The great interior debate...

This is all very entertaining if nothing else!!

However just to throw my pennyworth in, I had a VW with touch screen and yes it was difficult to operate quickly when driving. Even compared to a traditional audio unit with buttons your eyes were off the road longer to carry out even a simple task such as changing radio stations.

As regards a heads up display I cannot see how this is safer as your eyes have to re-focus and therefore off the road in front. Also, surely you are still going to have to look away to push/twiddle buttons on the audio unit to control as presumably you can’t prod the windscreen to get it to work??

Actually this is getting ridiculous.

Heads up display would be useful for turns and speed but not do much for radio station, music choice etc (and I'd be very surprised if BMW's version included those).
Btw, as far as I can tell, Bob is looking on behalf of his parents and hasn't claimed otherwise. It does add context to his posts though.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/158398-post-pics-your-a3-8v-here.html (scroll half way down)

Ryes3 "This is just plain nasty "

tcardio: "I wasn't even born in the 70's but that looks like the interior of a FORD Pinto"

voorhees "I could never buy one of these...them air vents..."

glasgowaudi "I think this looks horrendous"

artimus "How could they get it sooo wrong? the new centre console layout and air vents..."

s3mad_dude "They say what goes around comes around! I agree, it looks awful."

There's also a selection of images I think Artimus posted that seems to have inspired the A3
View attachment 12394View attachment 12395air vents
View attachment 12396pop up screen
View attachment 12397drive select?

Right, so one person tenuously describing it as looking like the pinto and another subsequently posting pics of the pinto equates to 'many' people thinking it looks 'dated'...

Right.

5mm thick folding 7inch LCD screens are sooooo 1973....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/158398-post-pics-your-a3-8v-here.html (scroll half way down)

Ryes3 "This is just plain nasty "

tcardio: "I wasn't even born in the 70's but that looks like the interior of a FORD Pinto"

voorhees "I could never buy one of these...them air vents..."

glasgowaudi "I think this looks horrendous"

artimus "How could they get it sooo wrong? the new centre console layout and air vents..."

s3mad_dude "They say what goes around comes around! I agree, it looks awful."

There's also a selection of images I think Artimus posted that seems to have inspired the A3
View attachment 12394View attachment 12395air vents
View attachment 12396pop up screen
View attachment 12397drive select?

I only read that as people not liking the interior, not saying its dated? Each to there own opinion really !! Having driven my 8v for a few months now I get in others , including A5, Q3, golfs (not the new one granted) and think they feel very old.

Mark

Last edited:
i was in an A5 yesterday and found myself thinking 'can't wait to see what Audi do with this cabin next time round.' Its very sedate, bland and, if you will, already quite dated. Audi aren't a company that likes to take risks but I'm glad that they got more bold with the new A3 interior.

You've still lost me... or you just didn't understand the point. If it interests you so much, you can work out how much my A3 cost from the spec in my sig.

I noticed you declined to answer the question.

We're looking to potentially buy a loaded golf or s-line, both of which cost £30k. In response to our discussions, you accused the VW golf of being a poverty spec car, which is ironic when you consider you've ordered a car that costs less.

I noticed you declined to answer the question.

We're looking to potentially buy a loaded golf or s-line, both of which cost £30k. In response to our discussions, you accused the VW golf of being a poverty spec car, which is ironic when you consider you've ordered a car that costs less.

Oh Bob,

I suggest you go back and read posts 63 and 79 again. I suggested that basic SE cars were 'poverty spec' which I clearly stated in post 79. This was in response to the silver dash which looks nasty. Nothing to do with your Golf. The fact your car is 'loaded' as you say makes no difference to anyone. In fact, come resale time you'll see how much people care when they value your car.

I'll tell you what? If I answer your question, are you then going to answer my question?

My A3 was £29k... oh, darn - that's £1k less than you're (allegedly) spending. Mind you, the A4 I currently drive was £33k if that helps ease your conscience as was the S3 before. The 3 series I had specced just prior to the launch of the A3 and at the point of ordering was £37k. The price of the car makes no difference to me if I want the additional value a different car provides. My new car budget was £40k which is why the A7 also fell in (they've currently got excellent discounts)... Does any of this make any difference at all though?

