That's enough hot air for you..

JasonS

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, now the weather is colder, I'm noticing the following behaviour from the Climate control in my Cabriolet.

I have a 1.5hr commute (lucky me) mostly A roads and motorway.
I start my journey and the Climate gets nice a toasty.. all is well until an hour into my drive, I start to get cold air through the vents - it's almost as if it's decided I've had enough heat and it wants to cool me down.

I can get heat again if i turn up the climate a couple of degrees, this lasts for 5-10 minutes then it starts blowing cold again. if I turn it up a bit more, I get my heat back for another 5-10 minutes etc..

I've hooked up my laptop and VCDS and checked for any fault codes - none found.
I suppose the next thing is to take off the glovebox and check all the flap motors?

Cheers,
Jason.

Are you sure it's not just the car starting to pump some cool air in to stop the cabin temperature rising above the programmed temperature?

sounds to me like its achieving the desired temp on the front of the climate and then its maintaining it. you get hot air again because your asking the unit to heat the cabin to a higher temp once there it then cools the output temp as it doesnt need to heat it anymore. The unit has a built i cabin temp sensor.

I agree with the other two and I suspect you're only saying 'cold' air from the vents as you're used to being toasty, so ambient air will feel cool. I have this issue to, it's annoying. You could put the temp onto max and manually adjust the fan speed to 2-3 bars to keep it warm, but not getting the cabin too hot.

Thanks for the responses, I shall hold off removing the glovebox for now.

this is my 5th Audi with climate.. I must just be used to how the others behaved..
I'm pretty sure those would get up to temp, then back off the fan to the lowest setting, so I wouldn't notice any cold air mixing in.

My cab does this and I have just assumed its the cabin getting hotter than what I have set it to so its pumping the cold air in, all I do if I want it warm is to set the temp with econ switch on to shut the a/c off