The inevitable has happened....

jonny87

Reaction score
some of you may have read my thread about my damaged alloys
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=83235&highlight=cracked+rims

i since ordered a new set of the same alloys and a pair of nankoang tyres for the rears, all of which should be arriving early next week, in the mean time i have kept use of the car to a minimum, mainly just for work which is about a 6 mile round trip

i take it out tonight to see my mate and what happens? one of the cracked spokes gives up the ghost whilst going round a bend, luckily i was in the middle of town and not going any speed, but as i felt it give way it understeered and glanced off a barrier of a construction site!!

damage? well obviously the wheels is fecked, where the one spoke has completely cracked through it has rubbed on my caliper, no obvious damage just superficial, bodywork wise, well its dented all my front wing, scratched all the front bumper wing and rear wheel arch bulge, wing mirror glass came out but luckily did not smash and i managed to clip it back in no probs, all in all it could of been so much worse in a different situation and i know really i shouldnt of been driving it, but hey ho!!

il get some pics up tomorrow before i take her down the body shop, ooo my poor baby :(

Dude, that is a total bummer. Sorry to hear that.

Still, it could of been worse, could of gone on the Motorway at 80, causing you to crash/burn/die.... Look on the bright side, a couple of hundred quid to repair, but could of been sooooooo much worse....

You're not going through your insurance are you?

Tut Tut lol, Lucky you wernt going fast....Get some pictures of the damage! :)

Never good to read about such things, but in hindsight, couldnt you have yust lobbed the spare on there for a few days? or got a slave steely from the scrappers for £20?

as i said it was my own fault for using it to be fair, although i thought that pottering around doing 30 or 40 it would of been ok but obviously not lol

nah i aint goin through insurance, would pay more on the next three to five years premiums than what its going to cost to get repaired, learnt this lesson a few years back :)

anyway i trundled it down the m'way on the space saver at 50mph to a well trusted and respected body shop, the gloucester boys may know it, kustom 101? they looked over it, no major damage just superficial, they going to get me a new wing instead of trying to repair it pull the front bumper out and pull the rear arch out where its been squashed in a bit, then respray the whole one side, redo my front caliper where its been grazed by the knackered alloy all this they reckon £500 ish depending on the cost of the arch, not bad i thought!!

jojo: as i said it was only for work as i had no other option, working shifts the bus is out, parents not up that early/late, no one in my area to cadge lifts off

westle: yes mate, not looking for sympathy i took a gamble and it backfired, live and learn! its just sods law that i was a few days away from getting my new rims and this happens!!

lordnelson: no mate steelies not big enough to clear porsche calipers, thinking about it i may have been able to put rears on front and put steels on the rear but a bit late for ideas like that lol

anyway heres the pics:
DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

and just for fun, heres what it looked like from the rear with a 265 tyre on one side and a biscuit tyre on the other, noice!!!
DSC00116.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

Shocking to see an alloy split like that, those pictures you posted up previously with just the cracks was bad enough, I'm pretty sure the alloy would have sustained the damage by a previous accident possibly?

Certainly live and learn in this instance, it could have been much worse, but for 500 notes for a quick repair, I think you got away lightly.

Glad to see you have done the correct thing and put the space-saver on the back. Although I guess with Porker front brakes, it wouldn't fit the front anyway...

The number of numpties I see on the road with the space saver on the front wheels!! Usually belting down the dual or Motorway at 70+ too!! Pile-up waiting to happen.

Cheers,

jojo: yes, tis a bit unnerving isnt it! as you say defo live n learn

s3 hodge: i may have a space saver on, slight kerbature and minor dents, but at least mine starts ;) :)

alijames: not a chance in hell of getting the spacesaver on the front, but as you said not a brilliant idea in the first place, another reason why i hate them, done be so cheap and give us proper alloy spares!!!

I am glad no one was hurt except your wallet. Expensive gamble playing with peoples lives.

I am not slagging you off, you know what you did, lesson learnt....

The hard way....

Replica alloys! It's like all these people with "CHs" now! All replica wheel stuff is potentially utter ****! It's why they are a quarter of the price of "genuine" rims.

You had a lucky escape fella by the sounds of it. Do yourself a favour, forget the nankgong tyres, and maybe even your new wheels if they are reps, and get some 2nd hand decent nick genuine audi or BBS wheels. Then get some quality tyres.
Your car weighs 1.5 tonnes and will do 150mph....! Think about it........!!

Replica alloys! It's like all these people with "CHs" now! All replica wheel stuff is potentially utter ****! It's why they are a quarter of the price of "genuine" rims.

You had a lucky escape fella by the sounds of it. Do yourself a favour, forget the nankgong tyres, and maybe even your new wheels if they are reps, and get some 2nd hand decent nick genuine audi or BBS wheels. Then get some quality tyres.
Your car weighs 1.5 tonnes and will do 150mph....! Think about it........!!

Sorry to say, but I disagree with what you are saying... the statement maybe correct, if you are using your replica rims for racing or trackwork. I've been buying replica rims for my Passat for the last 8 years and on my 6th or 7th set(lost count), and none of them have cracked, the car weighs almost 2 tonnes, and probably has more torque than my remapped S3. And I'm running Nankang NS1's which are ****** great in all weather conditions for a high performance budget tyre!

I don't disagree that a set of BBS(or any other tuning wheel) rims are going to be stronger, but you pay a premium for the privilege.

The alloy damage has clearly been involved in some accident at some point of it's life, I've not seen another alloy with the same type of damage without hitting something hard, like a high kerb or something, so I doubt the spokes would just crack on it's own.

Had reps & to date not one issue at all, tarnish with same brush doesnt always apply, pun not intended

yer, they maybe reps but they wouldnt be allowed to sell them if they thought they would crack through normal use else they would get sued by people like me, its obvious they have taken a beating at some point and thus cracked

as for the nankangs, i or no one i know have had any experiance with them but reveiws on net seem pretty decent, besides for 130 notes for the pair i couldnt say no really