So, I'll ask again - what car do you currently drive?

one could question the sanity of loading a VW with 25% of its value in options, which will have a residual around £12k in 3 years time....

As opposed to your optioned up A3? :blink: :uhm:

Last edited:
Even compared to a traditional audio unit with buttons your eyes were off the road longer to carry out even a simple task such as changing radio stations.

As regards a heads up display I cannot see how this is safer as your eyes have to re-focus and therefore off the road in front. Also, surely you are still going to have to look away to push/twiddle buttons on the audio unit to control as presumably you can’t prod the windscreen to get it to work??

Voice control? Steering wheel buttons?

Why would you use a screen or dashboard buttons to operate radio whilst driving? Sounds very unsafe to me, you should be using the steering wheel buttons at the very least... no?

As opposed to your optioned up A3? :blink: :uhm:

I take it you don't fully understand how the residual value is worked out then. Is it your first new car?

Basically there are very few options that hold any residual value. So if you're adding £7k of options to your Golf, be prepared to lose the lot in addition to the usual depreciation. Your 'loaded' Golf will hit you for circa £18k over three years depending on mileage.

Being as you've mentioned it, I'll lose the £3k of options I've added to my car, but as the list price is higher the residual will be better (depreciation on Golf and A3 are similar). I'll lose circa £15k.

Still keeping your current drive in the dark then? That's two threads now you've avoided the question.

This seems to be quite a long thread for people to thrash the same ideas around.
can't we all just agree to disagree instead of throwing car prices at each other?
you either like it or you don't, there is no right and wrong.
If your happy, drive it, if your not, ditch it. :shrug:

P.S
mines is not "poverty-spec"

I'm guessing a Ford Pinto!!

I'm guessing it's not something to be proud of by the avoidance of the question..... not that anyone cares or would judge for that matter.

It does seem to reinforce what others have posted though - possibly not someone seriously in the market to purchase, but just enjoys winding people up on forums. :box:

Why would you use a screen or dashboard buttons to operate radio whilst driving? Sounds very unsafe to me, you should be using the steering wheel buttons at the very least... no?

Do you know something, you're just out for an argument rather than sensible discussion.

I'm out of this stupid debate on this and your other posts.

Good luck.

Reactions: PjDali and squiretolley
That's two threads now you've avoided the question.

How stupid do you think I am? I'm not avoiding any question, I just don't intend to feed an irrelevent question when the poster's only purpose is to generate further drama.

Just getting silly, now.... it's a car.

Good luck with your purchase.

I'm out.

Bob, why won't you disclose what you currently drive? We're just trying to get some perspective.

With regards to the interior I've never heard it described as 'dated'. I know it divides opinion, but I think the vast majority including me thinks it by far the best in class.

Bob , lots of mature drivers on this forums will remember when steering wheel buttons did not exist , in fact my Mercedes E Class only has a humble Becker head unit with good old fashioned buttons - much easier for my Wife to operate from the passenger seat

Bob, why won't you disclose what you currently drive? We're just trying to get some perspective.

It bears no relevance, gives no perspective to this thread, and and judging from previous posts, is only intended to generate insults. Whether I answer or don't answer the question, some posters seem intent on generating bad feeling, so I really have no intention of participating. If I say my previous car is a a car that people on here happen to respect, there will be jokes that I'm lying... if I say I use hire cars, there will be more jokes, if I say I haven't needed a permanent car until now, more jokes that I must be a teenager or lying, or being unable to drive, if I say my previous car is a car people on here happen to not respect, there will be jokes that my taste doesn't count, if I refuse to answer, there will still be jokes about the car that I drive, and more assumptions about my life, which really isn't relevant to this forum. I'm sorry but I have no intention of feeding the clear intentions here. We're thinking of leaving this forum altogether as we can see there's no way to have sensible discussions with people who are so protective of Audi that they can't tolerate those who offer a different opinion.

Do you know something, you're just out for an argument rather than sensible discussion.

