The moderately informational brake thread....

I've no experience of any of the brake upgrades so my feedback will be pretty useless, they're bound to be better than stock. Il have to let someone like prawn have a go of my car at the next show or something.

Does anyone know if the 312 S3 front setup fits behind standard A3 1.8t speedlines ?
I've searched and can't find the answer !

312's will definitely fit behind standard 16" Sport wheels Basil. One done it a few times.
I've no experience of any of the brake upgrades so my feedback will be pretty useless, they're bound to be better than stock. Il have to let someone like prawn have a go of my car at the next show or something.

They will absolutely work Karl, and I think you'll like them very much.

You'll experience 20% more pedal travel than standard, but it should still be a decent pedal at the bottom of that travel. In theory slightly softer than standard, but in reality probably no softer as the new calipers are much stiffer.

Travel isn't likely to be an issue on the road, but you may well find it harder to heel n toe without making alterations to the pedal heights, as the brake pedal will sit lower than the throttle by an additional 20% when braking.

Reactions: basil brush, MIGGZ and superkarl
Unless I've missread between the lines here, I don't like what you're implying Snowy

You have, I think

Just pondering apon Sam's comment

There have been some very subjective, and in hindsight amusing comments on the subject over the years

It's always interesting to see how long it is before some fancy setup or other quiety comes up for sale 6month - year after fitting

You have, I think

It's always interesting to see how long it is before some fancy setup or other quiety comes up for sale 6month - year after fitting

:laugh: that's ok then. haha.

I thought my generic 6 pot 2 piece brakes were going to be the best thing since sliced bread when I excitedly ordered and fitted them.

The reality was sadly somewhat different, and I spent 9 months trying to find and solve an issue that couldn't be fixed, before returning them to the manufacturer as unfit for purpose and taking a full refund.

Is it not possible to edit posts anymore??
I was going to add costs to my kit.

its as follows:
calipers: £3-400
Discs: £152
Pads: £115
Adapters: £136
Lines:£40

Posts can't be edited after someone else has replied no. It's REALLY annoying.

Reactions: snowy and superkarl
t

.. generic 6 pot 2 piece brakes ..

I've had my own fun & games with the 'cheap' generic-ish types

Well designed but poorly made

I didn't get any kind of refund though

What I did take away from the experience was that a dual stage 6pot caliper can deliver very fast low latency piston response

Is it not possible to edit posts anymore??
I was going to add costs to my kit.

its as follows:
calipers: £3-400
Discs: £152
Pads: £115
Adapters: £136
Lines:£40

I've edited your post with the info bud, limited to what I can do on an ipad though... I will add the info to the first post when I get to a desktop.

Using plain EBC discs. Nothing fancy.
I did look at ECS 2 piece, but for 15% weight saving over something that weighs several ton, theyre still gonna weigh several ton lol

I ended up opting for the ECS 2 piece discs, which equates to just over a 3kg weight saving on the front axles when compared to the OEM R32 discs made by Zimmermann.

Have to say there is quiet a bit of unswept area on the rotor though on my 996t kit.
I'm currently getting the place I purchased them from to investigate with ECS as I'd say near on 10mm is unswept - but no over lapping from the pad as it's fully in contact with the entire disc and the caliper is only a mm or two from the edge of disc also - so the adapter is correct also.
Also double checked the p/n on the pad and that tallies up :confused:

Will post some pictures of my full set up when I get a chance

dude, you're using calipers from one car, and discs from another.

If the pad is 50mm deep, and the available disc area is 60mm, nothing on earth will change the 10mm unswept area....

Kits using other OE calipers are only ever a 'best fit' compromise.

there's nothing wrong with the unswept area really in performance terms, it just looks nasty.

I'm still on the same discs that my car had when I first bought the car over 15,000 miles ago... they'd only just been fitted so I thought I might as well get my use out of them.

The car has never had good braking. My Dads slightly newer S3 with 50,000 less miles on the clock seems to brake completely differently to mine.

My discs are of an unknown brand but are grooved. The pads have been changed around 10k miles ago but they're just you're run of the mill pads.

I've had the brake fluid completely changed / bled... which seems to make a small difference for a few miles but then it seems to go back to how it was before.
I have replaced the brake master cylinder (genuine Audi part) and again, it made a small difference for a short amount of time but it seems to be back to how it was before.

Would I notice a difference by buying some standard discs, with performance pads and race spec brake fluid?

I ended up opting for the ECS 2 piece discs, which equates to just over a 3kg weight saving on the front axles when compared to the OEM R32 discs made by Zimmermann.

