1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TESCO 99 RON SUPER UNLEADED/FUEL PROBS

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JayB5UK, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Anyone use this? Know where it comes from and after the news today, had any trouble running their fuel?
  2. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

I live in the area where they originally piloted this many months ago. Been running my Ibiza on it permanently for many months, and go 50:50 between this and V-Power in the S3.

Not had any problems - it is 99Ron (so only V-Power can match it), plus with the bio fuel component at 5% you can claim it is a 'green' fuel.

Honest John from the Saturday motoring column only recommends three fuels - V-Power, Ultimate and Tesco Super - thanks to their additives.

My understanding of fuel is that there are only a small number of refineries across the country, and that each make their own base fuels which supply all the oil company depots in the immediate locality. What happens next is the oil companies add their own additives (or not in the case of some supermarket fuel) and then sell it as their own. So the key is not the base product, more what additives has it been given.
  3. GSB1

GSB1 Member

The news today has had nothing specifically to do with the 99ron fuel from what I have seen.
  4. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Yeah I know, was just using the same thread to cover both, got me thinking.

I use the 99RON and have had no probs, been using it for quite a while, cheap too, if I drive 12 miles to fill up for the fortnight, i can get it for about 85p. The BP Ultimate in my town is 95p!
  5. marmite

marmite Counting the Tesco Club points

I use 99ron Tescos in Hatfield no problems BUT
    Read Straight from the BBC website

I am keeping an eye on the beast
  6. Rich

Rich Rollin on boost mother hubbards

Yeah, I've been getting 99 RON from Tesco recently as well, this has put me off though tbh. Cant be having dodgy petrol. I think I'll go back to V Power now...
  7. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Hmm, now I think about it, there were load of people in yellow jackets with what looked like copper containers at Tescos Sandhurst on Monday. I assumed that it was trading standards running a check on the pumps - i.e. making sure that 1 litre actually equalled 1 litre.
    Perhaps they were doing some other checks in relation to this.

As an aside, I'm sure I read somewhere that in the days of 4 star leaded petrol and unleaded being sold side by side, that on average 1 tank of fuel in 25 that should have been unleaded will have actually have been leaded due to mistakes either at the refinery or by the delivery driver filling the underground storage tanks at the garage.
  8. Lowlife

Lowlife German Hardcore

I have a tank full of Tesco's go-go juice now and can't say I can notice anything wrong and I'm in bad need of a service. Might give the next 1 a miss though, screw the club card points unless Audi are gonna start taking them for repairs! Is Sainsbury's OK? Won't use Esso or BP they're a rip-off!...
  9. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Clubcard points, they bloody should do. You shoula actually get a free week's shopping when yuo pay dealer prices for a service!
  10. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

You will probably find that the people that have had problems are people running there cars on the wrong type of fuel. Or Mens wifes filling the Porsche Cayen up with cheap normal unleaded. Or a Ferrari F430 with the same. Or in reverse some old todger with an 1996 Ford Fiesta sticking 99 ron Fuel in it prob wont be doing it the world of good.
  11. scrupes

scrupes bloody great extension bodger

sounds more like a lead replacement additive has been added to the petrol as the majority of cars affected have burned up the oxy sensor/s.

or something like fuel line cleaner maybe? (think pub barrel cleaner) it should'nt be in the pump lines but it happens! so you can see why the cars are having problems! they all got the shit's!!!!!!

glad i use the shell v power! saying that most of the cars affected by this are less than 5 yrs old, so my 11yr old should be fine anyway