1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature gauge warning light on cold start

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_monkeytrousers, Oct 25, 2004.

1. [Oct 25, 2004]
    Hello

Now and again, over the last few weeks, when starting my S3 from cold I get beeps and a "temperature gauge" warning light on the Drivers Information System.

If I switch the engine off and restart it doesn't come back, or if I ignore it it goes away after a few seconds.

Do you think this is indicating a genuine problem? I've heard that S3 warning lights can sometimes come on for no reason.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. manxman

manxman New Member

[Oct 25, 2004]
    Hi

I've got the same problem. I did a bit of search and I'm hoping this is the answer...

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,10,15,105,200,900,1000&Board=a3s3&Number=77621&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Hope this helps.

Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  4. [Dec 16, 2004]
    Yes, mine is fixed since I put a little water in. I never get the warning now. Easy does it - you only need to add a little - 1-2mm above the max line.
  5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Dec 16, 2004]
    yep I got the same and found the same, only get the error now on very cold mornings when parked on a slope in the wrong direction...
  6. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[Dec 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    monkeytrousers said:
    Hello,

Thought I'd let you know that when I phoned Audi about this problem they agreed it was common, but it did not need a new header tank.

All I needed to do was add a cupful of water to the reservoir.

In the cold weather, the water level can fall just below the minimum level, which triggers the warning light.

In this case a cupful of water meant it no longer sank below minimum when cold and the problem went away.

Nice.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the same have not had any probs since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif