1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The saga continues...

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Vertigo1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Apr 9, 2014]
    Well I finally got my car back after six days at the dealer. Sooo nice to have it back after a litany of loaners but alas no resolution as yet.

It originally went in for yet another recurrence of the non-functional TMC and missing summertime option. They said there was a software update available for it, which appears to be the latest version of the MMI software that many recent purchases have already got. As mine was a very early car it has older software.

They tried to update it and it failed miserably and they've been trying to rectify it ever since. As they have to deal with Audi UK in Milton Keynes, and they in turn have to talk to the factory in Germany, it was taking forever.

Today they finally had word that Audi had conceded there was an issue with the software update and a new version was in the works so the dealer has returned my car until that's ready then we'll try again.

Checking things over, my TMC and summertime options are back ironically, but all the voice input and output is kaput. Voice control doesn't work at all, nor does the nav give any voice directions. Annoying but not the end of the world in the short-term.

As for the software update itself, I've noticed two features which have been discussed on here before have appeared on mine. First is the Messages option in the telephone menu. Second, and more interesting, is the Wifi music streaming has appeared, despite me not having Connect, which I thought was required for this.

The Wifi stuff is very odd. I can connect my phone to the car via Wifi but it's not like "normal" Wifi connectivity in that the phone still says it's on 3G and still has Internet connectivity via the 3G. So it's like it's connected to Wifi but only for certain functions, which I didn't even know was possible. I can use it to listen to Internet radio stations and also music on the phone as if it were an iPod. What's interesting is the latter function gives me the full media centre menu as if it were directly connected, so I can browse by artist, album and so on, rather than with bluetooth streaming which gives you no control via the MMI.

What I haven't quite worked out is whether I need the Audi Music Streaming app actually running in order for it to work. Need to play with it a little more.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Apr 13, 2014]
    Somehow I missed this thread, and I've been keeping an eye out for your updates as we are in similar positions.

Glad to hear you now have additional features and I hope they resolve the remaining functionality quickly.

They've had mine for 2 weeks and replaced the 5F unit twice in that time as nothing was working as it should. I am hoping this has resolved everything but your post has reminded me to check it all before I leave the dealers.

The courtesy cars they leant me both had WiFi, but seemingly only for music streaming and you had to use the app on your phone to do it. I agree, it seems a slightly odd feature and really isn't using the full potential of WiFi.

I'm looking forward to collecting mine tomorrow, its been two weeks too long.