tfsi: to do/done list

Darren1983

Reaction score
afternoon all,

just thought id give a quick update on my avant 2.0tfsi special edition quattro since i bought it a month or so ago.

I knew upon buying it that it needed some bits doing so i started trying to search on here to figure out what parts i needed and to be honest so far ive not been that successful in sorting out problems with it.

1. irratic revving - changed the clutch switch but still no luck, then changed the PCV valve but still no better.
2. needed a drivers door handle cover. bought and painted this - success.

its still got the revving issue along with the temp dropping randomly and over fuelling. ive now bought a diverter valve(il hopefully get round to fitting this at the weekend) then i need to figure out if its a thermostat or temp sensor that i need for the over fuelling.

ive also bought the oil pick up, this is going to get done when i take it to the garage in a few weeks for timing belt and service to be done.

Now the most worrying thing at the minute is the noise coming from the drivers side front end. ive read a LOT of threads/articles on this and it seems to be down to 1 of 3 things.

1.wheel bearing
2.tyre noise
3. pinion bearing.

now knowing me and knowing my luck its bound to be number 3!!

when its goes into the garage for the other things doing im going to get this looked at more theroughly and see what it is...

anyway just wanted to give a general update on my car.

p.s everyone on here has been very helpful so far so thank you.

Darren

glad you're making progress now, every job done is one less.
just a few things to keep in mind, changing the diverter valve can be an easy fix if you have access to a ramp or lift as its easier to get to from under neath, otherwise it can be a bit of a struggle from the top of the engine so allow enough time if going in from the top.
the other is that oil pipe , on the 2wd cars its a quick easy job, on the quattro its a much bigger job as it can be very difficult to get the sump of due to the subframe in the way, a lot suggest loosening the engine mounts and lifting the engine bit to get the sump cover off, but otherwise its a bigger job as you need to remove more bits to get at things, just be prepared for a bigger labour charge if things go that way.
anyway ,they will both be good jobs done and out of the way.

one of the big downsides of quattro ownership over the 2wd variant is that the 4wd layout and extra hardware does tend to increase the time and labour cost involved in many of the jobs that need to be carried out at somepoint, clutch is another sore point, on the quattro its can be a hell of a lot more work and expense than with the 2wd, I supose it goes with the territory as they say.

Last edited:
few pics.

Attachments

• car 1.jpg
    car 1.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 114
  • car 2.jpg
    car 2.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 140
  • car 3.jpg
    car 3.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 109
  • car 4.jpg
    car 4.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Euans2
thanks for that info Rob, luckily the mechanic doing it is a long time friend so i will get it at mates rates, and also he is fully aware of what he is going to have to do so i wont give him any nasty suprises haha.

thanks rob,

I have to say it is a nice looking car, the wheels need a refurb but there are more important jobs to be done on it first.

i have some info that may be of use to you, I've also got a 2.0tfsi spec ed.

When I got it I got to work sorting out some known problems, pick up pipe was first. Like people have said, on the quattro it is a pain in the a**!!

I had to undo the engine mounts, take the weight with a engine crane and drop the subframe a bit to get access to the bolts.

Then the dv
Removed the drainage grommets under the battery
Cam follower
Bsh pcv fix

Then I started to get poor mpg and my temperature was never staying on 90°, new thermostat fixed that. Not to hard to fit

My front wheel bearings were noisy when I got it but I decided to leave it a while before tackling them (done them now).

Best way to tell if it's your wheel bearings(or which side it is) is if it gets noisier when you turn corners. I.e if you turn a left corner and there is more noise then it's your right wheel bearing going, as the weight is being transferred onto it ☺

Hope that helps, hope you get everything sorted

That's great info thanks for that. Il be putting the car on ramps or axle stands to gain access to the diverter valve.

Il be doing the same as you too with regards to the noise, I'm going to get the car running properly first before I tackle that issue

No problem next on the list for me is all the front control arms, really not looking forward to it haha

so was speaking to my mechanic friend yesterday and ive now got my car booked in at the weekend for the following.

Timing belt
service
oil pick up replacement
fitting diverter valve
new thermostat

fingers crossed that the bottom two of the list will rectify my issues.

Ive now evenutually got my car back from my friends garage... thank god!!

list of things that have been done:

timing belt
water pump
thermostat
DV fitting
service
oil pick up.

now when he came to do the oil pick up the balance shaft sprocket had sheared. luckiliy it was still spining so didnt seize and cause any engine damage.

obviously i then had to get this sorted too.

Darren