The Thread Pre-fix Poll.....(CLOSED)

Should they stay or should they go?

• Total voters

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
You'll notice that I have made votes public. ASN has certain members who seem to suffer from multiple personality disorder.

To take away the temptation to vote with more than one personality any votes by members who joined this month will have their votes deducted from the final result.

:hi:

EDIT: Original thread, now closed and unstuck:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=77447

Last edited:
lol

I have stuck my vote in too so it's level pegging! :rockwoot:

they're not hurtin anythin, can only be helpful in my eyes..

is this poll in the proper section?

how are people who don't frequent the IveGotAnS3WhatHaveYouGot section supposed to vote. you may argue that it only affects S3 owners, but if this vote is successful then surely you'll roll out the S3 Specific prefix to the other forums such as A4, A5, A6, etc. Don't their voices count? 16000 active users and only 3 like it - and two of the mod team don't care either way. you're onto a winner there!

To use the terminology of the daily mail or the guardian, at the moment 75% of respondents don't want it.

also, by cancelling the votes of new members aren't you skewing the results of the poll. are we to take from that that if you don't get the result you want after cancelling out the new members' votes that you will start cancelling other votes?

will the outcome be based on the majority - i.e. which answer gets the most votes - so if "i don't like it" gets 42% will that be the result or will you decide that since 23% of respondents like it and 25% don't care either way that the result is that it should stay? by that logic combining the 42% who don't want it with the 25% who don't care either way should mean that it goes.

That's the trouble with these polls that give you the option to say you don't know. In a referendum you don't get that option - it is either yes or no which eliminates all confusion. users who do not care should just abstain from voting.

is this poll in the proper section?

how are people who don't frequent the IveGotAnS3WhatHaveYouGot section supposed to vote. you may argue that it only affects S3 owners, but if this vote is successful then surely you'll roll out the S3 Specific prefix to the other forums such as A4, A5, A6, etc. Don't their voices count? 16000 active users and only 3 like it - and two of the mod team don't care either way. you're onto a winner there!

To use the terminology of the daily mail or the guardian, at the moment 75% of respondents don't want it.

The prefix system was trialed here and currently we had no intention of rolling it out across any of the other platforms. It was used here first as it had be drawn to our attention that the S3 and non S3 8P members wanted to find related threads easier, either by sub forums, or prefix. We tried the prefix way to see if it gave the required outcome.

There is nothing to stop any registered user from voting regardless of the platform of car they have. If they are new users they could potentially be 2nd accounts ( don't argue it does happen) or new users that don't actually know how it was before the prefix system so their votes are unable to be counted.

I find it quite curious out of all the members that wanted this poll how few people have actually bothered to vote.

I voted either way as i can adapt my surfing habits according to whether the prefixes are there or not, so it does not bother me,not that i should have to justify myself to anyone on here,or anywhere for that matter

Professor Doom

I welcome any result. It seems you have the impression that I really really really really x 1 billion gazillion want this prefix idea and will do anything to make sure it stays. Can you find a post by me that says anything like that?

If for example 200 people vote that they don't care and 5 people vote yes and 5 no then I would take that as the system isn't necessary for the majority of users and I would agree that it should be removed. That's the entire reason for the third choice. Without that choice we wouldn't know that information and some users may be swayed to select one of the other choices even though they don't fully agree with them.

I have explained the reason for not accepting votes for new users. It may well adjust the results but it will be a tiny proportion and I hope the results are not that close that it makes any difference.

How about taking some of that negativity out of your next post please. This is a friendly forum, with a friendly question about something that even from the start was stated would be a trial.

so what happens if a lurker decides that they want to sign up in order to vote? will you be contacting each voter individually to perform a background check? you may have somebody, like myself, who doesn't feel they have much to contribute in terms of offering advice on tuning and fitting stereos and ipods and whatnot, wants to sign up to make their voice heard.

the people who don't want the prefix may just have decided not to vote since it looks as if it will not be a true poll. who are the returning officer? robert mugabe and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

so what happens if a lurker decides that they want to sign up in order to vote? will you be contacting each voter individually to perform a background check? you may have somebody, like myself, who doesn't feel they have much to contribute in terms of offering advice on tuning and fitting stereos and ipods and whatnot, wants to sign up to make their voice heard.

the people who don't want the prefix may just have decided not to vote since it looks as if it will not be a true poll. who are the returning officer? robert mugabe and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

We have no intention of contacting everyone that is new, as stated above, for the above reasons. You too are welcome to vote if you wish, I do not see any stipulations on knowledge on the poll at all. I am sure if someone really wants to get their voice heard they will contact a member of staff to explain..

If people fail to vote that too is their perogative.

If a lurker wants to vote then they can vote :think: Why are you trying to make this more complex than it is?

We can't win. I stated that we'd get back about a poll, basically when it was decided what would be the outcome of a result either way was decided. The members grew impatient so we decided to put the poll up anyway, as was asked. Now you're complaining that it's not a true poll!

AND you're again suggesting that we'd fix the results!!! How on earth could we do that when all aspects of the poll are freely available for all to scrutinise!?

I find it quite curious out of all the members that wanted this poll how few people have actually bothered to vote.

I don't.
They probably just haven't logged on or noticed it yet.
When they see it I'm sure they'll be voting.

I'm surprised to see my "It can get quite tiring ignoring things" comment has made it into the poll though. Particularly as it was said with tongue slightly in cheek, amongst other things.

Having put "I can see how they benefit others so let them stay " on the for side, I would've thought something like "They are there mostly for the benefit of S3 owners and don't really benefit anyone else" would've been more fitting and relevant on the against side.

I was just trying to be funny aythreee :icon_thumright:

163 views and a hand full of votes...mmm. Maybe the world won't end if it stays. :faint:

If find it a bit complicated, since there are so many threads that refer to both models.

Or others start about an A3 for example and end talking about S3s :)

Well i only juist found the poll so i expect other will not find it at all...We need a prefix for polls as well now.

Anyway its 14 v 5 so shall we wrap it up now ? :yes:

Personally I think its fine. It allows you to skim over thread titles more quickly and only look at ones which you may be more interested in.

I don't particularly mind either way as long as the title of the thread is descriptive enough I can find the threads I'm interested in - S3 or otherwise. I tend to ignore the S3 / 8p prefix but if it helps others then great, the prefix system doesn't negatively impact my use of the forum though... my 2 cents.

PS: I dont have an S3... yet :)

Last edited:
Personally I think its fine. It allows you to skim over thread titles more quickly and only look at ones which you may be more interested in.

Until somebody labels their thread incorrectly, and then it gets missed by "those who skim thread titles quickly and only look at ones they may be interested in."

This is the point I was making from the off, and there it is, straight from one horse's mouth.

I'm not a fan I must admit. Well-intentioned idea no doubt, but it's an overcomplication in my honest, unimportant opinion

:hi:

Holly!

I'm pleased with how this thread is running guys. Although it's been a bit heated of late I hope you can see that our intentions were only to make the site better. Maybe not for all but in some way at least.

I'm always happy to hear criticisms but I have been pretty disappointed in certain posts that suggest that we would rig the votes to go 'our way'. I'd hate to go through life with such cynicism over simple little things.

Well i only juist found the poll so i expect other will not find it at all...We need a prefix for polls as well now.

It's sticky thread at the top of the forum that it's related to. Not sure where else it could be more pertinent!

PS: I would've thanked that post, but we're level pegging at the moment!

EDIT - Mitch just thanked it. You're one up now!! :bye:
Might as well make it two!! :mad:

One again :o.k:

I'm always happy to hear criticisms but I have been pretty disappointed in certain posts that suggest that we would rig the votes to go 'our way'. I'd hate to go through life with such cynicism over simple little things.

Conspiracy! Only joking :friends:

4 of those are!

But let's not get nitpicky.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I don't want it to seem like I'm dragging up a post to annoy anyone, but I've been locked out of the system due to what is technically known as a "**** up" with the system - Thanks for resetting my account Glen!

None of the threads I linked to were specific to the S3:

Wheels - The same for any 8P

Panel filter - Same for S3/2.0T/2.0TQ

Issue with S-line arch liner not meeting an S3 bumper - Applies to any car except an S3

iPod control with a Symphony II Head Unit - Same for any 8P

Main dealers that aren't bothered about remaps or mods - Same for any car, never mind any 8P

Best way to launch Haldex - Same for any 8P Quattro

Panel filter again - Same for S3/2.0T/2.0TQ

Then there are all the threads about bucket seats. I know that you get them in S3s, but of all the people that have bought them to retro fit them, I don't think anyone has actually done it to an S3 (maybe when mattandrew swapped his car, but they went in a non-S3 first), so it's more use to everyone else.

well, I'm middle of the road - can take it or leave it. TBH, I rarely actually start threads so its no hardship to have to occasionally mark a small box. I read most threads unless I see they are diesel specific subjects for e.g. that I have no knowledge of.