The S3 just gained some respect

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Just had a proper burn up with a Boxter S. He just could not get away, and there i was thinking my car runs like a heap of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif. When we came to a standstill the passenger of the car jumped out, i thought he was going to hit me, anyway he jumped out and said with his finger pointing at the S3 "what is that?" I said 1.8 turbo, so he relayed it onto his mate driving, he said that's rapid. Anyway i pulled up beside and had a chat with the driver he said again "that's rapid" i said "well it's been chipped". He said so has mine, i can't believe it!!!!!!... Personally i think they were gobsmacked.

lol lol.......... Now i don;t want anyone telling me he wasnt trying coz he ****** well was.

Nice, I bet you had a MASSIVE smile on your face, I know the feeling. Glad you still enjoy the car, I think I will for years (not your's, mine!) :)

Rob, we are constantly on here around the same time, you stalking me LOL!

Straight line speed or on the twisties?

pretty much straight line, few bends but nothing severe. I know on some twisties he would have the advantage but i don't give up that easily.

well i ve read previously that the S3 is boxster performance as standard.

Matt

The S3 even in 210bhp standard form should be able to keep up with a standard original boxster 2.5L once moving - I have annoyed one on the A404 in the past, he just couldn't get passed me going up a hill to pull infront of me before getting to a car in his lane and had to brake rather hard! That said the newer boxster 2.7 and the 3.2S should beat a standard car without any trouble.

Here's some off topic food for thought for anyone that saw top gear last night and wants a CCX even half as much as I do. It has a power to weight ratio of 683BHP / 1000KG which is nearly 5 times that of a standard S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

and maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Here's some off topic food for thought for anyone that saw top gear last night and wants a CCX even half as much as I do. It has a power to weight ratio of 683BHP / 1000KG which is nearly 5 times that of a standard S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

and maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And not enough downforce to keep it planted on the twisties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Respect????

I lapped a Ferrari F355 at Knockhill last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

(my car's only slightly modified and it wasn't his Ferrari)

[ QUOTE ]
well i ve read previously that the S3 is boxster performance as standard.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

You've read wrong.
Not even close in the hands of a skilled wheelsman.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting...

I would have thought a boxster S would have been quicker...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is...if the driver knows how to drive.

Some may remember that I came accross a Boxster S that pulled out of a driveway in front on me, causing me to have to brake.

So I decided to teach him a lesson...

As some will know, my S3 wasn't exactly standard...and I could drive it to it's limit...

The day was wet (autumn), through twisties, covered in places by teees so the roads were greasy.

The Boxster out accelerated, out braked and out cornered my S3.
He could drive...

I was shocked...

A friend on mine has a standard 2.7 Boxster...on a 300 mile run through the highlands recently, I couldn't have passed him if I'd tried...in my C4S. The Boxster is a VERY competent car.

Don't underestimate Boxsters...

I followed a boxster s down the duel carriageway he couldn't get away but was suprised how well it went ,not bad for 260bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
I followed a boxster s down the duel carriageway he couldn't get away but was suprised how well it went ,not bad for 260bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I followed one (chased one) down to GTI Inl't one year...275+ BHP and 320+ lb-ft...and he pulled away top end...and was rock solid, whereas I was starting to move a bit.

The Boxster is very efficient in how it puts it's power down...like the 911. They go much better than the power would suggest...
And the Boxster is just such a sweet handling car to drive...near perfect balance and handling.

Jesus, I want a boxster now. How can I justify a car with 2 seats to my wife ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't...
A car like that you don't justify...it's a selfish choice. You just buy it...and when things get bad at home, you drive it and lift your mood.
Do it!

Ess_Three is right.
My sister let me drive her Box S (New model). It really opened my eyes to why ppl spend fortunes on buying a Porsche. I absolutely love them.

A boxster is such a perfectly poised car. In the corners, in the straights, under braking.... and then there's that lovely flat six engine note.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't...
A car like that you don't justify...it's a selfish choice. You just buy it...and when things get bad at home, you drive it and lift your mood.
Do it!

