1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Definative S3 8L Polybush Thread

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ShaunS3, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

[Jan 2, 2013]
    Hi guys,

I have done a thread search and had a look through the sticky threads and I can't seem to find any definative info on Polybushing the S3 8L, so i'm here looking for help with a view to getting this thread to 'sticky thread' status in order to assist other members wanting to carry out this modification.

I have a facelift S3 8L (2002/51 MY) and i want to completely polybush the car but i am unsure of what to polybush and what not to polybush.

As far as i know, the gearbox dog bone mount already has a polybush fitted but the rest of the car is running on standard OEM rubber bushes that are showing their age.

Here are a few common FAQ's that i think will be the main questions being asked by members wanting to polybush their S3 8L:

Where can I buy polybush items for my car?

What grade should I go for (Road use)?

What grade should I go for (Track use)?

Who are the best recommended manufacturers to go for?

What areas can I polybush?

Where not to polybush?

Can I buy a complete kit or do I have to buy each polybush individually?

As i said above, i am looking to completely polybush my car and replace all the standard OEM rubber items. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with enough in detail information in order for me to start sourcing the polybush kit.

Information i am looking for would be diagrams, links to suppliers websites, previous experience etc

In return, i will update this thread with progress pics and comments to make it more user friendly for other members wishing to polybush their car.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Birdy

Birdy Member

[Jan 2, 2013]
    powerflex are what im using and im bushing all but engine mounts. maybe someone has rosejoint for comparison???
  4. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Jan 3, 2013]
  5. future

future Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001

[Jan 3, 2013]
    Generally for road use you will have;
    poly front wishbone bushes and arb bushes with a rubber (non voided) rear bush for the front wishbones.
    Accompany this with a fully poly bushed rear set up.
    Lcr top mounts and a red dogbone mount.

This will give a firmer, tighter ride without any crashing. This does depend on the suspension set up you are running of course though.

For a more track orientated set up I would say use a poly rear bush in the front wishbones, a yellow dogbone mount and poly/solid top mounts. If you are changing rear control arms then go rose jointed, if you have the money you an also change the front wishbones to rosé joints if you wish. You can also concider solid subframe mounts to reduce that extra bit of movement.

In terms of companies, power flex seems to be very popular and haves very good feel with minimal crashing. Another popular brand is super pro who are a little more expensive but I can't comment on quality I'm afraid. I used a 'race' set of bushings from a contact in Motorsport who in happy to put anyone in touch with :)

Hope this all makes sense and helps a few people out

tom
  6. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

[Jan 3, 2013]
    I used powerflex for all the bushes and got everything fitted from this diagram which I found very useful -

Powerflex
  7. ShaunS3

8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2013]
    I wouldn't use bush number 2 here as have found them to fail early (they squeeze out) and would use the TT solid bushes instead... no mention of front strut top mounts either... LCR top mounts are a harder rubber than std ones but there are poly versions available now I believe (I think Powerflex may make some now too)...

I have only done the front of my car (LCR tops, Powerflex bushes (position 1) and TT solid rubber bushes (in position 2)) and found it improved the feel no end but then coming from tired OE bushes anything will feel better...

Position 4 bushes are solid rubber as are position 5 bushes on S3's... a new set of bushes will always make the car feel tighter anyway... no experience of doing the rears as I have not got around to doing mine...

<tuffty/>
  9. ShaunS3

[Jan 5, 2013]
    What is the difference between standard and Rosé joints? - Simplest English terms please :)
  10. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Number 4 in the diagram will bring your car back to life.....

Rose joint is a solid mechanical metal mount (wouldn't recommend to be fair) unless you hate your spine
  11. ShaunS3

[Jan 5, 2013]
    LOL Dave....Rosé joints crossed off the list haha

What setup do you have on yours?
  12. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Everything poly bushed mate, either from powerflex, super pro and my own poly bushes (tie-bar mounts)
  13. ShaunS3

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Are they only applicable if fitting adjustable tie bars? - Still need some of these to bring the rear camber back in.
  14. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 5, 2013]
    No mate direct fit with standard bars too...
  15. ShaunS3

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Presume they aren't available from the usual suppliers, hence why you made your own?
  16. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Ive poly bushed all but number 2.

Number 4 is the best one in terms of improvement.

In your position i would buy a kit and then sell number 2 off.
  17. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

[Jan 6, 2013]
    Have you run them Dave? It's weird, everyone who hasn't run them says them says they're horrid but everyone who has them says they're not that bad at all. I've got them on the rear and have no issues. There's obviously going be much more 'feel' which may be too much for some. A guy on vortex has run a fully rose jointed setup for 90k on his daily drive with no issues and seems to love the ride.

Are number 4 easy to fit?
  18. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Jan 6, 2013]
    Not A3 but on my MK4 golf I ran the Number 2 bushes aswell and these lasted very well, did 60-70k in them and just fitted them to my last A3 with failing bushes.

To be honest I can't say much for the change as I had masses of work done all in 1 day which totally transformed the car, eibach coilies, arb and poly bushed all round.

When my A3 bushes start wearing no doubt i'll use Powerflex again.
  19. ShaunS3

[Jan 7, 2013]
    So if the option was there of LCR vs Polybush top mounts, i take it the obvious answer would be Polybush?
    rhubarb4 likes this.
  20. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Jan 8, 2013]
    Personally I'd go LCR, tried and tested and not likely to be as much of a bone shaker.
  21. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2013]
    Good thread. I'll be poly bushing my rear end (of the S3...) in the spring when I fit my Bilstein B8s & adjustable tie bars. As Sam_ asked, any fitting advice for these bushes?
  22. ShaunS3

[Feb 24, 2013]
    Here's my new and updated/edited version of the diagram - Hopefully, it should make it alot easier to see what you need.

PLEASE NOTE: These are road use bushes only - Race/Track have different part numbers.

View attachment 11697
  23. AFDanHef

AFDanHef Member

[Feb 24, 2013]
    I spoke with the Super Pro rep at the Autosport International show for almost an hour about their bushings. He explained to me every bush they had for the S3 and the benefits of them all. I felt great about their bushings when I left there. He also gave me a Super Pro show voucher for 10% off! I was only looking to do a couple of bushings but I liked this kit so much that I had to have it.

Audi A3 MkI S3 1999 > 2004 Front & Rear Suspension Bush Kit with Alignment Correction - KIT5240ADJK | SuperPro Europe Ltd.

It allows caster increase in the front and camber adjustment in the rear. I had a caster kit on my Pulsar and it made a huge difference on handling under braking! I have this kit but haven't fitted it yet. I will post up pics and results on here once I have.

The only other thing I am looking at getting is the dogbone bush and LCR uppers.

I also went buy the Power Flex booth ... nice people ... but not near as good as the experience at the Super Pro booth ... and no discount. :noway:
  24. lovemelongtime

lovemelongtime Member

[Feb 25, 2013]
    Hi tuffty, do you know the part number for front, rear TT solid rubber bushes?
  25. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Certified Jardo Slayer

[Mar 4, 2013]
    Seriously considering doing this now, think I'm going TT rears as well rather than poly
  26. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

[Aug 28, 2013]
    I have a red front dog bone mount which made a good positive gear change. I am thinking of changing bushes number 5 on the rear tie arms, my rubbers look a little spilt and tired. Anyone else does these? Looks pretty easy, just unbolt then and knock the old ones out? Thanks for any advice!