I'm out of this stupid debate on this and your other posts.

Good luck.

I'm sorry you're unable to tolerate anyone offering an honest opinion that differs from yours.

PLEASE do not continue this argument from the locked thread here. If anyone does so after this post and serves to derail this thread even further, they will be banned from any further contribution in this thread.

Thank you.

Reactions: bobwilson
Bob , lots of mature drivers on this forums will remember when steering wheel buttons did not exist , in fact my Mercedes E Class only has a humble Becker head unit with good old fashioned buttons - much easier for my Wife to operate from the passenger seat

The post in question was referring to the mk7 golf, which does have steering wheel buttons.

PLEASE do not continue this argument from the locked thread here. If anyone does so after this post and serves to derail this thread even further, they will be banned from any further contribution in this thread.

Thank you.

thanks quattrojames, it's deeply appreciated

Bob , I have never owned an Audi to date and am looking forward to getting mine next week .

I have no major issues with any bodies view on this forum and i admit we may have been pulling your leg a bit but I do not feel anybody has been really hurtful . I think that maybe your views as a new forum member were maybe a little bit short and sharp at times that is all .

There are however members on this forum that are long standing Audi enthusiasts who are all to willing to offer their advice and experience and this is what a forum like this is all about in my view.

Phew, this is all a bit heavy.

For a bit of perspective, if you (anyone) think the interior of the new A3 is dated, feel free to pop round for a ride in my Mk1 Golf Cab - as the Mk1 cab carried through into the end of the Mk2 hatch production, the interior was dated when it left the factory in 1990!

Some subjective viewpoints from the reviewers; guys that see a lot more interiors and cars than any of us I'd imagine...

What Car?

"The cabin is beautifully built."
"The class leader for cabin quality."
"The desirable badge and gorgeous cabin make it even more appealing."
"close to flawless."
"beautifully weighted switchgear and a super-slim infotainment screen add to the impression that no expense has been spared"
"you can't help but be impressed by the simple elegance and sheer depth of quality that runs throughout the cabin."

Top Gear

"The cabin helps with the ambience... seemingly hewn from granite, uncluttered and smart."
"The A3's cabin is amazing. Audi has raised the quality bar again."

Autocar

"we can’t praise Audi highly enough for the tactile class, unerringly consistent quality and restrained simplicity of the new A3’s cabin. We knew it’d be good. But even the highest expectations won’t allow you to emerge from this cocoon of soft-touch, perfect-fit, knurled and chrome-accented meticulousness without wondering how it’s all possible in a car available for less than £20k."

Auto Express

"Viewed on its own, the third-generation A3 is a smart, head-turning car with some neat detailing. But it’s the interior style and quality that’s most impressive."
"Luxurious and grown up"

The Guardian

"The peekaboo display screen isn't the only nice thing about the inside of this new A3. I especially like the chrome dials surrounding the air vents – they look good, they feel good. Actually, it all looks and feels good. Not too flashy – classy, understated"

Car magazine

"Another brilliantly executed Audi cabin... The pared-down console is remarkably clutter-free, most functions being operated by the standard MMi rotary controller, whose commands are viewed on the wafer thin retractable dash-top screen. Among vaguely affordable cars, there is no finer cabin."

Car and driver

"the A3’s interior is superbly executed."

Reactions: junkbuddy, Gweneira, viperfire and 2 others
Just in the interest of balance, Autocar also said about the new Golf VII, for those of us who do not like the MMI/pop-up screen system...

"In a potent sign of the times, even the S trim model gets a 5.8-inch display, including iPhone-style swiping and a system that senses your fingers’ proximity and allows it to move seamlessly between a simple on-the-move display to one with more on-screen options than you might conceivably want to select".

And What Car said... The dashboard is angled towards the driver, and is a doddle to use thanks to simple rotary climate controls and a standard touch-screen infotainment system that features clear menus and handy shortcut buttons.

As I have said all along. Each to his own.

Just in the interest of balance, Autocar also said about the new Golf VII, for those of us who do not like the MMI/pop-up screen system...

