The Cure...

Horchsense

Reaction score
For all those suffering from rattly window syndrome, I can now announce that after exhaustive tests in the steve b laboratories I have the cure - sort of.
BMW product "Gummipflege" applied to the groove in the top of the seal running around the door will eradicate the "rattle which disappears when you put the window down a few mils" completely - for up to 3 weeks.
Give it a spray once fortnightly when you wash the car and you too can have a rattle free A3. I have now begun to stop worrying about rattles love the little fxxxxr once again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

i go through spells where i love my car then sometimes i dont,i walk up to it and think time for a change,then another time ill think what a lovely car ill keep it,

ive always been like it does anyone do the same.

this gummie stuff, howd do we get hold of the stuff, just got into BMW dealers and ask for a tube of the stuff or what??? how much is it too???

You spend 20+k on a car, you don't expect to have to go to BMW and buy a tube of 'whatever' to stop your car from rattling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Reactions: AberDan
[ QUOTE ]
You spend 20+k on a car, you don't expect to have to go to BMW and buy a tube of 'whatever' to stop your car from rattling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah bit of a joke when audi cant admit to a problem, mines in for stealers to look at soon, they said " never had an A3 with this problem, just TT's " LMAO WTF do they think ppl are that dumb ?!?!?

Hey Slug - this is a public information announcement - you sound like you're shouting at me...
"Gummipflege" literally means "rubber care" (not rubber wear!!) I think the part number is 82.14.9.407.015 - and yes you go to your nearest BMW dealer (parts) and order the aerosol - try saying "please"...It's around £4.50 a can.
If you follow my threads you'll see this problem has also driven me crazy and I have spent ages checking out all lines of attack. This works - albeit for only 3 weeks at a time - but my car is now effectively rattle free. Now say "thanks"...
P.S. It's important that you spray it in the right place - the groove running along the top of the door seal - if you're in doubt I'll post a pic...

Steveb - glad to head that Gummiplege also works for you. It's a pity they stopped producing it in tube/paste format - with the stuff in the tube my A3 stayed rattle free for 6+ months after reapplying a few times (I still have two tube in stock ...)

Yep thanks santa - I did acknowledge that it was you that gave me the tip in an earlier post - the aerosol works fine however. The only down side is that the stuff is banned in the US on health grounds - but own health (sanity) was suffering 'cos of the rattle...cheers santa - you're the boss!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

MIght get dealer to run the anti-rattle tape along the inner edge of where the frame sits into, thats what audi have done to many of the older 8L models and it works very well, think it sounds like the same problem to me, when and if they do this anti-rattle tape trick, i'll let ppl know what it has done. Anyone actually asked the dealers to do this ??? dont sound like it, worth a shot tho.

My dealers failed to fix my seals. So what to do now? Either try steveb's solution or take it back to the dealer?

seriously unhappy with my car right now. Do all audi's have this problem or is it just the A3s? I can't imagine an A8 owner sitting in his luxury cabin putting up with the same rattles that I have in my A3.

Get them to speak to Portsmouth Audi and ask them what they applied to mine. Mine have only just started making a noise after about 3 months. Interestingly (?) it only seems to happen when it's really warm outside. So I guess the rubber compound is a bit soft for our tropical climate?

Mark88 - phone up audi HQ and vent your spleen, its not on being fobbed off by a dealer at all - there must be something they can do

Mine's going back next week, seats started creaking and there's a really annoying rattle behind the RHS air vent (I think, though I've tried taping up the handbrake lever Bowfer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

My seat started creaking after about 1500 miles at every bend\roundabout, very annoying.

They stripped it down, lubricated it and it has been ok for the last 2-3 months, let's hope it stays that way.

"The Cure" the cure is to go to your local Audi centre and have a look at the LATEST door seals, then demand they fit the latest seals to your car, after all they didn't change the design because they had nothing better to do one day..........don't be fobbed off with this "lubricating door seals sir" it's b*****s, lasts about one day max then back to squeeky squeeky...

[ QUOTE ]
"The Cure" the cure is to go to your local Audi centre and have a look at the LATEST door seals, then demand they fit the latest seals to your car, after all they didn't change the design because they had nothing better to do one day..........don't be fobbed off with this "lubricating door seals sir" it's b*****s, lasts about one day max then back to squeeky squeeky...

[/ QUOTE ]

They changed the design? do you know when this was?

Not sure Mark, mine is a 2003 model and yesterday I test drove a 2.0T Quattro, a May 2005 registered car, I paid a LOT of attention to the door seals, the secondary seal or the inner smaller "flap" one around the door top on mine is a rubber/furry combination, on this later model this inner flap seal felt very soft and had none of the furry flecky stuff on it, felt very much like a silicon rubber. Oh yes, the seals were as quite as a mouse! The car itself was nicely specified with bose,xenon,"S" line,rain/light pack and in Missano which was nice, didn't have as much grip as I thought it would, maybe due to what looked like "P Zero's" I dare say a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's would sort that out though

Booked my car in again, the door seals are just getting worse. I just got my car out of the garage and they sounded worse than ever. It's like rain hitting the windows.

The other rattle in my car was the rear ashtray which they said wasn't seated properly. Guess what? this still rattles too!!! It goes away if while I'm driving I put my hand in it and press down.

My car is December 04 - 10 month old SB. I'm not saying you're wrong johnm55 - about the new design seals - it just seems unlikely to me since they only introduced the SB 12 months ago - but I'll check it out.
I've spent about 9 of 10 months of ownership fretting about my rattling drivers' window and travelling backwards and forwards to the dealers. I've tried complaing to Audi customer services - who've sent me back to the dealers. But the guys that work on my car are only flesh and blood - they do what they can do - replaced the window frame, the seals, the regulator the lot and lubricated everything in sight.
All I'm saying is if you have rattling window syndrome (the kind that disappears when you drop it a few mil) - then my cure works. Isn't that worth checking out - at £4.50 for some Gummipflege and lower blood pressure?

You gonna give us a tutorial on how to apply it then steve? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

we had ours back from dealers a couple of weeks ago, seems to be ok still, what i did notice is the innner door part of where the top rubbers meet, its very super smooth, u rekon they've used gummie type stuff?? Also what i have noticed and not just on this one, the needles on the revs and speedo fluxuate a lil, whereas the 8L models dont, weird anyone else noticed that?

Yeah, the red backlight behind the cupholder and buttons for ESP and tyre pressure has fluctuated on me before - on, off, on , off then stayed on after about a mile or so. Was the first cold night too????

Anyone else????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My car is December 04 - 10 month old SB. I'm not saying you're wrong johnm55 - about the new design seals - it just seems unlikely to me since they only introduced the SB 12 months ago - but I'll check it out.
I've spent about 9 of 10 months of ownership fretting about my rattling drivers' window and travelling backwards and forwards to the dealers. I've tried complaing to Audi customer services - who've sent me back to the dealers. But the guys that work on my car are only flesh and blood - they do what they can do - replaced the window frame, the seals, the regulator the lot and lubricated everything in sight.
All I'm saying is if you have rattling window syndrome (the kind that disappears when you drop it a few mil) - then my cure works. Isn't that worth checking out - at £4.50 for some Gummipflege and lower blood pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I pay nearly £22000 for a car I do not expect it to rattle like some old Skoda, also the door seals on MY 2 year old car and the 2.0T I drove ARE very different, they should stop fobbing you off with Gummipfledge and change the f******* things, after all, they priced them for mine and they are available, and only £35 each,
Oh, thanks for the advice anyway, I'm not ranting at you just Audi and their afterservice.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

Yeah - I totally agree with you - the list price on my car was £23.5k (didn't pay that of course) - and I also wonder if Mr. A8 driver gets the same deal with rattles (I think not) - but I have effectively cured my problem. I will check out the new seal thing, but for the moment I'm happy and I like my car at long last. I wasn't "fobbed" off by either Audi or the dealers - one of the cats on this forum - "Santa" - gave me the tip - I just got fed up with the ag. Will the next car I buy be an Audi? Dunno yet - but I'll think hard about it...

Had my car in a second time, this time they completely removed the dash, repositioned it slighlty, moved the seats away from the centre armrest, also moved the doors as far as possible and lubricated the seals.

It's much much better!! Actually enjoying driving the car now rather than listening for rattles. I only hope it lasts!

I have found the COMPLETE CURE to ALL the rattles I had in my car, Iv'e sold the f*****g thing!! P/X for a 2.0T S-Line quattro, bye-bye P,O,S