Have to say there is quiet a bit of unswept area on the rotor though on my 996t kit.
I'm currently getting the place I purchased them from to investigate with ECS as I'd say near on 10mm is unswept - but no over lapping from the pad as it's fully in contact with the entire disc and the caliper is only a mm or two from the edge of disc also - so the adapter is correct also.
Also double checked the p/n on the pad and that tallies up :confused:

Will post some pictures of my full set up when I get a chance
What prawn said.
I am incredibly lucky in that the RS3 pads must not be far off the depth of R32 pads, so i get a very small unswept area.
Its always good to utilise as much disc area as possible, but there is nothing you can do about it with your setup, thats just how those calipers/pads sit on those discs.

I've seen a few set ups like mine but using either OEM R32 Zimmermann discs or other discs like the EBC that all pretty much fit bang on with very little unswept area.

I couldn't find an off the shelf 2 piece set up for mine other than this ECS option, and the custom places I all spoke to wanted 50% more than ECS for the fully floating hat/rotor which I jut couldn't justify.

Either way I am so impressed with the braking capability and also have the 300mm option on the rear so used to unswept area lol.

RS3 brake install

The 'kit':
3a68a28937b630f4f91706fdb16c6926.jpg

1x pair of RS3 calipers
1x pair of mk4 R32 334mm discs (in my case ebc)
1x pair of brake pads (ebc red stuff, Evo X shares same caliper/pads)
1x set of epytec adapters
1x set of custom HEL hoses from DAGhosesupplies
And peanut the bulldog

Compared to the stock rs3 calipers designed for a 370mm disc:
1b71fb74b01949572ddf0dac0edc0431.jpg

what material epytec adapter alu or steel ??
and brake master cylinder good this brake
noot need 25,4mm ??

there's nothing wrong with the unswept area really in performance terms, it just looks nasty.

Looks real stupid, lol, LCR Type Brembos sitting on 312mm discs using Porsche Boxster adapters, only tested because I wanted to see if it would fit under stock 16" wheels

D9241CFA-E2D7-4CAE-8AA7-2930CFD950E2_zpsbx9uf44x.jpg

Did they fit ?

From measuring they would need a 20mm wheel spacer to clear the wheels,
I just decided to stick with the S3 312mm discs and calipers with braided hoses as they were an uprade on the stock 288mm I had as standard anyway.

Any know where I can get the caliper brackets to mount 996 boxter fronts on the s3? And 330mm discs, drilled or grooved?

996 front and boxster s fronts are the same caliper are they not?

996 carrera sorry!!
Turbo c4s etc are bigger!

Creation motorsport have them to suit your calipers and the discs

I assume your using alfa discs????
Also grooved NOT drilled!!!!

Boxster S or 996 c2/4 are the same caliper and fit with a 330x28.

Plain Boxster fronts arnt great and fit a 312x25 on a different bracket.

C4s/ turbo calipers use a different bracket again and typically fit the r32 334mm discs.

my car no passed epytec adapet tt-rs caliper and ebc disc :(

Attachments

• DSC_0381_resize.JPG
    DSC_0381_resize.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC_0380_resize.JPG
    DSC_0380_resize.JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: SHUk
R32 334mm disc?

did you use the bolts provided by them for the adapters? If so they don't fit into the calliper.
It must be an issue with the adapter. If you contact them I'm sure they'll sort it for you.

yes r32 334m disc EBC bsd
radial bolt used original caliper because included not good
adapter fitting use included
yes are send mail epytec my problem
sorry my english not best :(

Attachments

• DSC_0426_resize.JPG
    DSC_0426_resize.JPG
    707.8 KB · Views: 331
Are you fitting to an Audi S3? S3 hubs?
Are you using any washers on the adapter or hub?

my car 2001 s3 amk ...
original 312 brake

no any spacer the hub
and this car front suspension/hub original not changed
first try not use washers the fitting
and after try 1mm but to much

here 1mm washers pictures same w/o not good :(

Attachments

• DSC_0408_resize.JPG
    DSC_0408_resize.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC_0409_resize.JPG
    DSC_0409_resize.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 361
next week buy correct shim washers 0,2mm and try settings correct center alignment

You bedded them in yet? Still can't make mind up wether to get a set of not.

You bedded them in yet? Still can't make mind up wether to get a set of not.
I haven't actually bedded them in as per prawns instruction yet, and I haven't fully bled the system either as I just opened the nipples when I fit them. I have a couple litres or ATE to go in when I can get round to it.

Despite this, I've just taken my dad out and he said '******* hell, it stops like my bike'
So they must be alright haha. They do however feel a little wooden when cold, but I'm more than happy to live with that for the hot performance.

Reactions: Dani_B19