Test drove an 8V S3 today......dealership sold car while I was out in it!

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So this morning I saw a rather nice S3 for sale on the approved website albeit without any pics as yet, it was fairly local to me so I decided to pop down for a nosy.
The car was a 3 door S3 stronic and very well spec'd.
As I sat down with the sales exec, I was informed that someone had enquired about it and was on there way to see it. I asked if they had put a holding deposit down and they said not.
We did the figures and got to a point where the deal was on the table, I asked for a test drive before going any further to which they agreed. While I was out on the test drive the other party "rang up" from 10 minutes away and put a deposit down on it. I suspect this was instigated by a different salesman fearing he was about to loose his sale.
If I thought I was about to be gazumped, I would have left a deposit subject to test drive but was never offered this.

Am I right to feel a little miffed?
The the sales lady looked a little uncomfortable with it and was very apologetic, or is it all fair in love and war?
I guess it's another lesson learned even though I would have done the deal there and then.

On another note although very nice, it felt slow and wallowy compared to my 2+ S3

uh, so someone put a deposit down w/out having seen it or driven it?
tell the garage to FO, not like it's the only S3 in the world, give your money to someone who gives you decent service.

Apparently they'd had a video sent over and we're on there way to look at it with a view to possibly buying it, however they hadn't left a deposit.
I was assured the car was still out on the open market and I did specifically ask if they had put a deposit down.
It was only when I got back from the test drive that I was told a deposit had been taken.
It was mega spec'd as well so not surprised.
Maybe I should have put a deposit down myself but as far as I was aware I had first refusal with actually being in the showroom and discussing a deal.

So this morning I saw a rather nice S3 for sale on the approved website albeit without any pics as yet, it was fairly local to me so I decided to pop down for a nosy.
The car was a 3 door S3 stronic and very well spec'd.
As I sat down with the sales exec, I was informed that someone had enquired about it and was on there way to see it. I asked if they had put a holding deposit down and they said not.
We did the figures and got to a point where the deal was on the table, I asked for a test drive before going any further to which they agreed. While I was out on the test drive the other party "rang up" from 10 minutes away and put a deposit down on it. I suspect this was instigated by a different salesman fearing he was about to loose his sale.
If I thought I was about to be gazumped, I would have left a deposit subject to test drive but was never offered this.

Am I right to feel a little miffed?
The the sales lady looked a little uncomfortable with it and was very apologetic, or is it all fair in love and war?
I guess it's another lesson learned even though I would have done the deal there and then.

On another note although very nice, it felt slow and wallowy compared to my 2+ S3
And if you crashed the car while you were test driving it? Seems silly to not wait until you said no.

They've said they'll try find another for me, I've told them not to bother!
If its someone on here thats bought it then we'll done mate, it's lovely
It was a 3 door glacier white Stronic @ Sheffield Audi if anyone's interested.

that's a crapper m8 but ive been had i spent all day doing a deal got the finance in place and apparently 10 mins before the dealership close someone walk in and brought the car. but I wasn't told until I rang up next day to arrange collection I was told as I hadn't signed the paper work it was still for sale lol. Guess it just was meant to be and there a better car out there. Hope you manage to find a good one.

That sucks mate but like you say there are plenty more out there.
I'm over it now and have decided to keep mine for a bit longer.
I do still love it but I'm racking the miles up and that was the main reason to change.
For the week afterwards, I got more and more worked up about it for the way they acted. They are after all just second hand car salesmen and will do a deal with anyone that puts their cash on the table first, they have no morals.
Use it as a positive mate and find a better car. Good spec'd ones go quick though so beware!

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk