The 170 story so far....

no problems here so far. Only ever used BP Diesel Ultimate.

"Runs well?

Are you saying you're only getting the noise issue and not the stuttery acceleration?"

What I mean is it will still go... It is uneven and stuttery at idle and as you take up drive it is not smooth. Also as I said before it runs on when changing gear so is jerky but it does pull through the rev range without stutterring.

Ah right, thought you had different symptoms for a minute but it sounds exactly the same as mine.

On the fuel issue, my last two tank fulls have been Shell (over 54 litres last time - that was close!) and Dave has said he has no problems with Shell so I doubt it's that although it could still be a problem with the fuelling system itself, such as the pump or even silt/sediment in the tank maybe?

I've been logging what & when it happens, no common denominator or mileage gap, tried different fuel suppliers including the 'go faster, cleaner diesel' still no change, I think it's software related as by now VAG would have pinpointed which sensor is playing up and informed the dealers.

The absence of any warnings or fault codes also suggests a software fault. If it was a dodgy sensor then you'd expect the computer to record an anomaly in the readings when the problem occurs. The fact there is no such record suggests that the computer thinks everything is normal.

Right well my dealer is now running out of ideas and has asked me to throw it back at Audi CS.

Anyone else having any progress?

Have you had the factory recall? Replace a dodgy "something or other". Mine was done at 4k and have had no problems for last 3.5k.

Factory recall!? Please tell me more! What was this related to?

Off the top of my head I can't really remember, but I had a warning light on, engine management something or other, and they replaced a sensor somewhere. I know this is a really cr@ppy answer but am at work and dont have receipts in front of me. Maybe it wasnt a recall as such, but they certainly did something that they said needed doing.

My god, could this post be any more vague.:unsure:

You won't need to dig out receipts.
A quick call to the dealer should reveal all.

Was this specifically related to the noise issue you had?

If you could find out the detail for me that'd be great.

Also, if you can see your way clear to sending me your dealer's name and your car's registration via a pm or email then my dealer says they'll be happy to call them and enquire about what was done and see if it's possibly related to my issue. Tried getting ShiftyMac to do this as he reported his issue had been fixed by a sensor replacement also but he seems to have disappeared from here :(

Many thanks

Car booked in for next Wed to have the DPF sensor speculatively replaced. Will report back with findings.

Scottie said:
no problems here so far. Only ever used BP Diesel Ultimate.

I asked about this problem at the local Audi garage. Their view is that its due to the high sulphur content of most UK diesel, which causes the DPF system to activate more often. Perhaps Scottie's OK because he's only ever used Ultra-Low Sulphur diesel?

Does this sound plausible?

My 170 was registered last July and thus was one of the 1st batch off the production line.

I always use either Shell diesel or Morrisons 'City' Diesel.

Most of our driving is motorway driving, but when on holiday i can use a 1/2 tank full of diesel in city driving conditions.

I've never had the 'agricultural' noise people have described. I wouldn't have thought it was fuel related. If their was a generic fault with a certain component I would have thought that my car would suffer the same problems being one of the 1st ones.

To my mind it seems to be weakness in the way one of the componets work given a particular type of driving conditions. I would be less than tolerant if it ws happening to me and would be frustrated to say the least at Audi's inability to solve the issue. H

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem and get it sorted Vertigo1. :icon_thumright:

Pretty sure fuel isn't the issue as others are using the same fuels as me and not having a problem.

I'm making sure I press the issue and keep them on the case as it is rather annoying but I am also appreciative of how difficult it can be to find problems like this. I'm a programmer by profession and I know how difficult it can be to find a bug, especially one you can't reproduce reliably.

You could also argue that it's possibly not Audi's fault. I suspect it's probably down to some minute sensor somewhere in the vehicle which is giving dodgy readings - if this turns out to be the case then it's the fault of their supplier, they don't make every nut and bolt.

To drawn an analogy, if your new Dell PC's hard drive packed up, would you blame Dell or the hard drive manufacturer? You'd still expect Dell to sort it out though.

No I didn't buy it from them - it's a lease car which was sourced from another dealer entirely.

OK, doesn't matter; you didn't buy the car from Audi CS. The dealer network represent Audi UK. They are required to deal with your problem and the manufacturer, not you. Alternatively, send a snotty letter to Jeremy Hicks (director Audi UK or Tom Peterkin, Customer Services Manager).

If the dealers are required to deal with the manufacturer on your behalf, why is there a Customer Services department for Tom Peterkin to direct? Seems a bit contradictory, no?

My dealer is on the case but has simply said that, if I also pursue the problem via Audi CS directly, the dual-fronted approach may yield faster results. I don't have a problem with this.

If I don't get any joy from the dealer or my current contact at Audi CS then I will certainly contact Tom Peterkin as I have his direct phone number and have spoken to him personally before on other matters :)

They have a customer services department (and manager) because Audi dealers (and I guess other motor manufacturers are no different) do not seem to be able to take ownership of a problem as the easy way out for them is to pass the buck back to you, the customer. I agree, C/S would be redundant if their dealer network actually delivered the service in all the b*llshi*t you are given before you buy a car from them...

Just checking in - I'm still getting the same trouble - although it has been behaving for the past few days - it's very random!

I am keeping an eye on your results vertigo - as it seems you have the patience to get it sorted out .

I'm actually a very impatient person by nature :)

It's more that there's no ****** way I'm putting up with this for the life of the car so it needs sorting. They can basically keep replacing parts until they find the issue, whether that culminates in replacing the entire engine or indeed the whole car is not my problem :)

It's also developed an annoying rattle from the interior trim in the back rear corner of the car. I suspect it's the seatbelt reel. They're looking at that too.

No joy :(

DPF sensor was replaced today and the problem reared its head again about 20 mins after leaving the dealer :(

Urgh!

Don't know where to go from here really. Going to get back onto Audi CS.

Vertigo ......... have Audi changed the filter itself yet? If there is a manufacturing fault on it, maybe all the sensors etc are working correctly in try to regerate it ......but ....... it pysically cannot be regenerated due to it being faulty.
With the filter being an expensive part, I guess Audi would only change it if you pushed them hard.

They checked the filter itself a while ago and found it wasn't at all clogged so I doubt it's a case of that. If it was getting clogged then the problem would persist rather than coming and going, I'd have thought.

The filter could be a total red herring. I think we've latched onto this as someone else with similar symptoms had an issue with theirs, plus it's one component common to the 170PS engine but not the 140. It could be anything specific to the 170 engine tbh and I'd imagine there are a fair few components which differ between the 140 and 170.

Trust me I'm going to push them hard. This problem isn't acceptable and they can replace the whole car piece by piece until they fix it, as far as I'm concerned :)

I am starting to think this is a software issue. I think it is safe to assume that the s/w is different to the 140 version.
I have filled with Shell diesel and after half a tank the problem has not occured where it normally would have by now. This is probably a huge red herring though!

Thing is, if it was a software issue, surely it would affect all cars with this software?

Can I ask everyone to email all their details to Deborah Wood at Audi Customer Services please? The more people they have hassling them over this the more likely they are to act.

important thing I found last week is diesel cars fitted with a DPF got to make sure the engine oil has a low ash content.

Also another thing I found out not audi but VW.

now the memory is not once what it used to be

but this rough transit like noise

cause found

the guy was telling me to much air getting into the oil or something along those lines. Remedy was to rev the car to 3000 rpm for something like 3 mins then idle the car for 15 seconds then rev the car back to 3000 rpm for 3 mins it's not a fix but will cure it for a while. NO idea if this will help audi but will do no harm to give it a go.:uhm:

Air in the oil? Sounds a bit bizarre.

Can you elaborate or find out more info on this please?

Vertigo1 said:
Air in the oil? Sounds a bit bizarre.

Can you elaborate or find out more info on this please?

will do I will ask him again

It was my mate that was telling me and I was only half paying attention when he was telling me the story it wasn't until I was catching up on this thread that I thought about it again.:unsure: :think:

If you can find out more, there's a great many people who'd be appreciative. At this point any more clues would be great.

Just a guess,but isn't the 'air in the oil' thing a reference to the hydraulic tappets ?
Air in the oil could temporarily cause excessive tappet clearances,and therefore top end noise ?
Shot in the dark,that's all.
I know Alfa petrol engines can sound a bit 'diesely' when they're first started,but it goes away as soon as the hydraulic tappets take up their clearances.

I know Alfa petrol engines can sound a bit 'diesely' when they're first started,but it goes away as soon as the hydraulic tappets take up their clearances.

My earlier 1.8T Sport A3s used to sound the same, again until the hydraulic tappets sorted things out.

When I was in Austria last week I called in to an Audi dealer and picked up a brochure and price list for the local A3 range.

All diesel models, 1.9TDI, 2.0TDI-140 and 2.0TDI-170 in all versions and trims levels are only available with the DPF, so any problems related to the DPF would apply to all the diesel range and not just the 170. I assume the model range is the same as is available in Germany.

h5djr said:
I assume the model range is the same as is available in Germany.

Someone mentioned this before.
Only the 170 has the DPF as standard in the UK,with the DPF being available as an option on the 140 in some countries.
I suppose it's feasible that all diesels have to have one in Germany though.

The DPF might be a total red herring, indeed I've now had the sensor replaced and they've confirmed the filter itself isn't getting clogged. It was cited as a likely suspect as it's only available on the 170 in the UK, not the 140 and, since only the 170 has exhibited this problem, attention is obviously focusing on differences twixt the two engines.

At this juncture I'm seriously considering buying a VAG-COM, at huge expense, to try and log some data when the problem occurs in the hope of finding out more.

Was out in my car on sunday and driving back from town (about 20 miles away and 60mph zone) and it wasnt a problem. As soon as started to slow down and get back into the 30 zone my car felt funny. It felt as though there was a severe lack of power in 1st gear when leaving junctions and also had the stuttering feeling towards it. The engine noise also became a bit louder and more (tractorish). Took my dad out in at and he also noticed this.

So he took it into the dealer for me and he lives near it and i live 25 miles away. They said something about a filter and driving about town causes this. So i phone up today to see what was happening and I asked if they had sorted it. They said there is nowt fix as there was no "error" logged when they done a full check. So im hoping it wont be there when I go and collect it later !