The S3 isn't about being frugal.... but...

SILVAF0XX

Reaction score
I picked up my S3 back in April as a replacement for my PFL A3 TDI 150 and never expected it to be good on fuel - in fact I knew it was going to be a bit of a shock at first!

I have to do a reasonable amount of business miles which I try to share up between my car and the wife's Q3 TDI, although ultimately I tend to travel in mine unless they are really long journeys.

As I'm claiming my mileage back I never drive the car particularly hard, in fact I mainly just stick the cruise control on at 70 mph and turn the music up.

I filled up yesterday morning (I always use Tesco Momentum fuel so no idea what peoples opinion/experience with this is) and set off from Sheffield to Birmingham. I am genuinely surprised at how many miles I'm getting - see attached picture with odometer reset before journey.

Now I have no intention of driving the same way for the rest of the tank, so was wondering if I could expect to get twice this mileage if I did? Is the tank linear? I always find the 1st half of the tank lasts much longer, but that could be just a feeling I get, or the way I drive on a fresh fill up subconsciously.

Either way I think this is mighty impressive!

Please don't bash me and say "an S3 is meant to be ****** driven, just enjoy it!". I know this and do so all the time - it's a fantastic car!
WP 20170629 09 15 26 Rich LI1

Reactions: TDI-line, Audi Bairn and AL_B
Congrats! I drove sensibly the other day (as I was tired) and get over 40!

Attachments

• IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 345
I have to agree with you about the tank it's like an inverted triangle in the way that the fuel gauge moves, hovering at the top for ages before moving.

Reactions: Milnesafc, Benji34, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I have to agree with you about the tank it's like an inverted triangle in the way that the fuel gauge moves, hovering at the top for ages before moving.

Brilliant analogy, I'm using that

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
That's pretty rubbish

Routinely got 35-36 on the 250 miles on the A1M between London and Scotch corner blasting it as much as I dare. Taking the new S3 saloon on same journey on Sunday so will interesting to see how a new engine compares

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
I regular drive an 86 mile trip which is mainly dual carriageway and motorway. 40-42mpg is my usual for that run. The fuel I use is Shell V-power and the car is usually in "Auto D" with judicious use of "S" when appropriate. Sometimes I use the individual mode of drive select but would rarely use full dynamic for ordinary work miles. I do look at the instantaneous mpg fairly often and it is interesting how that influences my driving style. Smoother acceleration and greater anticipation and road sense do help fuel economy and actually I find it better for my sanity to chill out more and not join in the aggression on the roads. Fretting about minor delays makes so little difference to arrival time that it isn't worth stressing about (or burning extra fuel). I don't use efficiency on motorway/dual carriageway runs because the car feels too hamstrung to me and it doesn't seem to help much with fuel efficiency in those conditions but I do use it in city traffic jams.

Reactions: Peter1201, Benji34 and SILVAF0XX
That's pretty rubbish

Routinely got 35-36 on the 250 miles on the A1M between London and Scotch corner blasting it as much as I dare. Taking the new S3 saloon on same journey on Sunday so will interesting to see how a new engine compares

Ignore the current MPG mark... that was today's short journey!

I was in the 43-44 MPG average mark most of yesterday.

I'm highlighting 231 miles on less than half a tank of fuel - which I think is pretty good.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AL_B
I regular drive an 86 mile trip which is mainly dual carriageway and motorway. 40-42mpg is my usual for that run. The fuel I use is Shell V-power and the car is usually in "Auto D" with judicious use of "S" when appropriate. Sometimes I use the individual mode of drive select but would rarely use full dynamic for ordinary work miles. I do look at the instantaneous mpg fairly often and it is interesting how that influences my driving style. Smoother acceleration and greater anticipation and road sense do help fuel economy and actually I find it better for my sanity to chill out more and not join in the aggression on the roads. Fretting about minor delays makes so little difference to arrival time that it isn't worth stressing about (or burning extra fuel). I don't use efficiency on motorway/dual carriageway runs because the car feels too hamstrung to me and it doesn't seem to help much with fuel efficiency in those conditions but I do use it in city traffic jams.

I agree with you on the use of economy mode... don't think I'll touch it again! It was just to see what the car could achieve.

My average for the first leg of the trip (~100 miles) was 45.7 MPG

Ignore the current MPG mark... that was today's short journey!

I was in the 43-44 MPG average mark most of yesterday.

I'm highlighting 231 miles on less than half a tank of fuel - which I think is pretty good.

Smiley did not come through on mobile posting, yea pretty good but boring as hell :)

Drive it like you stole or hired it :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and SILVAF0XX

Weirdly the whole "slow moving fuel gauge at the top, fast moving at the bottom" thing is "engineered" to please joe public. Research showed that people felt ripped off if the fuel needle moved from full quickly after filling up, so that's how they are calibrated, even digital ones.

Reactions: Daz Auto, AL_B and SILVAF0XX
Weirdly the whole "slow moving fuel gauge at the top, fast moving at the bottom" thing is "engineered" to please joe public. Research showed that people felt ripped off if the fuel needle moved from full quickly after filling up, so that's how they are calibrated, even digital ones.

I never knew that!

I always get more miles out of that first segment of the digital gauge - now I know why!!

Reactions: AL_B
You're not trying hard enough guys :innocent:

- FL S3 66 plate

Photo 19 06 2017 09 30 40

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, MattSedg, OST and 2 others
Most of my driving is town based, and I was initially very critical of this S3 8V for its urban fuel economy - it comes no where near the manufacturers claims.

But having had the car a few months now AND putting in V-Power (dealer probably didn't), the economy for my urban commute has improved. In efficiency mode it will make 27mpg, which I think is very acceptable.

But I was most impressed by a recent 250 mile motorway trip, where the car achieved 40mpg. And then went on to reach around 400 miles when I filled up.

AL

Well Joe Public must feel really peeved off when supping on a pint in a pub then & the level in the glass has moved by the amount they've actually drunk!!!. :laughing:

I've got 475 miles to the tank once, and only once! I drove up north and back along the A9 which is about 200 miles (each way) of average speed cameras and mostly single carriageway :sleeping:

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and glospete
So maybe the miles done + range left, as predicted by the instrument panel display, is the best you can get in terms of predicting what you'll get on your tank of fuel vs. guessing from the fuel gauge?

BTW, comparing brim-to-brim vs computer calculated MPG, I'm finding the computed MPG on the display is about 2.7% optimistic on average. Seems to be more optimistic/over reads by a higher % when I'm driving carefully/doing long runs between brimmed fill-ups

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and AL_B
I agree with you on the use of economy mode... don't think I'll touch it again! It was just to see what the car could achieve.

I was in dynamic the whole way back from Lincoln and managed 40.2mpg so no need to suffer too much lol

Wish the old R32 had have known that, usually dropped a 1/4 tank after around 40 miles!

That's great mpg, I have gotten 50mpg on a long trip from my 3.0 derv A6 so over 50 from an S3 seems great!

Now what's the lowest you can get?
I manage 7.5mpg for a tank in my 5.4 V8 F150 once for sh!ts and giggles ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got 475 miles to the tank once, and only once! I drove up north and back along the A9 which is about 200 miles (each way) of average speed cameras and mostly single carriageway :sleeping:
475/12 gallon tank = 39.6mpg

WoW... how far did you drive after the trip computer said '0'?

I find that when the gauge reaches half I've used 66% of the fuel I.e. Very non-linear. Usually with my 1.4COD I reach half after 380 miles with around 190 indicated miles remaining

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i got 37mpg on a trip with half dual carrage and half windy 40mph A roads, went down to 35 on the way back after a few little pokes. All in all pretty happy with only 400 miles on the car and not worked in by any means.

Counting Sheep....here....***....you lot ie....face lift owners...dont know yer living us pre face lift guys where lucky to get 24 mpg for the first 6k miles.....l find these type of threads.......Zzzzzzz

Anywayz....it seems as ....Am gonne be far wealthier when l get me facelift.....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn, James.B8, SILVAF0XX and 4 others
Counting Sheep....here....***....you lot ie....face lift owners...dont know yer living us pre face lift guys where lucky to get 24 mpg for the first 6k miles.....l find these type of threads.......Zzzzzzz

Anywayz....it seems as ....Am gonne be far wealthier when l get me facelift.....lol

People say I'd be worth more if I had a facelift too! Then I could get a new car as well .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Supa Koopa, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I did still have fun on the journey though... not sure the hipster in the Porsche Boxter I was pulling away from was enjoying it as much! :racer:

Reactions: Mark_86 and Jassyo06
I did still have fun on the journey though... not sure the hipster in the Porsche Boxter I was pulling away from was enjoying it as much! :racer:

Haha, I had a play with an M4 this morning. He wasn't pulling away and from the sound coming from it, he wasn't hanging around... it's quicker than it feels that for sure. Ruined my MPG for this week though, I was averaging 36mpg and it dropped to 32mpg after that little battle.