"In a potent sign of the times, even the S trim model gets a 5.8-inch display, including iPhone-style swiping and a system that senses your fingers’ proximity and allows it to move seamlessly between a simple on-the-move display to one with more on-screen options than you might conceivably want to select".

And What Car said... The dashboard is angled towards the driver, and is a doddle to use thanks to simple rotary climate controls and a standard touch-screen infotainment system that features clear menus and handy shortcut buttons.

thats a move in the right direction, having a simple on the move display, having used the old touch system in my fathers VW they need to be ****** big buttons, but its good they have clearly listened to people's complaints about it being to hard to use on the move!

not my cup of tea but as you say each to there own :)

id want one button per swipe screen..... First one being just one huge red circle saying ON !!! Lol

TBF though, this is not a golf v A3 thread... Bobwilson turned it into that.

Some subjective viewpoints from the reviewers; guys that see a lot more interiors and cars than any of us I'd imagine...

What Car?

"The cabin is beautifully built."
"The class leader for cabin quality."
"The desirable badge and gorgeous cabin make it even more appealing."
"close to flawless."
"beautifully weighted switchgear and a super-slim infotainment screen add to the impression that no expense has been spared"
"you can't help but be impressed by the simple elegance and sheer depth of quality that runs throughout the cabin."

Top Gear

"The cabin helps with the ambience... seemingly hewn from granite, uncluttered and smart."
"The A3's cabin is amazing. Audi has raised the quality bar again."

Autocar

"we can’t praise Audi highly enough for the tactile class, unerringly consistent quality and restrained simplicity of the new A3’s cabin. We knew it’d be good. But even the highest expectations won’t allow you to emerge from this cocoon of soft-touch, perfect-fit, knurled and chrome-accented meticulousness without wondering how it’s all possible in a car available for less than £20k."

Auto Express

"Viewed on its own, the third-generation A3 is a smart, head-turning car with some neat detailing. But it’s the interior style and quality that’s most impressive."
"Luxurious and grown up"

The Guardian

"The peekaboo display screen isn't the only nice thing about the inside of this new A3. I especially like the chrome dials surrounding the air vents – they look good, they feel good. Actually, it all looks and feels good. Not too flashy – classy, understated"

Car magazine

"Another brilliantly executed Audi cabin... The pared-down console is remarkably clutter-free, most functions being operated by the standard MMi rotary controller, whose commands are viewed on the wafer thin retractable dash-top screen. Among vaguely affordable cars, there is no finer cabin."

Car and driver

"the A3’s interior is superbly executed."

But they never say anything bad about any car. I'm sorry, but a review that doesn't highlight *any* bad points or makes any car out to be perfect, can't be an honest review.

Bob are you suggesting those are dishonest reviews simply because they don't align with your own?

In fact don't answer that cos ill simply pass over any contributions on this forum from you.

Bob are you suggesting those are dishonest reviews simply because they don't align with your own?

In fact don't answer that cos ill simply pass over any contributions on this forum from you.

No, I'm suggesting that any candid review would include both positive and negative aspects, as no car is perfect. If anything, knowing the problems with any car can be just as helpful as the positive aspects in determining which one to purchase.

I'm sorry you feel so upset that you can't tolerate anyone who may disagree with yourself.

Those reviews, and indeed all of the reviews I have read pretty much say the same thing: How good the new A3 is.
There are reviews out there from long term users of the car; Autocar to name one, which you may find interesting, but even they don't find much to dislike with the Audi. Clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea, whether in SE, Sport or S Line flavours, but clearly it has something for everyone.
Audi must have done something right with the A3 this time as even What Car like it and have given it their highest accolade this year. To me they were the biggest haters of the A3 in it's previous guise, however this did not stop me buying three of them over the years, and soon to be four.
I'm unsure exactly what it is your trying to find wrong with the A3. If you don't like it, well, don't like it. But seriously stop looking for someone to agree with you; just buy the vehicle that you do like.
The Golf VII get similarly great reviews, no one's slagging it off here though, or diseminating it looking for something wrong are they?

Last edited: