The chipping needs to wait til OC is ready but....

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
.... what's people's views on induction kits - pros/cons increase in bhp and which one to go for! Enlighten me with your wisdom, oh wise ones!

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi S3BeemerBeater. I am usually in or around Bournemouth a lot.........will keep an eye out for you as I have a silver one too.

Induction kits make great sounds but suck in hot air which you do not want and esp with a turbo as the intercoolers has a hard enough time as it is cooling the air.

The standard air box with a decenet air feed to it has been tested to be a very good and non restrictive for upto about 350 bhp........Audi made a great design!

I have smoothed mine inside and change the filter every 6000 miles or so.

Go with a K&N Panel filter makes a considerable difference to airflow. As said above OEM airbox is pretty well designed. Induction kit would suck in warm air from inside the engine bay and would probably reduce performance most of the time. Also worth noting is that some of the filter oil can be drawn in off the induction kits cone filter and this can coat the MAF resulting in a further loss of power.

I have a K&N panel replacement... not bad although I have seen some carbon Induction Kits that also get the air from the right place. Saw it on someones profile on TSN.!!

Probably better to spend your money of a high flow cat first.

Mike - Bournemouth

All a complete waste of time from a performance perspective. One can argue than a aftermarket panel filter can offer better filtration, but on a forced induction car the limiting steps are elsewhere...