The Audi S3, Gold coloured condom?

I

imported_daryl

The other day I was coming off of a roundabout onto a dual carriage way. I was in 3rd gear, revs at about 4000, then I floored it to get passed a Ford Focus CMax (2.0 TDCi = 0-60 is 9.3s at 125 BHp). An old man, 60’s, was driving and what look like his wife was in the passenger seat.

To cut a long story short I found it hard to get passed him and I was doing 6000 revs in most gears (probably 5500 in 5th? – you get the point). At one point I was doing 125 MPH and he was still with me …… With a smirk on his face.

I have come to the conclusion that we are all driving gold coloured condoms, why? Because they do the same job as normal condoms but the gold OBVIOUSLY makes it better!

You all shout “get a remap” I say for half the price, well £7K, we could get Scooby’s to do the job without any fuss. Hence the Condom analogy..

I have now stepped down off of my soap box

Im off to by a Vauxhall Sri /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

Must be something wrong with it,probably the maf.

More than likely the diesel has a good amount of torque in the high range to be pulling well. Obviously well enough to keep up with you! Maybe he had it chipped and had it piked up to take on these young scally wags in their bling motors.

I'd agree that theres probably something up with your MAF

Rich

How many times do we go round this loop.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Its like posting that someone saw an S3 going slowly...

Diesel doesn't equal an agricultural slow noisy stinking mobile chicane.....

They are never going to be as fast as an S3 but I can't understand these constantly "suprised by a diesel" comments..

Double whammy for you here as this one was driven by a coffin dodger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Wake up and smell the horrible minging slimey goo.....

I still don't get the gold condom bit, what have we got to do with condoms...96% of the time we work 4% we get in a tangle with a diesel?? Rick's right we do seem to go over this diesel bit a fair bit, must say I have never come across (no pun intended) (that was a punt at the condom bit for those people who as slow as me) a fast diesel myself and will now be looking for them just to see hwat all the fuss is about.

There are many quick diesels on the road now. Be carefull that they don't catch you out!

My mate got blown away in his Golf 1.8T by another Golf 150Tdi.

There was nothing he could do!

And you can chip these to make them a whole lot quicker. As said above, don't think because its a diesel that its slow, because they are often quick...

Just my 2p...

I had an S3 for 3 years @ 105K miles.
IMHO a quick comfortable car though those diesels are getting quicker.

I've a 2.0ltr tdi sportsback which is not far off the pace of the S3 (midrange).

Its credit to just how far in the last 5 years diesel engines have come on look for example at the 535d, more torque than the new M5

[ QUOTE ]
There are many quick diesels on the road now. Be carefull that they don't catch you out!

And you can chip these to make them a whole lot quicker. As said above, don't think because its a diesel that its slow, because they are often quick...

Just my 2p...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said DickyS3!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Assuming the traffic light drag race and firing out from roundbouts is the cutting edge of urban motorsport...

If you really want to massage your ego, and maybe this is an end to all of this, buy any old sub 600 cc bike,. Even a diesel one!

You should easily get one for a few hundred quid. You will probably get 0-60 under 5 seconds and the biggest widest smile you have had for ages.

If you get one old enough bask in the afterglow of times when Jap engine development vastly outpaced frame or brake technology. Enjoy acceleration? You'l enjoy "manly" moments trying to steer or heaven forbid, stop, even more! Then you can truely answer the philosophers dilemma "Why is fear lumpy"

Waste Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mitzi Evo if you try hard enough, (you only spent a few hundred £, why be mechanically sensitive?). See the suprise on the car drivers face as you rip up the tarmac! After all its only a BIKE! When you have done, give it a viking send off or ditch it in the canal, well thats the done thing round here with bikes..

.....or maybe this is the cutting edge of a very blunt thing....

Do cars do anything else??

Rick

I think everyone is getting the wrong end of the stick.

I have nothing against diesels or the people that drive them. I myself used to have an Audi 2,5tDi.

The point I was trying to make was
1) When I bought my car every man and his dog was saying how great it is. Especially when it came to speed and power. The point is there are plenty of cars on the road that have the same speed and power at a fraction of the price. Gold condom analogy = paying for the name.

2) You do not expect to have difficulties with a people carriers, diesel or petrol.

3) I have recently had my car serviced and the MAF was sorted out along with everything else.

I have a company tdci focus and it's not a bad motor but a standard s3 should still beat it.

Your car is either not running right or i have a particularly fast standard S3.

I have seen off 2 Fabia vRS', and a Golf 150TDI all of which i assume would be quicker than the ford offering.

Diesels have come a long way and they are definately quick but the lack of in gear range still stops them competing with modern fast petrols properly driven.

I see more and more idiots though who now have their first quickish car ever (usually a Golf 160 diesel or A3) and thinking they own the road.

I have even (and im deadly serious here) seen a passat TDi floor it when i flashed him out of the way in my 911 TT. He nearly lost me too until the smoke cleared and i could see again. Ended up having to undertake him at warp 7 as would he phuck pull over. My rant over!

[ QUOTE ]

I see more and more idiots though who now have their first quickish car ever (usually a Golf 160 diesel or A3) and thinking they own the road.

- when in fact we should all know that it's S3 drivers who own it...

(A3 tdi 130 Sport & luvvin it!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the record - in my remapped diesel I was still comprehensively blown away by an S3.. (See post of a couple of months back)

This was a foot-to-floor burn, down a sliproad onto an empty motorway, no corners, a straight drag, and there would be something very wrong if over that distance a smaller car with a 225+hp lump could not blow away a larger one with a sub 180hp lump, whether petrol or diesel..
its just not a fair comparison.

However, Living in the new forest, lots of good quick roads, lots of slow roads, lots of twisties, and the broader range of power available to the diesel (Much less fussy about being in the right gear, etc) and armfuls of torque, my experience is that the diesel is more than capable of holding its own .. and while I personally would still expect to be blown away by an S3, it would be a harder job - if your motor is capable of getting you to the point where you are exploring the limits of grip and adhesion, then it doesnt matter whether its diesel or petrol, and its every bit as much fun!
Dont get me wrong, I like the S3 a lot, and it is undoubtedly faster than any of the tdis, and has more inherent potential.. but I do think that in circumstances other than a straight drag the difference may be more about suspension / tyres, handling and conditions than it is about a petrol/diesel issue - and therefore it has to be the case that any fairly well set up and driven motor is not necessarily going to be a walkover, even with only 80% or less of your power and whether petrol or diesel..

Mind you - what you describe sounds like a straight drag.. and yes you should have blown him away!!

[ QUOTE ]

Just my 2p...

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true Dicky.

Last year, I was in the rallye (260bhp), A guy was following me in a 150 gt-tdi remapped to 190 bhp. Over 300 lbs of torque. I wasn't giving it full whack but beleive me I wasn't hanging about either. He was keeping up no problem.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- when in fact we should all know that it's S3 drivers who own it...

(A3 tdi 130 Sport & luvvin it!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. We all know 911Tub drivers own it, even if im in my S3 at the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You all shout “get a remap” I say for half the price, well £7K, we could get Scooby’s to do the job without any fuss. Hence the Condom analogy..

I have now stepped down off of my soap box

Im off to by a Vauxhall Sri /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but a 7k subaru is a 7k subaru at the end of the day, too many about and look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif with no where near the quality of the S3.

I easily outran a GT-TDi through the peak district on the roads into Bakewell in my Black S3 which was superchipped. Turbo diesels are quick yes, but yours must not be running right for this to happen.

My dad has just bought a focus c-max 2ltr TDCI for work and he let me use it to take my younger brother back to his mums house so it was a trip from bristol to worcester... i have to say it flys for wat it is! as soon as u hit the boost at about 2000rpm it flys and thats in every gear, even 6th!overall thrashing it through the rang isnt that good but if your on the boost and need some power, EXCELLENT!

You should of killed it mate .. a standard s3 will leave it standing. all i can think it is, that you weren't shifting right and changing.. when you mean he was still with you was he a few car lengths or just right at your bumper.. you shouldn't of got any higher then 4th

Oh and by the way the Audi A3 1.6 is sold - went today, very sad but its good to have a fresh start and see the new youth who will love the car to bits until they realise they shoulda brought the turbo like I did....