The **** the RS3 should of had!

When your customers will pay for the badge, why try harder?!?!!??

78%20Why%20Try%20Harder.jpg

I saw the PH article.
Don't tell me the new RS4 will not be available with a MANUAL gearbox?
*** Audi, what are you playing at?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......rant over!

It seems to be the way the Germans are going with their RS models and alike, Porsche are only going with the PDK system on the New 911 GT3, which seems a shame I had a 997 with a manual box which is how I think it should be, albeit not a GT3 sadly.
I do think a lot more people are heading towards these type of boxes as they are easier in the heavy traffic which seems to everywhere these days.

I, for one, will never be going back to a manual. Dual clutch boxes all the way from now on. They are that good, and I love driving my car hard and on track days. :)

And DSG's make a lovely noise when you change gear as the revs blip! If you don't believe me see Rabbit222's RS3 thread. I used to hate DSG 4 or so years ago, but I'm warming, esp. after a trip to the ring where manual gear changes made it much harder to get a consistent lap.

Oh I love them too Silky, sorry to go on about what cars I have had but before the S3 I had a DSG R32, (getting a dog meant a car with a boot!) and I loved the DSG, my S3 is manual and I will be getting an auto on my next car no doubt about that.

And DSG's make a lovely noise when you change gear as the revs blip! .

So true, mine sounds awesome. Like a mini bomb going off every time you change up at high revs. If you come off the throttle at the same time as well, even better!

I just think that DSG gearboxes take another element of control and skill away from the driver.

They are preferred by the manufacturers because they can be programmed very easily to provide better official emissions and mpg figures which is important to them and to all the magazines, and the public as well.

To me, I would much rather be able to change gear manually balancing throttle, clutch and gearbox with experience and skill and the satisfaction from either getting a change up perfect, or from changing down without any jerkiness and either quickly or slowly ( depending on my mood ), along with missing gears completely if you want to is part of the appeal of driving and controlling a car.

To my mind, there is no skill in letting a computer ensure that every change is perfect, and although a novelty at the moment, I am sure that it will wear off over time and people will hanker after manual gearboxes again.

Don't get me wrong, in town or in heavy traffic I am sure it is a bonus to have DSG, but for people who love to drive, I really think a manual gearbox requires more skill and offers more rewards.

With DSG, auto distance cruise control, lane departure warning, auto emergency braking.....before long the driver will switch off to such an extent that we may as well all be going in busses for the level of control and fun that we will be left with.

Maybe i'm just getting old !!

Ok, rant over :)

I didn't like the DSG in the R8 or S3 or A4 that I've driven.
Albeit none of them for more than 48 hrs.
Some folk may think its the way forward but why not give the option of both?
It just doesn't make any sense.

I just think that DSG gearboxes take another element of control and skill away from the driver.They are preferred by the manufacturers because they can be programmed very easily to provide better official emissions and mpg figures which is important to them and to all the magazines, and the public as well.To me, I would much rather be able to change gear manually balancing throttle, clutch and gearbox with experience and skill and the satisfaction from either getting a change up perfect, or from changing down without any jerkiness and either quickly or slowly ( depending on my mood ), along with missing gears completely if you want to is part of the appeal of driving and controlling a car.To my mind, there is no skill in letting a computer ensure that every change is perfect, and although a novelty at the moment, I am sure that it will wear off over time and people will hanker after manual gearboxes again.Don't get me wrong, in town or in heavy traffic I am sure it is a bonus to have DSG, but for people who love to drive, I really think a manual gearbox requires more skill and offers more rewards.With DSG, auto distance cruise control, lane departure warning, auto emergency braking.....before long the driver will switch off to such an extent that we may as well all be going in busses for the level of control and fun that we will be left with.Maybe i'm just getting old !!Ok, rant over :)
The problem is, people who don't understand or have never owned a DSG car write it off as taking away from the experience of driving and being less involved, less skillful, etc etc. But the fact of the matter is, in a lot of ways driving a DSG is A LOT more involving and takes a lot more skill than driving a manual car.Yes, there is the side to DSG where you just point your car and go, but to get the best out of the box you really need to know how to use it properly, otherwise you end up with endless pauses while you wait for it to rev match or simply end up in the wrong gear at the wrong time.IMO, having driven manuals for most of my life and now having driven a DSG for a couple of years.... when pushing on there is a lot more room for error with a DSG than there is with a manual.Which leads me nicely on to....
can the DSG downshift as quick as it upshifts?
If you get it right the DSG downshift is just as quick as its upshift. But get it wrong and you'll be experience some serious :tumble: while the box tries to work out what you're asking it to do.The trick to getting an instant downshift (which is really only possible in manual mode) is pressing the throttle firmly just before you change down. Only when doing this does the box realise you probably want to change down and therefore changes its pre-selection to a lower gear and offers it up for an instant downshift.

I know what you're getting at Ads ( and for the record I have driven several DSG Audi's but still bought the manual ), but i still think there is nothing like getting an upshift or a downshift perfect through your own inputs.....it's a bit like changing lane on the motorway without hitting any cats-eyes ( ok, i'm a bit OCD I admit ) !

Each to their own, and certainly everyone who has the DSG seems really pleased with their choice, it's just not for me :)

Reactions: Ash187
I know what you're getting at Ads ( and for the record I have driven several DSG Audi's but still bought the manual ), but i still think there is nothing like getting an upshift or a downshift perfect through your own inputs.....it's a bit like changing lane on the motorway without hitting any cats-eyes ( ok, i'm a bit OCD I admit ) !

Each to their own, and certainly everyone who has the DSG seems really pleased with their choice, it's just not for me :)

That's fair enough mate. If I'm honest, I wasn't won over by DSG when I first got my car. In fact I thought I'd made a bit of a mistake in going for it. It was only after a few weeks, when I started to realise there was more to driving it than pressing the accelerator, that I was thankful for my decision.

As for the perfect upshift/downshift... in manual mode (using the flappy paddles) you still get to smile at your own perfect timing genius... granted, without the use of a clutch... but with the use of the gas pedal instead.

I think what i'm trying to say is.... DSG can be as "satisfying" as a manual, just in a different way.

Oh, and they're faster too. :laugh: ;)

What use is faster when you're in heavy traffic? ;-)

Why would I want an RS3 to look like an A1's ugly big brother with a huge splitter?

The whole point of a hot hatch is that it looks pretty much like a normal car, works as a family hatchback, and goes like **** when you find a nice windy B-road. Letting everyone know that I'm faster than them before I disappear into the sunset would be taking away half the fun of leaving them in my fumes going "Oh.... so he hasn't got the 1.6TDI, then"

Last edited:
I just think that DSG gearboxes take another element of control and skill away from the driver.

They are preferred by the manufacturers because they can be programmed very easily to provide better official emissions and mpg figures which is important to them and to all the magazines, and the public as well.

To me, I would much rather be able to change gear manually balancing throttle, clutch and gearbox with experience and skill and the satisfaction from either getting a change up perfect, or from changing down without any jerkiness and either quickly or slowly ( depending on my mood ), along with missing gears completely if you want to is part of the appeal of driving and controlling a car.

To my mind, there is no skill in letting a computer ensure that every change is perfect, and although a novelty at the moment, I am sure that it will wear off over time and people will hanker after manual gearboxes again.

Don't get me wrong, in town or in heavy traffic I am sure it is a bonus to have DSG, but for people who love to drive, I really think a manual gearbox requires more skill and offers more rewards.

With DSG, auto distance cruise control, lane departure warning, auto emergency braking.....before long the driver will switch off to such an extent that we may as well all be going in busses for the level of control and fun that we will be left with.

Maybe i'm just getting old !!

Ok, rant over :)

I am 110% behind you :)

After owning the RS3 for 7 weeks, and trying an S-Tronic S3 at the weekend, its manual for me and Jen :)

I love the rear end of the new RS4. The front could take some getting used to though (loads of pictures on the Top Gear website).

Word is they will only be made in avant form too.

Yes it truly is a great back end:hubbahubba: Just think they rushed through the RS3. Maybe they will surprise us with the new one, makes you think if Audi listen to what the customers want......

RS3 styling is a total letdown, the new RS4 looks like a proper RS car. I think a the bi-turbo 4.0L would have been a MUCH better engine choice though. It is already outgunned by a a standard C63 ( which has already undergone a mid-cycle facelift), and will be by the next M3 with a tri-turbo straight 6.

that new B8 RS4 is just so :wub: agree though the RS3 defo should have had the twin ovals , drove a 911 carrera 2 the other day with the pdk gearbox awesome fast changes but at slow speeds oh dear not nice at all

well people its not really doing it for me, the rear looks good dont get me wrong but the overal package seems lacking somewhat could have been much better.

car_photo_498316_25.jpg

car_photo_498310_25.jpg

car_photo_498307_25.jpg

car_photo_498304_25.jpg

only my opinion :)

The front bumper on that RS4 is not deep enough. Too much mesh grill too, almost looks aftermarket!