[/ QUOTE ]lmfao... been there... then sold it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Standard boxsters start at
205bhp for the 2.5
220bhp for the first 2.7
228bhp for post 2003 2.7
240bhp for current 2.7
252bhp for first 3.2S
260bhp for post 2003 3.2S
280bhp for current 3.2S
Quite a power spread
average age of boxster owner is mid forties and a lot of them drive like hairdressers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Standard boxsters start at
205bhp for the 2.5
220bhp for the first 2.7
228bhp for post 2003 2.7
240bhp for current 2.7
252bhp for first 3.2S
260bhp for post 2003 3.2S
280bhp for current 3.2S
Quite a power spread

[/ QUOTE ]

Same power spread for the S3 really...
A bad 210 to a properly sorted S3.

Pity the S3 will never have the chassis, handling or braking to match the Boxster...

Here's some video of me driving against my sister in her Boxster S at Bruntingthorpe test track.
As you can see, the boxster is slowly going, going, gone.....

right click, save... (46.5 MB)

http://www.glenster.co.uk/videos/s3/brunt_s3_boxS1.mpg

It's a fairly big file, so do not attempt using dialup.

p.s. Please excuse the in-car music.

<laugh>... more embarrassingly she was and still is pregnant during that driving episode.

She's even handier on two wheels. I completely eat her dust on ride outs/trackdays.

[ QUOTE ]
<laugh>... more embarrassingly she was and still is pregnant during that driving episode.

She's even handier on two wheels. I completely eat her dust on ride outs/trackdays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing like being owned by your sister! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked her till she got pregnant. Ever seen her getting out of the shower?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
&lt;laugh&gt;... more embarrassingly she was and still is pregnant during that driving episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...wrong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eeek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Although it will lap quicker given the right amount of mods,same can be said of a evo.

[ QUOTE ]

Pity the S3 will never have the chassis, handling or braking to match the Boxster...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Although it will lap quicker given the right amount of mods,same can be said of a evo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I agree that a well sorted S3 will out lap a boxster...and moderately tweaked Boxster will potentially return the balance in favour of itself.

The one thing an S3 can't provide, is the feeling of completeness and thrill that a properly engineered sportscar provides.
It's just not possible...it's too compromised.

My S3 was as quick in many situations as my C4S...and quicker in other situations. But you'd get out of it bored...and end up totally underwhelmed.
With the Porsche, the drive is an event...and even a basic Boxster provides that...
The S3 just doesn't.

Yeah it's a well balanced car but you'd soon get bored of the gutless 2.5.

I think I've got to go with Ess_Three on this one too.
It's not really how fast your car goes, it's how it makes you feel...

And the feeling I get when driving the Boxster S is incomparable to my S3.
I almost bought a 993 last month based purely on the "feel" factor.

993 v S3 ~ similar performance, but the experience is hugely different.
You'll understand the point if you ever drive a Porker.

My Dad has a 968cs which ive had plenty of time in and i have driven 360 and 550 ferraris.
Like i said it's a better balanced car but to some degree driving a flawed car fast is more rewarding

Yes, I must admit there is a certain coolness in driving a normal car fast, over driving a fast car fast...

A sorted s3 can surprise many unwitting sport car drivers on the road.

[ QUOTE ]
My Dad has a 968cs

[/ QUOTE ]

What a sublime choice!!

[ QUOTE ]

Like i said it's a better balanced car but to some degree driving a flawed car fast is more rewarding

[/ QUOTE ]

True...
But driving a well sorted S3 isn't the problem...as it can be made to appear flawless in normal curcumstances...if just doesn't excite!

No matter what you do in a sorted S3...you get out feeling underwhelmed...it can be made to be sooo competent...but it doesn't press the right buttons...or make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.
At least mine didn't.

It was a giggle...sure. But never AS rewarding as a car that is harder to drive, but offers more scope for reward.

The Boxster is very good...perhaps even too good...maybe you'd end up with the same old 'S3' feeling with a boxster...?

I guess this is the difference between a Boxster S and a 911. Both are similar on the road...the Boxster easier to get in and drive...better balanced etc.
But with the 911 you have to learn it...and learn it well. Or you are in bother.

You didn't have to learn a well sorted S3...it did it itself...

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I must admit there is a certain coolness in driving a normal car fast, over driving a fast car fast...

[/ QUOTE ]

The flip side being that driving a fast &amp; expensive car, slowly...you look like rich-***** with too much money and no driving ability who's looking for a peni5 extension!

Or having a mid-life crisis!

It's a fine line...

Of course, there is always big respect for someone who will drive their sportscar the way it should be driven... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif