1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Gulf Stream has stopped ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Turkster, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Oct 11, 2010]
    [​IMG]

perfect horrorshow Chicken Licken moment ACTIVE RIGHT NOW, for those among us who suspect the Deepwater Horizon gulf oil incident has been sucking off deep ocean heat, "the Gulf Stream has been stopped!"

The Gulf Stream brings warm water from the Mexican Gulf across the Atlantic to our shores here in UK. Cancel that undersea conveyor belt and we're talking about mini Ice Age blanketing the UK by winter, and that means crop failures and ice skating on the River Thames in 2011.

The Gulf Stream and The Next Ice Age | Watch Free Documentary Online

http://archives2010.gcnlive.com/Archives2010/jul10/Nutrimedical/0727103.mp3

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 11, 2010]
    Best news all year,I can dust off my ice skates.
  4. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Oct 11, 2010]
    I'll get mine out too, the blades might need sharpening a bit first though! Anyone for a game of hockey?
  5. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Oct 12, 2010]
    I love these sort of things. The frequent uses of 'perhaps','maybe' and 'potentially' make me smile.

I could potentially swim from Dover to Calais - that doesn't mean I will.
  6. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Oct 12, 2010]
    this happens virtually every year anyway, the gulf stream tends to go further north resulting in the jetstreams to alter course slightly, meaning we tend to get more siberian winds giving us our baltic winters
  7. Geordie Mike

Geordie Mike Yeee-haw

[Oct 12, 2010]
    Last time I checked, oil that comes from deep underground is warmer than the sea, not cooler.
  8. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

[Oct 16, 2010]
    this is such bullsh*t i'm afraid. The GS hasn't stopped, it's moved and it's not becuase of something as insignifcant as a drop of oil. This pattern started before the oil spill too.

I'm all up for proper winters though so the change is welcome (whatever casued it).
  9. 27litres

27litres Love My Quattro

[Oct 17, 2010]
    It's the typical cyclic effect being interpreted by panic merchants as something it isn't.

If the winter we've just had (and even our current spring) in Melbourne is anything to go by, we're returning to the weather patterns I remember as a kid!

Where are all the global warming alarmists to prove me wrong?
  10. Dazmo

Dazmo Active Member

[Oct 17, 2010]
    Hope your right mate, i remember when it snowed and the country stopped... no school, work or anything!!
  11. beanoir

[Oct 17, 2010]
    Did you also know that the Met Office are the only European weather office to build in a margin in their own forecast to take into account global warming and the perceived increased temps. Just goes to show how much of a farce an political spin it really is when they end being the ones who also got the winter forecast wrong the last two years when others predicted cold average/below average temps.

This is the forecast worth listening to...

UK Winter 2010/11 – initial prospects

A hat trick of cold winters in the United Kingdom?
    If winter 2010/11 is cold in the United Kingdom, it will be the third in succession. Between 1991 and 2007 winters in the UK were mostly milder than the long term average, with the notable exception of 1995. Things changed in 2008/09 with the UK having its first cold winter for over a decade, and this was immediately followed by the winter of 2009/10 which for much of the country was worst since 1978/79, bringing widespread and heavy snowfalls.

TheWeatherOutlook correctly predicted that the last two winters would bring below average temperatures to the UK, and that the two prior to these would be milder than average. We are now being asked whether a third consecutive cold winter is likely. History shows that in Britain cold winters tend to come in clusters. This indicates that some of the underlying factors which cause them can persist or reoccur for a number of years. Despite this, it is unusual to have three consecutive cold winters, but a good example of it happening during the last century was during the period from 1939/40 to 1941/42.
    Winter 2010/11 prospects
    Our view at the current time is that winter 2010/11 is likely to bring colder than average conditions to the UK again, with the risk of heavy snowfall and severe frost affecting much of the country at times. However, the actual pattern of the winter may be different to last year, with the cold tending to come more from the east or south east rather than the north east. In this scenario the heaviest snow often occurs in the boundary zone between the cold dry air from the east, and the mild and moist air trying to push in from the Atlantic. With this pattern we expect the most persistent cold in eastern England and Scotland with temperatures falling as low as -15C overnight, and at times remaining sub zero during the day, but with the chance of heavy snow in western regions and Northern Ireland. We expect the worst of the wintry weather to come during January and the first half of February.

Commentary
    Brian Gaze of TheWeatherOutlook said, “I am currently expecting winter 2010/11 to be colder than average again in the UK. Although cold spells may be less sustained than last year, some very sharp spells of wintry weather are likely to bring heavy snow falls and sharp frost. The battleground between cold continental air and mild Atlantic air may well shift around close to the UK. In the UK the heaviest falls of snow often occur when mild and wet air from the Atlantic runs into dense cold and dry continental air. This can lead to the formation of heavy and slow moving bands of sleet and snow. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see some locations in the west of Britain and Northern Ireland having significant snowfalls, but the coldest weather is likely to persist for longer in eastern Britain. The core of the cold may well be slightly further east than last year, and this is also likely to give much of mainland Europe below average temperatures. If this occurs the alpine ski resorts may have another good season, although cold conditions on their own don’t ensure this because unless some mild and moist air gets into the mix, it often remains too dry for the heavy snow needed. “ Forecast background The initial winter forecast is based on data from seasonal forecasting models, historic weather pattern matching, and recent UK temperature trends. Final winter forecast Our full and final winter forecast for winter 2010/11 will be issued in late November 2010, and will factor in developments during the rest of autumn.
  12. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 3, 2010]
    Bit cold recently I noticed brr brr
  13. beanoir

[Dec 3, 2010]
    Looks like that forecast above is holding up quite well.
  14. beanoir

[Dec 4, 2010]
    Appropriate, I like it!
  15. Turkster

[Dec 4, 2010]
    feeling cold anyone :scared2:
  16. murran

murran Active Member

[Dec 4, 2010]
    look its just global colding............ we need to INCREASE our co2 emissions to combat it.
    ive heard the government is spending £8billion on building special co2 emitting stations......
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  17. Welly

[Dec 5, 2010]
    Decat all cars... Job done.
  18. Turkster

[Dec 5, 2010]
    That would not surprise me, afterall they are spraying us almost everyday from airplaines, "Chemtrails"
  19. Welly

[Dec 6, 2010]
    I love cold winters in this country. Bring it on I say.
  20. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Dec 6, 2010]
    Time to invest in snow mobiles and jet skis.

I just hope the summer is just as extream as the winter.
  21. Welly

[Dec 6, 2010]
    LOL, I've had GREAT fun so far this winter on the quads. I should take photos really, but filming yourself doing doughnuts in the snow on a quad isn't easy.
  22. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Dec 6, 2010]
    I bet. I miss my land rover.
    last year......or was it this year?
    any way, the last big chunk of snow we had down here in plymouth.
    we use to meet up with fellow 4x4ers and go up to dartmoor. driving on untouched roads and plowing our way throught snow drifts or jumping from the roof in to them was so much fun.
    really want to do it again.
    Need to invest in a winterhack 4x4 or a quad. :)
  23. Welly

[Dec 6, 2010]
    :thumbsup: