The Definitive Cheap Ebay Coilover Thread (Jamex) With" how to"guide

Yeah, I think I will this weekend.

We've got a new grille, the black angle eye headlights are in the UK so fingers crossed they will be delivered today and then its in for respray in the next week or so!

Debating what to do badge wise, I'm saying Lou should debadge the rear and just keep the rings, then chrome rings on the front with a black surround?

Spanner, that's always been the plan anyway! And yes Prawny, you tell him, wind the a*se down for me!

hey guys.... i have just received this kit too and have done the rears, whats the best approach to remove to top mount, i have slacked off the bottom.....

I'm looking at fitting a set of FK AK's next week and wanted to check what else i should replace at the same time.. [top mounts etc]

The cars done 150k so I want to replace anything perishable..

So far:

Adjustable drop links - best supplier for these?
Front Top Mounts

What else is recommended?

Cheers

Baz

hello, forgive me I'm quite new to the whole forum scene and am just trying to get some information, i currently drive a 99 A3 8l, its a 1.6 and as i've not seen many of them around i cant make up my mind entirely, only plenty of s3's which look amazing.
I'm looking at getting some BBS CH Reps as i am on a tight budget atm. I'm looking to get 18" and also thinking of the JOM coilovers in mind aswell, ebay for £200 roughly
Anyway enough of life story, my question is, how low can i get my car with these alloys on, ive seen ebay, they are 18x8 et35 the stud diameter is 5x100 and rim width is 8j, i also have no idea if i am going to need spacers etc etc
any information would be greatly appreaciated, thanx in advance

A bit of a dead thread but just to add this im also runnign jamex coilovers on my 8P. And not had any problems and much better than my standard set up :)
A mate of mine has them on his Mk5 GTI for nearly 2years and not had one problem.
cheers

Reactions: Vex182
hello, forgive me I'm quite new to the whole forum scene and am just trying to get some information, i currently drive a 99 A3 8l, its a 1.6 and as i've not seen many of them around i cant make up my mind entirely, only plenty of s3's which look amazing.
I'm looking at getting some BBS CH Reps as i am on a tight budget atm. I'm looking to get 18" and also thinking of the JOM coilovers in mind aswell, ebay for £200 roughly
Anyway enough of life story, my question is, how low can i get my car with these alloys on, ive seen ebay, they are 18x8 et35 the stud diameter is 5x100 and rim width is 8j, i also have no idea if i am going to need spacers etc etc
any information would be greatly appreaciated, thanx in advance

CHs would look mint. I have fitted the JOM coilies to mine and they've been spot on so far. Although I've only been running them for around 6 months so far. I'd recommend them on my experience with them so far.

I run similar spec alloys in the summer. You'll be able to lower the car around 40mm without any problems. If you lower it more than this you'll get issues with the ARB rubbing against the driveshaft. Spacers are entirely up to you, I run 10mm on the rears and they sit flush with the arch.

Hope that helps.

I'm sold :) Great thread guys Appreciate the time you put into it :D

Yup some great info here, would FK lowering springs fit strait to my 8l without coilovers?

Thanks

Can you change the rear spring and dampers by having the car on stands with a trolley jack supporting the rear axle and once what is neede to be undone just lower the trolley jack to let the springs out?

yea, rear springs and dampers around a 40 minutes job on the driveway with stands.

Jack the car up, support with axle stands NOT on the beam, take the weight of one of the spring platforms with a jack, and undo the rear top mounts. Lower the jack down, and the springs will just fall out.

Fit new springs, replace shocks, then jack it back up until you can get the top mounts back on.

simples :)

Cheers prawn, going to be doing this, this morning, may replace my front wishbones also seeing my poly bushes I ordered haven't turned up and can't get hold of the seller now to get refund, also rod ends to

I'll bump this our people who can't use search bars and FAQ's.

Still on, still low, still damping very well. Car has done 24k on them now, I lowered the front and rear further last week and with a little tap with the mallet all lock rings were free and easily adjusted.

I have got a contact for buying these now, he is called Les and owns VeeDub machine.

veedubmachine, Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda Porsche spares and accessories

01209 314206

If you tell him that Jardo who owned the green BMW who had a couple of sets off him last year sent you he should sort you a deal. Even if hey are a couple of quid more I would rather buy from him, because he is a really nice bloke and his service is great.

Reactions: Pubemammal and kwistof
I'll bump this our people who can't use search bars and FAQ's.

Still on, still low, still damping very well. Car has done 24k on them now, I lowered the front and rear further last week and with a little tap with the mallet all lock rings were free and easily adjusted.

I have got a contact for buying these now, he is called Les and owns VeeDub machine.

veedubmachine, Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda Porsche spares and accessories

01209 314206

If you tell him that Jardo who owned the green BMW who had a couple of sets off him last year sent you he should sort you a deal. Even if hey are a couple of quid more I would rather buy from him, because he is a really nice bloke and his service is great.

This must not be running the standard ARB at that height? Looks so good.

Yep, stock ARB.

This whole ARB rubbing thing seems so weird, mine is pretty low and on 17's and it has never rubbed.

Yep, stock ARB.

This whole ARB rubbing thing seems so weird, mine is pretty low and on 17's and it has never rubbed.

Thats good to hear. Think ill stick the coilies on before I waste money on an ARB then. Has she still got the adjusters in on the back?

Yep, wound as low as the adjusters go.

Reactions: Pubemammal
Can you still get the Jamex coilovers? I have pinged the guy you recommended and he has not responded.

Got mine second hand couple weeks ago. Try jamex website.. looks like theyre still available. Seem very good so far

y3y7ube8.jpg