1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE MAN WITH THE BIGGEST ARMS

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DIPS_A4, Aug 15, 2006.

1. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 18, 2006]
    my bad I mean pulling the bar under my chin :tocktock:
  2. Dan Gliballs

Dan Gliballs Active Member

[Aug 18, 2006]
    Ahh, gotcha :)

It's good to do a couple of sets leaning back a reasonable amount though, as it hits the FRONT lats nicely.
  3. DIPS_A4

DIPS_A4 SEAT LEON CUPRA R (225)

[Aug 20, 2006]
    behind the head pulll downs can be good but it can also be dangerious if done correctly. thats so ture training is all about what you ave eaten before or if u thinking about somthing it can leave you not concentrateing. keep on going with lat pulll downs to your upper chest. try doing it slow and concentrate on reps squeeze them out. i stuggle on getting mass on shoulders i want the v cut.
  4. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 20, 2006]
    Thank god for that!!!! That's my weakpoint too :blownose:

I just don't enjoy training them hard very often (like I do chest etc), and find motions like press behind the neck a little awkward, as I'm from a family of none supple and bendy people lol!!!

I bench above average for a non-steroid boy, so my FRONT delts have inadvertantly come on quite well by the by, but my outer and rear delts are pretty **** TBH.

I do side lateral raises and front raises more as a finishing off and shaping exercise,.........but this is the winter where I'm going to force myself into getting MASS!!!
  5. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 20, 2006]
    This used to be me and I.m not natually broad either... over last year though I have consentrated a lot more on my shoulders and find shrugs, lateral raises, front raises and upright rows have pretty much done the trick.
    Right now my major weakness is my legs though, I just find it difficult to motovate myself to take em seriously
  6. DIPS_A4

[Aug 21, 2006]
    i think ill train my shoulders atleast 2 times a week. i hate doing legs i got proper chicken legs even though i train them hard. my legs look skinny but they are very strong. i done my chest this afternoon managed 4 reps of 110kg had a spotter on the bench press so i could push my self.
  7. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 21, 2006]
    Forgot to say yeah, my legs are an even worse weak point than my delts LOL!!!! I started off as a gangley runner in my teens, and no surprise I have knee problems now :(

Benched 157.5 for 2 reps on the olympic smith machine though :) So my chest looks a little daft over my chicken legs :keule:
  8. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 21, 2006]
    BASTARDS!

(i benched 84 tonight... 42 dumbellsx2 8 reps all by myself)
  9. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 21, 2006]
    It takes years and years mate (the clean way) :)
  10. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Aug 22, 2006]

110Kg? you sure it wasn't 110Lbs?

Not many people can bench more than their body weight and 110kg is 294lbs or 17stone.

I can only push 90lbs plus the 25kg bar which works out at 145lbs, thats half your limit, you must be enormous!
  11. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Wow never knew a few of you guys would have been into this.

I have been training for almost 3 years now down at my local gym still learning a lot though.

How long most of you guys been training?
  12. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 22, 2006]
    8/9 years me but still learning too
  13. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Aug 22, 2006]
    I love it, don't go as often as I used to, I used to be right into kickboxing, went 3 times a week inbetween the gym, but moved away from the area so sort of fell out of it. but if anyone in north kent wants to come and spar/practice down my gym i'd be happy to teach a bit!
  14. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Nope, KG here too ;)

157.5KG including the 20KG Olympic bar = 346.5lbs (just for 2 clean reps though). Just under 25 stone :)

100KG (220 lbs) has FINALLY become a warm up now, good clean set of 16-18 as my second warm-up set.

Ohh, and I'm FAR from enormous LOL!!!
  15. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Wow i wish i could get over 100kg on the bench!

I normally just used the DB as i train on my own. Can do a couple of sets of 6 on the 40kg ones now. (each hand 40kg)

And they are the largest ones at my gym.
  16. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 22, 2006]
    I used to 120KG For 2 reps. Haven't done it in a while though...
  17. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Hey, if I can, ANYONE can ;) (I was an 8 stone lanky streak of piss when I first started in my mid teens).

Do you have a smith machine at your gym? :) If yes, then you can train relatively safely with higher weight without a spotter (though a training partner is always the best plan in the long term). Just add a 'biscuit' on one end every 2-3 weeks (1 1/4KG discs), then the other,.........and work your way up slowly.

