The humble gear box

3hZ

Audi's make the world go round
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to check the gear box oil on an A3 1.8TSQ 53 plate?

Cheers people. Matt

no way checking the oil as there is no dip stick, but you
could drain it and put new oil in

I know this sound stupid but where do I locate it? And is it easy to get too?

the drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox and the filler plug is on the front of the gearbox

dont "dip you finger in" with the engine running or that finger will be no good for dipping any more

flat surface fill till it runs out the level nut hole, should be filled for life unless you have lost some with a leak no need to change in road cars , race cars use thinner stuff and additives to aid gear shifts and reduce drag but this could rduce the life of the box

Rob

dont "dip you finger in" with the engine running or that finger will be no good for dipping any more

Rob

LOL.....if he would be able to do that it would be a miracle as it would have to be in gear with the engine running for anything to be moving....
you wouldnt check any fluid levels with the engine running apart from screenwash would you?

dave even out of gear with the clutch engauged(pedal up) the first motion shaft is turning and that is driving the lay shift which is meshed to the gears on the output shaft , when you engauge gear you lock a gear on the output shaft to the shaft its self via a selector therefore transmitting drive to the differential and on to the wheels this is how gear boxes work

trust me dont stick your finger you could end up picking your nose with your elbow :no:,

as checking engine levels ect with the engine running seen people touch drive belts engine fans the lot is very easy to slip up

Sorry people but i don't make these things up if i don't know i don't say anything

Rob

Ok mate, points noted, i did not tell him to check it with the engine running though...unfortunatly you cannot see the level, so i believe this is a standard way of checking, i suppose you could use a straw etc.