The Original

atc

Reaction score
Audisubaru2.jpg

audisubaru1.jpg

Is still the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, good pic.

I have been in a similar accident to that when i was like 10 my dad crashed our old rover into a ditch on our way up to Scotland on Christmas day.

We had to wait for ages for the AA that day.

skidded the back end of my A3 on ice at about 60mph on way to parents for xmas dinner. Focused my concentration a bit more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We had an 02 plate Scooby upside down the road from me tonight when i cycled past, i would love to have taken a pic, but left my phone at home

Quality pic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

and...

[ QUOTE ]
We had an 02 plate Scooby upside down the road from me tonight when i cycled past, i would love to have taken a pic, but left my phone at home

[/ QUOTE ]
...I was out and about with a couple of my good friends in the car one night around this time last year, and we came off a roundabout near the M6 to see a Skyline very much off the road, very much the wrong way around, and very much mixed-up with hedgerow and field. ...And one of said friends, Jim, felt it prudent to punctuate the poor chap's little mishap by hanging out of my passenger window and screaming "awwwwwwww sliiiiiidelined!" at the top of his voice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rob.

It's such a nice feeling having 4wd in this current weather.

Watching those with FWD/RWD struggling to get out of our estate is very amusing (it's quite steep and they don't grit it yet).

I come along and waft past with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif on my face. Today a BMW was having a real problem getting away from the kurb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Lovely!

oh yes, yes, yes.

BMW's are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle at this time of year. I once stood and watched a BMW try and pull out of a junction on a snowy hill. It just slid sidways and backwards. The owner tried everything, slowly in high gear, and flooring it out of desperation - no go.

had to laugh really. After 10 mins, i got bored and walked on.

I've now seen an F355 in a barrier, a collection of normal cars and a newish boxster in a barrier on the slip road to the M4, why can't people drive suitably for the conditions is beyond me, the total ***** in the volvo that thought it was safe to do 65 ish past me on the way out of kent on boxing day needs to be put down before he hurts someone!

When I saw the Scooby in a ditch I didn't have my camera with me, I had to go home and get it. Childish but fun.

Nice pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I thought the Scooby's had all wheel drive, or is this just certain models.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All scoobies are 4WD, it's down a ditch, cos the driver thought he was Colin McRae lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All scoobies are 4WD, it's down a ditch, cos the driver thought he was Colin McRae lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So it wasn't Colin driving then, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

not so sure, my bro's boss is a friend of Colin McRae and was told that he managed to put his Lamborgini in a ditch on the way to Glasgow Airport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
oh yes, yes, yes.

BMW's are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle at this time of year. I once stood and watched a BMW try and pull out of a junction on a snowy hill. It just slid sidways and backwards. The owner tried everything, slowly in high gear, and flooring it out of desperation - no go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate I do not agree at all - its all down to the driver and how they drive the car! I have had ZERO issues in mine over this weather so I guess it was simply an ID 10 T error

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

As a side note the Quattro system is only installed on about 15% - 20% of Audis - why is this? Surely if the Haldex / Quattro was such a revelation then they would be a standard guise on all models etc.

BMW are made in the Alps so to say they are not meant to be driven in the snow is ridiculous although I do very much agree that having traction on 4 wheels is better than 2. This brings me to my point if I wanted a snow utility vehicle I would buy a Land Rover or a BMW X5 or the VW Tourag or similar.

It snows all but once a year here in the UK maybe twice if you’re lucky so I like to shred the weight of the haldex or Quattro system and have the extra power. IF I owned an Audi!

I'm off my soap box now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note the Quattro system is only installed on about 15% - 20% of Audis - why is this? Surely if the Haldex / Quattro was such a revelation then they would be a standard guise on all models etc.

BMW are made in the Alps so to say they are not meant to be driven in the snow is ridiculous although I do very much agree that having traction on 4 wheels is better than 2. This brings me to my point if I wanted a snow utility vehicle I would buy a Land Rover or a BMW X5 or the VW Tourag or similar.

It snows all but once a year here in the UK maybe twice if you’re lucky so I like to shred the weight of the haldex or Quattro system and have the extra power. IF I owned an Audi!

I'm off my soap box now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... true... but it rains. a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

They are better with all their toys now. My old E30 318 wouldnt move in the slightlest of slopes in snow or ice.

NSF, like all things - cost!

You certainly don't need snow to feel the advantage of AWD.

Audi have been too safe and are now moving towards a more rear bias and we'll be seeing more BMW AWD cars in the future.

The reason quattro isn't on all cars is because not all people want it.

Ive been going to work on my plastic sledge £3.99 from toy shop and ive had no problems what so ever, I suggest if your worried that you do the same

[ QUOTE ]
oh yes, yes, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is that we have a new generation of the driving population, the vast majority of which has had very little experience of rear-wheel drive. They learned to drive in a Corsa, Fiesta or Micra, and then bought Saxos, Clios, Focuses & Zafiras by the bucket-load.

Now they're in their thirties, they feel a bit flush & decide they have to follow the herd and get a 3-Series BMW. 99% of the time, they won't know or care which end of their car the drive goes to, because they are auto-illiterate. Then, one day, it snows, and they've no idea how to cope.

I've been driving for 25 years. The first car I ever owned was a RWD Opel Ascona, but every car after that was FWD until I got the Quattro two years ago. But I did my learning in dozens of different RWD drive cars, all with varying degrees of grip. After all, in 1980, a 175/70x13 tyre was considered wide and low profile!

Personaly i have a FWD car witch is ok , but has it moments !
for safety a Quattro/AWD car is the best BUT for fun i think most people would agree RWD is the best, some of my happyist moments was in my old beetle going side-ways in the snow!

A good friend of mine has a very nice 328is with all the toys. He also own's a Focus 1.8 Zetec. Its has been known for him to take the BM out with the traction control on, get a bit sideways on a round about near him then take it straight home and get the Focus as it is less likely to missbehave. Less power easier to drive!

The other night I chased a new 323 round a round about in the quattro, caught up with it and over took! And its not like the BM wasn't trying! 4WD wins. It was wet by the way but still not bad for 11 year old car with only 150 BHP. Made me smile.

[ QUOTE ]
again, depends on the driver mate - all to easy to say he was or wasnt trying. Nice car thou' im sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on let me have my moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ok just this once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You soft touch NSD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif