The lights have gone out

dougie

Reaction score
Anyone had this problem before....Rear brakes lights including high level light fail to come on under gentle braking (enough that you would expect the lights to come on). I only realised something was up when a very pleasant chap nearly buried his Merc sprinter van in my boot and gestured that I may have been in the wrong. At least that’s what I think he was trying to say as I told him to f**k off. I have to really stamp on the brakes for them to work, and before they start to behave themselves. If I then go back to gentle braking they stop working again. Another hard stamp and all the brake lights light up like Blackpool tower (not quite). Could it be a dirty contact somewhere? Anyone a pro when it comes to the braking system? I'm considering left foot braking from now on and preparing my insurance company for the inevitable claim.

Yeah, sounds like the brake light switch. I think they cost about 7 pounds and are replaced by removing the side-panel by the door, undoing some screws and sliding the lower part of the dash out from beneath the steering wheel. That gives you access to the switch, which is at the top of the brake pedal arm.

My high-level brake light has stopped working (normal brake lights are ok) and I thought it might be the switch, so looked into replacing it.
I haven't done it, but kept a note of this page in case I do.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

All of what I just said implies your problem is the brake pedal switch of course. This may not be the case, so wait for more feedback/confirmation before taking this route.

Yes there's a little widget under the brake-pedal that can fail/get stuck. Although on mine it caused the brake lights to stay ON after I took my foot off the brakes unless I absolutely stamped on the brakes.

Was quite an easy DIY fix to fit a new one which cost about £7 from the main deaer.

Cheers chaps. Will get the screw drivers and hammer out tonight and have look. Thanks for the advice.