The story of my dodgy alarm... any help welcome

clare326

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Having found a lot of your posts very helpful in the past, I'm hoping that you can help me with my alarm issue.

I have an Audi A3 1.9 turbo diesel, 2003, 5 door, and have driven it happily for 2 1/2 years, without alarm problems.
I recently got a dog and for the first time used the internal sensor over-ride button, just below the driver's door latch.

Quite randomly the siren started sounding whilst I was driving, then I had no issues for a few days. Now it seems I can't lock the car without the alarm going off after either a few minutes or a few hours.

I have tried:
locking it with/without the internal sensor
locking it with the key instead of the fob
removing the fuse for the anti-theft system
none of which have worked.

When the siren sounds, the hazards do not flash.
When I open the car the siren continues, and will only silence when I start the engine.

No warning lights appear for open doors or the boot.

Any clues on what is affecting the sounder? It doesn't seem like the full alarm is going off, as no hazards etc.

Baffled!

First thing if possible would be to get it checked with VCDS to see what if any fault codes are present.

It seems a bit coincidental, but the rechargeable batteries in the sirens do fail and leak over the circuit board causing all kinds of weird siren/alarm related issues. But, it does seem as if your problems started when you've used your interior sensor button, so it might not be that.