the M6 tolls...

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
does it really make any difference to your traveling time??? its pretty much the same distence as going the other way. is there really that less traffic going the toll way?

silly i know but i always go the free way as i think it makes no difference. i have to be in Gunchester tomorrow morning at 10am so i need to get there as quick and jam free as possable.

Cheers

use the toll road.

i have used it a few times (none very recently however) and it was a breeze. it was almost like everyone else had stayed indoors.

plus you get to floor it pulling out of the toll booth and just keep on going and going (til 70 of course officer)

Depends on the time of day and wether you mind paying an extra few quid to get to your destination. Pay to go on the way day during the day, and stick to the M6 on the way back down later at night.

I won't use the toll on principle. I always use M40->M42->M5->M6. It's never a disaster unless it's home time on a Friday. If I'm off up to the Lakes for a weekend, I just leave Oxford at 7pm, and get to Kendal ~3hours later...

Cheers,

The M6 toll is the best road in the UK, no lorries, usually completely empty excellent, they could charge a tenner and I'd still use it.

Good plan Andy!! The more people on the toll, the quieter the M6 gets :o.k:

Cheers,

I'd use the Toll at that time in the morning I live a 1 and half miles from the north end of it and it rarely busy. The M6 on the other hand well thats stationary even though the kids are on holiday.
The Toll is £4.50 at the moment by the way.

If you've ever experienced the M6 in rush hour, and the Toll at the same time........... It's a no brainer,,, whatever the price. If you value your sanity that is!!

i dont know why i never used it. i think its coz i looked on the map and its looks no shorter. hence this thread asking what the crack is! :)

Use the toll, its super smooth as no lorries use it! Used it once a couple of years ago by accident whilst coming south on the bike, was a beautiful surface to do, ahem, 70mph on, plus gunning it out of the toll booth i, ahem, under no circumstances pulled a slight wheelie for the fun of it!!

I bet the Toll staff get fed up of it but it is literally a constant black fog at the booth. All the diesel drivers throwing smoke out the back doing their 0-70s. ;)

hahhah yeah, them stinky diesels! ;)

Toll all the way for me... its like how Id imagine the motorways 'used to be'

Use the toll, its the 2nd fastesd road in the UK apparently, and not a copper in sight.

nothing beats steaming out of the toll booths with a huge stretch of open road ahead of you..

used the tolls.... WOW i never imagined a road like this could be in the uk. no cams, no little piggys with ere gay guns, no lorrys, and no twats in clapped out rovers cutting you up!

well worth 4 n half quid just to hack along at... *coughs* 70mph :)

It's worth it for the smooth surface alone.

Last time I drove Bedford to Scotland I used the normal M6 on the way up as it early on Saturday morning. The surface on the elevated section is appalling and actually very tiring to drive on. I'll always use the toll road if I can.

thats a good point Macduff... the road surface does make for a totally different drive without the normal drone that you can get that can have a diverse effect on dirvers alertness.

Don't be so sure about there being no police!

A mate of mine got done doing 115 on the Toll road last year, I've seen unmarked cars on the hard shoulder having pulled people over and last but not least, **** my pants finding out how effectively my RS6 brakes scrubbed off speed down to 70 from ahem... 71 when I saw some coppers with laser equipment on one of the bridges. Horrible moment!

Daft cnuts decided to camp out on a bridge after a corner which was on a downhill. Ideal for making people spin out/roll their car if spying them late and braking hard!

The M6 toll is just about one of the nicest motorways to drive along, if there is such a thing in this country. I have happy memories of whipping Jason's *** in an S3 convoy along there....or was it the other way round?

I use it a few times every week. The M6 Toll is 24.9 miles and takes 20 minutes. Now the M6 is 23.5 miles and takes 27 minutes, however this was a couple of weeks ago while the kinds were still off school and was at 7:30 in the morning but when the kids are in school it can take up to 45/50 minutes. I certainly think it's worth paying the £4.50 to half your journey.

If it's a Friday night then it's the Toll all the way without a shadow of a doubt and Yes there is police on there although perhaps not quite as much as you would have thought! but beware as most of the time they are unmarked.