The moderately informational brake thread....

you can also use cayenne, q7, touareg 6 pots on the front. The 17zr/l's work better because of the piston sizes and adapters are £70 from lee (cnc-machinist from r32oc/jack-the-lad-uk on ebay. just got mine from him and could not be happier, really helpful guy and very very good product. work with r32 discs or 350x32 ecs'. My calipers are off for painting but will get pics when ive got them back.
And if you are after different adapters im sure lee would be up for a challange and cheaper than most :)

tom

ICE; the above combination is what a lot of people have gone for, that don't want bigger calipers.

I will be going for them as soon as I get my **** in gear.

What are peoples views on the following combination in terms of performance, noise and brake dust:

Black Diamond grooved discs and Ferodo DS pads

or

OEM discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads

Both used with standard S3 calipers.

Hey ice, I had the Black Diamond Grooved/DS2500 set up prior to fitting Brembo's and they done a great job stopping the S when needed, they didn’t squeak or create any more dust that was noticeable. I ran them for well over a year , maybe more can't remember for sure before selling them on.

Best way to sum them up would be a great cost effective way of improving oem brake feel and look without blowing the budget.

I should have bought those off you Maz. Now looking at £300 quid up front :(

what brakes do you have now Maz? Are they LCR brembos? Have you noticed an increase in breaking performance?

I should have bought those off you Maz. Now looking at £300 quid up front :(

Sheesh is that how much they are now.

Never mind bud, you had a chance to grab a bargain there :p .

what brakes do you have now Maz? Are they LCR brembos? Have you noticed an increase in breaking performance?

I've got the GT Kit (grooved discs and Brembo pads, will change to DS2500 pads again when need be.

For sure, they are sh't hot and do the job with ease, I'm a safe driver majority of the time but when I have a funny half hour or so they give you the confidence to drive hard without fear.

Reactions: ANDYTQ
cool thanks for that, i managed to get my self a set, but they arent grooved disks and i dont know what pads they are but good to know that i should feel that i have spent my money on something worthwhile :)

Reactions: Scullies
Yeah, i managed to get some LCR bremos of ebay. Calipers, carriers, disks and pads included. Disks look pretty rusty compared to the picture shown though. They need to be skimmed, not sure what pads ive got :)

I know the ones you've bought (you little ****** ;)).

I still wonder about this as there are a few going on eBay. What are you going to do - buy new discs and pads?

Lol, ah, not those ones, I was watching them but have seen them up for £100 less ;);)

Yeah saw the R32, might consider those...

I'm getting some r32 calipers and hoses. Do the vw hoses mate to the existing brake lines ok?

I'm getting some r32 calipers and hoses. Do the vw hoses mate to the existing brake lines ok?

No they dont the brackets need a little bit of bending and possible the use of a dremel :(

just bought some lcr brembo's few questions

are standerd disc's ok with them
the carriers will fit straight on i no but will the bolts from my standered s3 calipers go with the brembo carriers anyone no tar
and are they hard to bleed
the discs iv got with them are 326 mm they the ryt size and there just plain disc's

hi anyone no where i can get mylcr brembo's refurbed or servicing what ever they do to em tar

I've got the GT Kit (grooved discs and Brembo pads, will change to DS2500 pads again when need be.

For sure, they are sh't hot and do the job with ease, I'm a safe driver majority of the time but when I have a funny half hour or so they give you the confidence to drive hard without fear.

hi mate did u use the lcr carriers to fit them to the s3 or did u have to make some tar i just bought some lcr's pads and disc's for 260 off a guy near me who brakes car im buzing fitting them next week need some good brake fluid and hoses now

Hi,

Can anyone confirm that a3 quattro rear calipers are actually different to the rest of the mk4 platform? As first thread says needs 6mm spacer.

I have a quattro that needs a new rear caliper but theres no point buying a mk4 caliper if they wont fit!

Cheers

Baz

Also does anybody know if the standard bolts will fit with the R32 calipers?

same as R32 brakes.

They will work, but they're incredibly heavy, and still an ancient sliding caliper design.

Also, replacement discs are mega monies.....

Also does anybody know if the standard bolts will fit with the R32 calipers?

Yep they work fine, and to the below yes they may be old and have expensive replacements but i got my kit for £250 including almost new discs and sold my old 312mm set up with almost worn out discs for £230 over all one hell of an upgrade for £20 they are worth £250 all day imo even on an r32 the discs are good for 50k. i couldnt recommend the upgrade enough :)

thats good to hear, i just bought a set for 150. Going to refurb them before i fit them though

Great thanks, I got the whole set up with brand new disks and pads for £300 which I thought was pretty good :) just one of the bolts was missing so that's a relif to know I can use one of the originals! I seem to have misplaced one of metal clips are these easy to get hold of?

does the front to rear brake bias need adjusting when sticking big brakes up front?

Great thanks, I got the whole set up with brand new disks and pads for £300 which I thought was pretty good :) just one of the bolts was missing so that's a relif to know I can use one of the originals! I seem to have misplaced one of metal clips are these easy to get hold of?

I have a few spares if you need them give me a shout but mine were identical, metal clips? as in the pad carriers? Just a little word of warning the r32 pads dont have a ware sensor so you will have to cut your old one off the and solder it up and stick it back on.

think i have enough bolts now but thanks anyway :D yea think its the pad carrier/clip the long one that goes on the outside of the caliper?

Has anybody put the standard s3 front brakes onto the rear when upgrading the fronts?

Does anyone no if the s3 brake set up fit on a mrk 3 vr6 golf tar

That would be overkill for rear brake bias, even my ECS stage 1 rears, 308mm is overkill, but it looks good!

Thanks Jojo.

Back of the envelope number scrawling suggests that upgrading the fronts to the LCR brembos is an 86% increase in breaking effectiveness and changing the rears to the fronts is in fact a 146% increase in breaking effectiveness, and thats ignoring any change in pad area (because i dont know them). Does that sound about right?

A little overkill! Not a great idea then

EDIT:

Right, so leaving the rears as standard would seem more sensible. Considering a standard front to rear brake bias of 60/40 upgrading the front barking effectiveness by 86% would change the front to rear bias from 60/40 to 74/26. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
You could run 2 rear discs made of cardboard and you wouldn't notice a performance drop as they hardly do anything. It's all about the looks.

im selling my s3 brake set and a brembo set up thats all and someone has asked me if the s3 set up will fit straight on to mrk 3 golf vr6 thats all tar for reply mate