1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFSI 140 COD: vibrations in 2-cyl mode

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by LuisM, May 20, 2014.

1. LuisM

LuisM Member

Hi all,

First message on this forum. Sorry about my English.

I have an A3 (8V) 1.4 TFSI 140 bhp Cylinder-on-Demand (COD). I've noticed some rattle or vibration from the engine when running on 2-cylinder mode and stepping lightly on the throttle in the 1500-2000 rpm regime. If you increase pressure on the throttle the engine engages all 4 cylinders and the vibration disappears. Also, above 2000 rpm the vibration is not noticeable even in 2-cylinder mode.

I'm pretty sure this is common to all units of this engine in the A3 or in the Golf VII (the engine is called there ACT - Active Cylinder Techonology, but it's the same as COD) . Some examples of people reporting this:

- Rumble and Vibrations, Golf7 TSI 140 DSG Seite 3 : I'm just interested if I should contact my dealer about the up... This link talks about a software update that reduces the problem
    - (In Spanish. Refers to Golf VII with the same engine) Crítica personal 1.4 TSI ACT [Archivo] - Club VW Golf España
    - (In French) Que pensez vous que l'Audi A3 1.4 TFSI CoD - A3 - Audi - FORUM Marques

How do you get by with these vibrations? Do you find them annoying? They are moderately annoying for me. Do you try to always run the engine above 2000 rpm to avoid them? Has anyone had a software update that solves or reduces this issue?

Cheers,

Luis
  2. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I don't have any vibrations or rattle at all with my COD 1.4, but my car is manual. Rattles though, from the gearbox, seem to be quite common with many DSG equipped cars..
  3. LuisM

LuisM Member

Thanks for your reply! Mine is manual too. Yes, I heard in DSG there are more vibrations. That may also be caused by the DSG always trying to engage a hight gear.

Are you sure you don't have those vibrations? They are sligth, so you may not have noticed. If you don't mind, you could do a test: drive at about 1700 rpm and step on the throttle a little, so that you notice some acceleration, but not too much, so as to keep the 2-cyl indication on the display.

4. Pintman

Pintman New Member

Isn't that roughly the same revs that the turbo 'kicks' in??.

Just a thought!.
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

If they are slight I would put it down to an engine running as a two cylinder that is unlikely to be quite as smooth as a four cylinder, as engineering will show..
  6. LuisM

LuisM Member

Well, the vibrations disappear as soon as the engine goes from 2- to 4-cylinder mode (by pressing increasing throttle pressure). So it clearly has something to do with the 2-cyl mode.
  7. LuisM

LuisM Member

Sure! I also think it's something normal in a two-cylinder engine. I didn't mean it's something strange. I was just asking what do you people think about it, if you find it annoying, moderately annoying, or not at all; if someone has had a software update that alleviates the vibrations, etc
  8. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

I have the 1.4CoD and stronic and do feel vibration when the 2cyl mode is activated and at times find it annoying but just as worried about if this could damaged the engine some how.
  9. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

How do you think any damage would occur, I am sure that the engines are tested to destruction....
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. screenbubble

screenbubble New Member

I read somewhere that early attempts at car engines with cylinder deactivation did vibrate them to destruction.
    However looking at the video below it seems with the Audi COD it's the small valves that stop, and the heavy cylinders keep moving as normal. So I'm not sure where any vibration could come from, looking at the animation.
    Maybe it should be called valve on demand, VOD!

Audi A1 Sportback cylinder on demand - Animation - YouTube
  11. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

I'm sure that audi has done their work and tested. I tested the 1.4CoD with manual gearbox and didn't notice the activation/deactivation of 2cyl mode. Only way to see was on the km/L usage.

I need an automated gearbox so ordered with stronic. With the stronic I feel the activation/deactivation as vibration. The vibration are more pronounced just before the system decides to go from activation to deactivation.

I can feel the vibration in the driver seat through my behind.

Some has mentioned the DSG as the reason for the vibration but the are clearly related to the 2cyl mode as vibration disappears as soon as the car goes up hill a bit and 4cyl is enabled.
  12. leosayer1

leosayer1 Member

I do hear a slight change in engine noise when the 2 cylinder mode is engaged. You could call it a rattle but it's barely detectable and I wouldn't call it a vibration. This is with the s-tronic gearbox.

