The block to have for a stroker and any underslung manifold options?

J

Jarme

Well, hi again to all! First "proper" posting around here after the welcome thread.

I'm planning and budgeting a stroker project here which would be done on a 2nd engine to keep my car drivable while the nonsense is coming together. I've gathered a bit of information from here but because of the amount of noise around in forums in general I'd like to ask couple of things just to be sure. Of course tips and tricks and outright advise is always welcome, although I naturally reserve all rights to follow them or not... :playful:

First the actual engine. My car has the APY coded engine and I've come to a conclusion that all the 06A blocks are interchangeable to a degree at least. Also the big port head would be a thing to have when changing the bottom end geometry and moving to a big turbo. I've ran into a couple of non-split AGUs and wonder if the block is just the same as any of the S3 blocks would be? This would be ideal since AGUs would already have the big port heads on them. Or would you rather search for something else? Aim is the 2008cc configuration.

Also I'd like to hear about possible proven underslung manifold options that would be EFR twin scroll compatible. I've noticed that Tuffty for example uses custom tubular manifold although not with twin scroll EFR and I like that configuration since it looks stock from outside. Or hell, maybe I'll do my thesis of designing a one! But first are there any market options around? I wouldn't mind top mount too much otherwise but I'd like to keep the engine bay looking at least stock-ish to avoid any extra attention from people who would otherwise be professionally interested in why the turbo has flipped around in the engine bay... :whistle2:

Cheers!

Reactions: IPG
why underslung? you very much limit your options
tufftys is top mount btw GT35

vband ftw... imho
you seen the physical size of efr units? very very VERY large units for their power outputs.

06a blocks the same.
83mm bore, tfsi crank gets you 2008cc

Reactions: Jarme
why underslung? you very much limit your options
tufftys is top mount btw GT35

vband ftw... imho
you seen the physical size of efr units? very very VERY large units for their power outputs.

06a blocks the same.
83mm bore, tfsi crank gets you 2008cc

Ahh, so it seems. It just looked so low down, it was late when I looked etc. Thanks for the info!

Good to know it's actually possible to hide the snail even when top mounted. Just maybe not without a custom manifold (?) or are there any specific ones in the market which are known to be good? EFR's going to be a squeeze anyway that's for sure, I've indeed seen some side by sides, although not in person!

Engine and bottom end shopping it is then.

EFR's going to be a squeeze anyway that's for sure, I've indeed seen some side by sides, although not in person!
they're really long units, its already so tight either side with the brake servo and heater matrix pipes.
The twin scroll exhaust housings are also huge.
i think theres plenty of info out there to convince you twin scroll is obsolete