The poll will close when it has run it's natural course.

Lighten up a bit Staz !! you gotta laugh about this or you will cry !! you word a poll " It can get quite tiring ignoring things " and then say "I'm" cynical ??

Last edited:
Right, Ive been indifferent so far on this, BUT Ive just started a thread so I can ask advice and moan about my clutch.

Now, obviously i was looking for the experience of fellow S3 owners but part of the question related to the specifics of dealer attitude/suspicions towards ramaps, which could be for any 8P.

So my main target reader was S3 owners but yet I suppose all 8P owners needed to see for me to get the most out of the question.

Anyway, in this scenario it wasnt obvious which pre-fix I should use, should have been S3 or 8P?

Cheers
Paul

That isn't cynicism, the clue's in the title of the thread "8P General The Thread Pre-fixed Poll!" ;)

It seems quite a few people are confused by this. If it applies to all versions then the 8P pre-fix is used!

But it isn't though, is it?! And it relies on people knowing what is specific to the S3. If an S3 is the only 8P they've ever had, they could genuinely think that a lot of components are unique to it, when they're not.

That isn't cynicism, the clue's in the title of the thread "8P General The Thread Pre-fixed Poll!" ;)

The cynicism I'm referring to is where certain members seem to think we're out for ourselves, we desperately want the pre-fixes to work no matter what, we don't care what the members think etc etc and the silly childish comments (which have mostly not been in jest) are quite pathetic and unnecessary. Especially in the original thread.

But it isn't though, is it?! And it relies on people knowing what is specific to the S3. If an S3 is the only 8P they've ever had, they could genuinely think that a lot of components are unique to it, when they're not.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fundamental lack of understanding that was shown by some users in the original thread.

Last edited:
Anyway, in this scenario it wasnt obvious which pre-fix I should use, should have been S3 or 8P?

Cheers
Paul

I understand your issue mate and I wish constructive feedback like this was given at the start so we could have highlighted how the prefixes should work.

In very basic terms if you're talking about something on your S3 that's unique to the S3 then use the S3 pre-fix. In the case of the clutch I have no idea if the 2.0T uses the same clutch but I would have gone for the S3 one as it's more likely to get S3 owners who may have experienced the same problems come in and have a read. And that's what's happened. Although how much, if any, can be attributed to the pre-fix is anyone's guess :nyah:

Well if its natural course is when people stop voting...we are there.

I could give a very IMHO fair overall view of this but if its going to be closed soon & decided on the voting then pointless.

Personally in its current state/incarnation its pretty pointless given the thought process in starting it was very poor & I'd say more selfish driven towards S3 owners not the whole 8P section as such, so for me I'd say get rid of it if its only as is or do you want more contructive ideas as to how it again IMHO should have been setup in the 1st place & amend it for another trial.

I do, as I feel with the correct implementation that benefits all users not just a select audience then it could be of use, but as is, its of no use at all.

:iagree:

I think it says a lot that out of 16,000 active members, 11 find it useful enough to say they want to keep it. And of those 11, some just see how it can benefit some people, not themselves.

Last edited:
At first i thought a better split would be Diesel/petrol or manual/dsg. Certainly diesel/petrol would be far more relevant than 8P/S3 which are essentially the same thing. 8P1/8P2/8P3 might make sense but when all is said and done there will always be exceptions to any division..which is why i have lost interest really. I think things were Fine as they were. No point in trying to think of a better system just for the sake of it. you could also say that the lack of response to the poll means that no one else really cares either ;-)
That said if anyone feels strongly either way then maybe now is the time to speak up ?

Last edited:
So how much longer will this poll run ???????????

It was closed yesterday. We're currently in discussions.

Out of interest.... what's to discuss??
The 26 that want rid is a majority. Even if you combine the Fors with the Don't Cares.

I could give a very IMHO fair overall view of this but if its going to be closed soon & decided on the voting then pointless.

Personally in its current state/incarnation its pretty pointless given the thought process in starting it was very poor & I'd say more selfish driven towards S3 owners not the whole 8P section as such, so for me I'd say get rid of it if its only as is or do you want more contructive ideas as to how it again IMHO should have been setup in the 1st place & amend it for another trial.
Yes please your input is welcomed.

What do YOU* want

*being the user of said forum.

You might not see what's to discuss but we do, so give us some time and then we'll get back to you. *Cue another poll from WiZBiT because this is obviously a delay tactic until you all forget about it and we can keep it as it is after all mwhahahahaaaa!*

I think A3/S3 classifieds should go on the A3/S3 threads as well :)

You might notice me trying some new things with the prefix system...

At the moment we've got some little icons I made and the prefixes are currently optional...

Tinkering may continue...

Cheers,

Rob.

Well we vote for no pre fixes and so there is a meeting and they get bigger !!

now you know why we were so sceptical !!

I supose as long as they remain optional they may just die out of there own accord but i still dont see the point in the first place.......

Those S3 / A3 logos are hurting my eyes and head .

Thats all really , they are massive , i have had to adjust my screen.

Do they really have to be that BIG.

In my opinion, with the large logos its harder to see which posts you have read and which ones you haven't. The bold text does not appear to stand out as much as before.

Also, just wondering why the A3(8L) section hasn't had the same treatment. Is it run by different moderators?

Well we vote for no pre fixes and so there is a meeting and they get bigger !!

now you know why we were so sceptical !!

I supose as long as they remain optional they may just die out of there own accord but i still dont see the point in the first place.......

Well yes the vote was against having the prefixes; however, rather than get rid completely, we're thinking of trying perhaps one or two other changes to see if it makes for a better compromise; which brings me neatly around to why they were here in the first place. Some users highlighted that perhaps it would be useful for A3 and S3 owners to be able to access posts most relevant to them quickly. We decided to try prefixes, as:

a) With two options it's quite straightforward to make a choice.
b) Their effect is selectable, users who wished to see threads of a certain type could choose to, otherwise it looked exactly the same.

...Anyway, obviously the majority aren't so keen, so we're trying other things to see if we can't strike a better balance.

Next is to shrink the icons a bit, and see if I can edit the template to line things up some.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, to those who just moaned - well, whatever...

Cheers,

Rob.

Ahh better size , i can see the threads again and not just some massive logos.