1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The flying Banana's back better then ever

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Markb, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You could use the LED stipr repeaters just on the inside front of the front wheel arch. That way your indication will be visible, and it wont ruin the clean lines.

RIch

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I have been looking into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  2. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    just a thought, but what the hell have you actually declaired to your insurance company out of those mods? I guess it's void anyway because it would fail an MOT, just wondering though, guess the wheels but what about the body work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every modification bar the side repeaters are declared to the insurance company.

The car came came back on the back of a low loader. So has not been on the road.

I am looking into alternative locations now. Mayb even the one Rich suggested.
  3. benk

benk Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    Not sure exactly where you mean to mount the repeaters under the arch, but if low on the inside front of the arch, wouldn't they be hidden when the wheels were turned out? Even more likely if you're lowered, etc.
  4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Oct 6, 2005]
    you must have a mod friendly insurance policy then! take it the policy went up quite a bit for the wheels... good luck sorting the indicator problem!

how about a strip of LEDs in the door opening as long as you can get them bright enough to be partially hidden so they don't interfear with the look?
  5. Timbo

Timbo Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess it's void anyway because it would fail an MOT, just wondering though, guess the wheels but what about the body work?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Vehicles don't have to be road legal to be insured - the two things are entirely independent! If insurance was contingent on passing an MOT then you'd be uninsured driving an MOT failure away from the test station to go and get the remedial work done.

I used to have a non-road-legal end can on my motorbike, declared to the insurance company. They couldn't have cared less that it wasn't road legal.

[ QUOTE ]

Every modification bar the side repeaters are declared to the insurance company.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd declare the side repeaters too - or are you waiting until you settle on a replacement?

Might be worth talking to an SVA person about repeater placement as there are rules and regs.
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not sure exactly where you mean to mount the repeaters under the arch, but if low on the inside front of the arch, wouldn't they be hidden when the wheels were turned out? Even more likely if you're lowered, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they would be visible. Unless your at on hell of an angle, the front of the arch is never obstructed by the wheel. And the LED strips are bright enough to be seen clearly.

Rich
  7. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you must have a mod friendly insurance policy then! take it the policy went up quite a bit for the wheels... good luck sorting the indicator problem!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Adrian flux are great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It cost me a £15 admistration fee and that was it. All mods declared.
  8. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Oct 6, 2005]
    BLOODY HELL... I'll be giving them a call when my renewal comes around and see if they can do better than last year, or maybe the problem is I don't have any mods... think I'll be asking for quotes for a chipped S3 this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
  9. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    BLOODY HELL... I'll be giving them a call when my renewal comes around and see if they can do better than last year, or maybe the problem is I don't have any mods... think I'll be asking for quotes for a chipped S3 this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just renewed my insurance on my S3 recently, and currently paying £777.75 through GreenLight insurance with all my mods declared (remap, fmic, suspension, brakes and alloys), with my nest best quote being approx. £950 from AdrianFlux, whome I was insured with previously?!?.... standard car would have been around £420ish, so looks like modified insurance is on the up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  10. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    Adrian Flux were the cheapest on a standard or modified A3 for me. So they got my money.

Also they said they were good with mods, bar engine mods. So that was good for me.
  11. RichA3Turbo

[Oct 7, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Adrian Flux were the cheapest on a standard or modified A3 for me. So they got my money.

Also they said they were good with mods, bar engine mods. So that was good for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flux are good with mods..engine mods included. That who i was with last year. Went for Greenlight this year for renewal though as they were £600 cheaper!! paying £1100 fully declared, unlimited mileage.

Rich
  12. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Oct 7, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flux are good with mods..engine mods included. That who i was with last year. Went for Greenlight this year for renewal though as they were £600 cheaper!! paying £1100 fully declared, unlimited mileage.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to try them then when my renewal comes through next year. Is that all mods declared? and still cheaper then Flux?
  13. RichA3Turbo

[Oct 7, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to try them then when my renewal comes through next year. Is that all mods declared? and still cheaper then Flux?

[/ QUOTE ]

The quotes were like for like. Not a single modification left out. £600 is a massive difference!!

Rich
  14. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Oct 27, 2005]
    Blimey, I've missed loads whilst I've been away!

Car looks wicked mark! filling over the bumper seams really changes the overall look for the better.

It a bit late now, but I wanted to show you a pic of an S3 at Worthersee. check out how they blended the bumper into the plastic parts under the rear lights. Like I say a bit too late now.......sorry.
    clicky

Also, while I remember. About your small wing mirror quest. A bunch of golf/bora guys are starting to fit lupo mirrors to their cars. You can swap the mirror part with the base plate to get them to fit. Might work for the A3? Just an idea if ya bored one weekend.

Keep up the good work!