The spread of the Dangerous No Spare Tyre Virus

BYD

Reaction score
Email to Dear Audi/Michelin

Bank holiday Monday, I suffered catastrophic tyre failure on a virtually brand new rear tyre on my Q5 TDI. Wheels never curbed, pinched, gouged, or Pothole dropped, this puncture I first noticed at half deflation, I had to leave it till the morning. Re-inflated the now completely deflated tyre with the pump which fused the boot accessory socket. I then drove 1,2 miles to the nearest repairer. Inflation off the car showed an inner wall Grapefruit sized bulge. An immediate replacement was not available locally anywhere, so my optional Spacesaver was fitted and I returned 200miles home leaving luggage behind. On demounting the tyre, the lining was almost completely delaminated with no obvious puncture or debris. Visually uninflated the outer tyre body showed no visible damage.

My question and enquiries are:
As a completely deflated tyre, is the standing weight of the car which is 1820+Kg enough without driving it at all, sufficient to cause the catastrophic wall rupture and internal lining separation seen? It could have had half pressure at 30mph before I noticed the flat? But thats unlikely!

Now any spare wheel is unavailable at all, and the repair kit is standard on virtually the entire model range of the majority of manufacturers. The repair gum kit I have, if I needed to use it, may have been enough to get me home. However the tyre would have been extremely dangerous to drive with! Thus exposing all occupants to a total blowout explosion, which if you have ever seen or suffered, which I have twice, could possibly have completely destroyed the rear wing let alone my family.

Is there an answer and comment to my question and comment? Many thanks in advance for your kind attention.

Email to Michelin

I'm asking a question not seeking compensation?

Kind regards

Email from Michelin
Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear of the problem you have experienced with the MICHELIN tyre fitted to your vehicle.
The most common cause of a puncture is a penetration of the tyre by a road hazard, such as a nail, thereby letting air escape. Depending upon the size of the puncture, the tyre may deflate either slowly or rapidly.
In the case of a slow puncture, a nail could have been picked up some time previously, and as the tyre heats up, such as on a long journey the rubber expands releasing the nail resulting in a rapid deflation.
Other causes include sidewall damage such as a pinch rupture due to the tyre being severely distorted when trapped between the wheel and some solid object, such as the kerb or a pothole.
The materials used in the construction of Michelin tyres are of high quality but can still be as susceptible to punctures as any other tyre.

In order for us to be able to comment on the problem, we would be grateful for the opportunity for our tyre experts, based at Stoke-on-Trent, to inspect the tyre.
Michelin Tyre PLC follows the British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (BTMA) procedure for the return of tyres to manufacturers in these circumstances. The procedure can be found at http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Consumer guide to tyre warranty complaint process 30 May 2012.pdf.
In order for the tyre to be returned to us, please contact your tyre dealer who will return it for you. Unfortunately, we do recognise that the need to return the tyre may result in you having to purchase a replacement tyre.
We have found that the most effective way for a customer to return the tyre is to liaise with the dealer from which the tyre was originally purchased (or to the vehicle dealer if the tyres were fitted when you purchased the vehicle). If this is not practical, please approach any reputable tyre dealer and ask for their assistance. Please obtain a receipt from the dealer to confirm you have passed the tyre to them.
You will be asked to complete a complaint form (for your information this can be found at http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Standard-application-form-(SAF).pdf). The dealer will then organise for the tyre and complaint form to be returned to us. One of our tyre experts will inspect the tyre and prepare a report. We cannot provide reports on any tyres which we have not had the opportunity to inspect.
We recognise that unfortunately it may be the case that there is a concern with the tyre for which a customer should be compensated. If this is the case, we will issue a credit note to the dealer from which we received the tyre. The dealer will forward the payment to you. Compensation will be based on the price of the tyre and the remaining tread depth.
We will endeavour to inspect the tyre and report to you within 28 days from your leaving the tyre with the dealer.May we suggest that if you have not heard from us within 28 days, you contact us directly on 0845 3661590.
If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us, quoting the reference number above.
Kind Regards
Julie
Customer Contact Team
Michelin

Don't get me started, Goodyear are a complete farce & I will never buy there tyres again, several of my tyres exhibited tearing around the edges & they blamed it on running flat, course it ran flat you cretins it blew up on a test drive ***.

Tyre companies have such a monopoly in so much they take no responsibility for an actual tyre fault, its ridiculous.