Test drove an RS Focus MK3

maccduff

Reaction score
To get it out of (or into) my system I took an RS Focus for a test drive today. It was only a short 20min one so not really any in-depth analysis or comparison to my S1 but thought it worth sharing.
Basics:-
RS is faster but not by as much as I was expecting (in Sport Mode for the engine).
RS Exhaust sound better with a nice pop on lift off but engine sounds and feels coarser than the S1
RS ride in Normal is firmer than S1 in Dynamic but not necessarily better for it and with the RS in Sport Suspension it jiggles/bounces like it cant contain the spring rate initially then over reacts, one for super smooth tarmac only (reminds me of my TVR when its sitting on its bump stops - actually a good comparison i.e. undamped rubber).
RS interior the CS(shell) Recaros are a must (& very comfortable), the rest is stock ford with some extra gauges that I suspect you'll never look at except just before you crash :p
RS Gearshift is significantly tighter/shorter and more precise than the S1.
Handling wise I suspect the RS would be fun but not more than I feel the S1 is especially with TC disabled as the ford uses its drive train to make it mobile the S1 is due to is diminutive size/wheelbase (IMO).

Would I like an RS probably but not at the loss of the S1, would I like the RS power in the S1, maybe, or maybe just using the revs more has the same effect on twisty b-roads. A-roads the RS would leave the S1 easily but that's license loosing territory.
I suspect the RS is a better financial bet than an S1, especially given the values I seen offered for S1s in the trade, not sure why suspect its a generic VW/Audi emmissions downer on used values and the S1 is a little too off the beaten track to get a "real" valuation.
So If I traded I think I would be buying the RS badge more than the car itself compared to the S1, is that enough? Hmmm maybe a longer test drive is needed over some familiar roads.

Reactions: northeastdave
Basically you need them to release the RS1 ;)

TX.

Reactions: maccduff
Interesting thoughts on the Focus RS. All the write ups on the RS are amazing, but I have to say it looks really bland compared to previous RS's IMO. Would love to take for out for a day though!

It could be I didn't get long enough to a) feel accustomed to it and b) feel happy to rag it with a salesman next to me over roads I'd forgotten where they went. However after pondering it a bit I don't think the focus RS would best a car I owned previously that being a EVO 9GT on factory option Bilsteins. The EVO had IMO brilliant suspension control and compliance that let it float over moorland roads at rather (in)decent pace. The Focus would I suspect spend most of the time airborne given the stiffness of the suspension settings (though great for a track it may be)

I have a bit of knowledge here as I own them both lol
I think the S1 is slightly quicker, but I will find out over the next few days.
RS is a lot more planted and can certainly go round corners a lot better.
I think the S1 is more fun to drive though.

IMG 0565

Reactions: Terminator x, ScottishA4B9 and northeastdave
Is the S1 better than the RS3? On the track, the Focus RS came out better than the RS3 (and others).

Ill put a full review up when I have a few more miles on the car.
However, on the private test track around my area, we tested the speed of both cars, from a rolling start of 30mph in second gear.
They both just sat side by side. No difference in speed at all.
My S1 is standard with just a panel filter. Focus RS is standard.

EVO 9GT was / is a sublime car to be fair. Always wanted one but couldn't afford it at the time :(

TX.

However, on the private test track around my area, we tested the speed of both cars, from a rolling start of 30mph in second gear.
@skiman - Get this app on your iPhone
http://www.appdecide.com/app/ios/g-tac-free/305409405/
& put the results up for both your S1 & the RS

Will make interesting reading me thinks ;) :D

Reactions: PastS1Owner

Skiman, any news on the RS vs S1 comparison?

Moderators, any chance of this thread being moved back to the S1 Forum?