40KG dumbells is a good weight TBH (would equate to more as a stright bar if balance etc is taken into consideration), but without a training partner it's quite an awkward hassle getting into position before the set etc.
  18. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Nothing wrong with that. IM on 42s each side at the moment. The smith machine is good but its practically imposible to get on it at my gym
  19. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 22, 2006]
    Have you tried a ladder?
  20. DIPS_A4

[Aug 22, 2006]
    its kgs mate, i weight 83kg. been training properlly for 2 years i do take supplements but no gear. wat sorta gyms do you guys go to? im at fitness first want to join more of a hardcore weightlifting gym.
  21. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 22, 2006]
    This is a corner of our gym ;)

http://www.southwaterleisurecentre.co.uk/Fitness_Suite/index.html

Done plenty of hardcore backstreet gyms up north/down south over the years though,......freezing cold in winter, weights with no numbers on,...................like where Rocky would've trained LOL!!!
  22. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 23, 2006]
    Iv heard nothing but complaints about fitness first never been myself. My gym is cool upstairs - cardio, stretching mats, sky tv, wood floor, honeys. Downstairs - broken machines, broken dumbells, stench of piss, free wieghts, damp floor, big muthaf$%kers.
  23. DIPS_A4

[Aug 23, 2006]
    LOL yeah fitness first is a loada ****. apart from the women specially after 4 proper rammed pack. i hate going in them times there are ques to use the benchs and machines. upstairs there is machines which are controlled by airpressure. the fitness first im at near the lcfc football club is totally nasty in changing room some times wreaks of piss.
  24. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 23, 2006]
    And how much a month do they sting you for that?
  25. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 23, 2006]
    Are you making your 100k out of a 20K bar, and 2x20kg plates on each side?

If so, I found that instead of putting on the second lot of 20kg plates on, build the weight up out of smaller plates e.g. On each side, have 1x20Kg plate, then 2 x 10Kg plates.

I found this helped me break the 100kg. Its physcological and all that!
  26. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 23, 2006]
    Shows how everybody is completely different :)

I used to try this on the free bar in my earlier days, and it made it WORSE for me psychologically, and physically too as the bar felt harder to balance laterally.
  27. DIPS_A4

[Aug 24, 2006]
    i pay £28 a month peak n off peak still on student rates but if i go to corporate it will go up by a £1 so it aint 2 bad. benching been one of my strongest but shoulder pressing weakest hate it.
    can just about press 32kg dumbells on each side i get scared training shoulders a year ago i tore my rotorcuff painfull stuff. im gunno train my legs and abs 2day hate LEGS! Its good 2 see allot of you guys are into training summit different to chat about on audi-sport.
  28. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Aug 24, 2006]
    Na not got a smith machine. Just got a bench with a stand.

I will probably start doing barbell bench soon as now speak to a few people there so they could spot me.
  29. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 24, 2006]
    Good plan ;)

Most gym members tend to be very helpful, and are often infact FLATTERED that you've chosen them as a spotter :)

Just make sure you have a couple of verbal grunts or signals arranged for letting you have the bar and for when you've failed etc.
  30. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 24, 2006]
    £28's a very fair price (mine's just gone up to £28 aswell IIRC).

I hear many people paying £40 and £50 a month,...................but the jacuzzi and Turkish steamroom do NOT make their chests grow LOL!!!
  31. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Aug 24, 2006]
    I pay about 35 a month which is good for london. I tried this place a few times http://www.holmesplace.com/campaign05.aspx when i used to work in Croydon I think its like 50/60 notes a month. Really slick and clean fantastic service gorgeous women, but the dumbells only went up to 34, and the free weights section was the size of a shower cubical!
  32. Dan Gliballs

[Aug 24, 2006]
    Sadly, this is often the case, and this is where I believe that gym managers have this wrong.

I used the last gym for about 5 years, but then I left when the massive weights room was downsized and moved upstairs to make way for more steppers/treadmills/rowers etc DOWNstairs. Gym memberships seemed to rise (after them spending tons on advertising), so **** me if they didn't move the weights section yet again a year later, and squashed us down in a small back room :no: This was to make way for yet more exercise bikes and cross trainers.

The greedy eyes of the management must've reckoned that the 'cardio' customers were the best money spinner and said b0ll0x to us weight trainers really.

Daft thing is though, weigh trainers are the meat & potatoes/bread & butter/backbone of the business, and lifters will go to the same gym for years and years. Whereas on the cardio side, every fly-by-night and his granny were signing up for membership after Christmas for example (mainly through guilt), but come February, many had got bored and decided to stay at home eating chips. After huge amounts of cash spent on cardio machines,......numbers dwindled.