Annoying? Not at all. The engine is the most refined 4 pot I've ever driven, whether in 2 or 4 cylinder mode.
  13. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I agree with you that the engine is the most refined and the quietest I have ever owned too. Perhaps this is why to some sounds can be heard. To be honest I think the car should just be driven how it should and if anything that may happen be taken care of under the warranty when, and if, something actually drastically goes wrong...
  14. LuisM

LuisM Member

I think with Stronic the vibration may be more pronounced than with manual gear, because the automatic gearbox tends to favor low rpm regimes, where vibrations are more noticeable. Specifically, I notice them under 2000 rpm while in 2-cylinder mode

If you have drive select (I have manual without drive select), maybe using a different driving mode may help avoid the low rpm regime in 2-cylinder mode.

And then there's the thread I mentioned in my first post, where they mention a software upgrade (for the Golf VII) that reduces the vibrations. I'll mention it to the dealer when I take the car for service
  15. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

There is difference between the drive select modes and also a difference if I use CC or not to maintain constant speed.

The software update that you mentioned I find very interessing.
    LuisM likes this.
  16. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

When were your cars built as it maybe that 2014 cars had a different map. The Golfs mentioned in that thread all seem to be 2013. Can anyone confirm when TPI 2036911/1 was issued for the Golf?
  17. LuisM

LuisM Member

I have tested with CC on, and I think the vibrations are less pronounced, or even non-existent. Is that what you meant?

What differences do you find between Drive Select modes? Is there a mode when vibrations are smaller or even disappear? (I don't have Drive Select, so I can't test)

18. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

The vibrations are most pronounced in efficiency mode or auto driving at around 70-75km/t with the CC enabled, the stronic will be in D6. When driving above the 90km/t the vibrations become non-existent.

I don't think that the drive select makes the difference in the vibrations but more the speed and gear combination. The CC enabled properly makes it worse due to 2cyl mode is entered more frequenctly.

LuisM likes this.
  19. mfspen

mfspen Member

I have a Golf GT 1.4 ACT (manual), which has the same engine, purchased May this year.
    I have not noticed any vibration in 2 cylinder mode, at any revs. In fact, I have found it completely impossible to tell when the engine is in 2 cylinder mode, other than by observing the message on the display.
    Rexus likes this.
  20. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Which is what other owners have noted as well as in road tests...
  21. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

Booked a time at Audi dealership to have them investigate the vibrations. The service advisor informed me that I was not the only one with vibrations problem in 2.cyl mode and that they are in an ongoing investigation and dialog with Audi.
  22. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I hope they find a fault with your car and fix it but what the service adviser has stated is news to me and this forum...
  23. LuisM

LuisM Member

Well, that dkpeter is not the only one with vibrations is no news at all, as the present thread and this other show.

The fact that Audi is investigating it can hardly be any news either. There's a an issue (a minor one, I admit) with the engine, so of course they should be investigating it.
  24. LuisM

LuisM Member

I am very very interested in what they will you, dkpeter. Please post here if you have any other news in the future!

I also went to my dealer, but all I got from them is that vibrations are normal in a 2-cyl engine; that that's a price you pay for lower petrol consumption. And so it may be; but if something can be done to reduce vibrations (even at the cost of a reasonable increase in consumption), I'm interested.
  25. dkpeter

dkpeter New Member

So I have returned from Audi after having a mechanic with me for a drive. He acknowledge (but of cause the vibration wasn't as pronounce as it can be) that there is vibrations but as Audi is investigating and working on a solution they cannot do anything on less is it something extra ordinary. I was told that Audi is working on a software upgrade that should fix the "comfort problem" as it was described. They where under the impression that the upgrade should be ready within a month or so.
  26. LuisM

LuisM Member

Thank you for informing. This is good news!

I also went to my dealer, and of course they said the vibrations were within normal range. Please let me (us) know if they contact you when the software upgrade is ready, so that I can go to my dealer again to have that update in my car.