Haha, I had a play with an M4 this morning. He wasn't pulling away and from the sound coming from it, he wasn't hanging around... it's quicker than it feels that for sure. Ruined my MPG for this week though, I was averaging 36mpg and it dropped to 32mpg after that little battle.

Am sure the M4 wasn't trying hard enough :shutup2:

Am sure the M4 wasn't trying hard enough :shutup2:

Perhaps, but the sound coming from her sounded like it was being stoked... either way, I was happy lol

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Jassyo06
All within national speed limits of course.....

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Jassyo06
Got my FL S Tronic S3 last week, so about 300 miles so far. Commute is 10 miles M62, 8 miles getting across town with an average of around 32mpg which I'm very pleased with!

Reactions: AL_B and SILVAF0XX
Got my FL S Tronic S3 last week, so about 300 miles so far. Commute is 10 miles M62, 8 miles getting across town with an average of around 32mpg which I'm very pleased with!

Man, you're gonna have to change your avatar picture lol

<-------------- I was ere first haha :friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Tom_s3, SILVAF0XX and 1 other person

I use the A9 quite often and a couple of weeks ago was the first time I'd taken the S3 as far north as Dornoch.
The continuous average speed cams are around 110 miles of it (Perth - Inverness) and it makes a difference to a number of things since they were installed (including mpg and minimising ar**h***s). Although you do get the odd newby who doesn't realise they've lost their licence somewhere south of Dunkeld as each section is dealt with separately.
Like you, I got great economy (although not why I bought an S3). On my 165 mile journey I averaged 41 mpg on the onboard computer which we all know ain't too accurate but it certainly helped to add About 80 miles to my normal tank range of around 300 miles. But that also included less economic driving whilst up there and between home and A9.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100 and SILVAF0XX
Man, you're gonna have to change your avatar picture lol

<-------------- I was ere first haha :friends:
Haha, in my defence it is technically a different colour :tongueclosed:

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, Mark_86 and Jassyo06
First long drive in the new car and got an average of 34 mpg over 250 miles along the M25, M1 & A1 at an average speed of 65mph, pretty impressive as it was booted where possible and only had a total of 70 miles on the clock before this journey

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Audi Bairn
I've noticed that the mpg in mine is much improved, having now more miles on the clocks. At less than 5k, mpg was typically around 35mpg.
It's now pretty easy to get 40+ mpg on the daily drive into work in average rush hour traffic. However, the MMI message does sum up the driving style to achieve that ;-)

Yjb-q-4WCtCUIWrSlxSU2xonBgjTPGDGdvhCG_Awt7eXGWFMiovhPng2VzY9Q9eMkW7oF7ipmTHJgB-zlPWEhRuRiDBjmtzZr5mOJF9s2ikYKef3k4estW1iKeZ41yCcPYrXK1yz4GybNtbACHWjz2gMdumeBGld-wU8Vk0SaQicIYJmMHmKHJCd0aZ3ZUUMKS0_r46k-llO31o29VRxSoCO26ahDHtXPmymrzeqFjUlntHED3JnCbNpKSPGQnttrV4bCCx2enbLcT52YZ7X_c2s1yOAtIFHxiTa-bCi0OU8lApzYhkYw4YdGbND9sSWpJa-uRPyn2l_JhjuNFeBM90A6G7eOBrLxVvE5_K8DaVGLTLLqOKguL9LjxXi6sresagm7tGJoVeh_HVOjeN-VQr9w8aocAouX5ID2hfIRfBFYYhVRYugJ98D6WP_SM4kRN6OgBky85Vyjbv1jpNvVWrcvZS5rd24wH0Z2RIWxlo4s8bB7qBpOlzWxKncrKi5iVeqT0ZXPtfWO9nu-Oa4w2MfmIsb9FuX6qqlC5wMU6OOQbNuckTlS3CHbw1OII0lRS0ghIO-wxABp1bauyQtild0LSwQOWLlOfsYEzrYrZs6NtWkJMgRXdo4=w1249-h816-no

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, richinsoton and Djs3saloon