It's about time gym managers respected weight lifters more as an important part of their business, as it's us that train consistantly night after night for years bringing in their money. Any fat leotard wearing old gym poser with a pointless towel round their neck can sign up to pretend to ride an exercise bike for 4 minutes on Level 1,.........................but how often do they stick around ;)
  33. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Nov 2, 2006]
    Ok missed this the first time round but...

I train at fitness firt and don;t think they are that bad. I use several different ones depending where I am working, fair enough I don't use the shower facilites as there is a shower at the office which is cleaner but the kit they have is ok. Toilet's can stink but they are no worse than most places.

One comment to the guys using the smiths machines to bench press - you can lift more with one of them than with free weights as you don't need to stabilise the bar ;)

If you want to put on a few pounds of muscle and lift some decent weights you need to get yourself a trainer to show you how to do the various exercises properly and know how to eat well. Without either of those gains are going to be extremely slow!

J.
  34. Vman

Vman Member

[Nov 2, 2006]
    Yet another interesting thread.

This is very true... at the gym the other day just finished bench pressing doing sets of forced negative reps 15 or more with 70kg. A huge guy went up to the bench (I thought we're gonna see something special here) he got under the 70kg picked it up moved the weight down to his chest... I had to go and rescue it off of him...

Steroids make you look good but good knows what there doing to your body...

Best advice that was given to me was keep your training varied as much as possible (something I don't do enough of).
  35. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Nov 2, 2006]
    I have just got my guv to agree to set me up an account with Nestle, they supply powerbar protein drinks, i need the extra to get bigger and the drinks they provide 50g of protein per drink, and they taste okay. Minimum order is 120 quid though. I can get them half price, they're 3 quid in my gym (virgin, used to be esporta)
  36. Dan Gliballs

[Nov 2, 2006]
    The most I've ever benched for a clean 2 rep max with an Olympic free-bar, is 150KG.

On the Smith, the most I've shifted is 157.5KG,........................so really not THAT much in it ;)

Depends on the type and condition of the particular Smith machine too. Somebody bothered to weigh the bar at my last gym, and after all the stabilizing cables and runners were taken into consideration, the bar itself only weighed around 7KG LOL!!! The one where I am now actually IS 20KG :)

Also, to a relatively novice bench-presser, I can appreciate your point about having to position yourself and stabilise yourself better, but the actual LIFTING and PUSHING technique I use is actually easier with a free-bar. I feel slightly restricted on a Smith as my arms have to follow the strict linear contour of the runners/glides, but my technique with the free-bar is to push back towards my training partner.

Another restriction on a Smith is with where you can position yourself along the LENGTH of the bench. Bring a very heavy weight down off the locks and it's touching down too high or too low on your chest,...............bang goes the concentration/focus you've just built up,....the moment's gone. Where as with a free bar you can reposition on your second rep and carry on.

In actual fact, I reckon I could shift the same weight on a Olympic bar now TBH.

But hey-ho, we're all different :beerchug:
  37. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

[Nov 2, 2006]
    It was really gross! can't believe he dropped the needle on the floor and picked it up again to carried on extracting the blood from his arms! :puke:
  38. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Nov 3, 2006]

Isn't the term smith machine just like hoover now adays? Real Smiths machine doesn't use the cables just a bar, guides and catches to rescue yourself if you over do it! The bar in those weighs 20kg.

I know the life fitness interpretation of the smith machines that fitness first use in their gyms has the cable type "smith machine" and the bar weighs nothing. The cables counter balance the weight of it out. There may be some resistance that would add a couploe of kgs

With the smiths do you not position yourself/bench with out any weight on it and then load it up to do your sets? Regarding the linear movement thats my point, you can focus all your power to just pushing upwards. Where as with the free bar you need to concentrate more to stop is moving around. The downside to the smiths is having someone spotting you is a tad harder when using heavier weights.

Horses for courses, I prefer to avoid the smiths if possible unless I am training on my own and want to do some heavy incline or decline pressess after falt as fitness first seem to think 45 and 50 kilo dumbells are as heavy as you need!

Never bothered trying to do single/low rep max lifts so I have no idea what I can press on an olympic bar...
  39. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Nov 3, 2006]
    Depends I would say there are some monsters that train in my gym, one of them is huge! He easily presses 180kgs for 6-10 reps and then cracks out a few 190kgs. He's not overly tall or anything either...

Agree on god only knows what putting that **** in your body does to you though.
  40. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Nov 3, 2006]
    Before you order have a look to see what else in in them. 50grams of protein is great but check the sugar contents. A lot of the protein drinks that are sold in gyms are great for high protein but they normally contain a lot of sugar, the insulin shock negates the effect of the protein! Try a little experiment.

They also make you feel really tired!

J.