Temp Rising & Dropping? Thermostat

D2NY G

Reaction score
Gents :D

Driving home other night and noticed the car dropped from its normal steady 90 on the temp gauge, dropped to 70 then raised back upto 90 and seamt fine. Is this an early warning of the thermostat going?

So all that am gunna ask, whats the damage on one of these bits will it solve ma problem, easy fix ect?

Cheers lads

Gents :D

Driving home other night and noticed the car dropped from its normal steady 90 on the temp gauge, dropped to 70 then raised back upto 90 and seamt fine. Is this an early warning of the thermostat going?

So all that am gunna ask, whats the damage on one of these bits will it solve ma problem, easy fix ect?

Cheers lads

Morning, it could possibly be a sensor. If you can scan your car and you see the following:

1 Fault Found:
008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 008 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: xxxxxx km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1875 /min
Load: 31.0 %
Speed: 54.0 km/h
Temperature: 74.0°C
Temperature: 22.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.970 V

Then its definitely the thermostat. Its a fairly simple job, you will need one or 2 tools and some G12/G13 anit freeze. Take you about an hour to do if you want to do it with a bit of speed. Otherwise 2 hours maybe. Longest part really is waiting for the car to get up to temp again to bleed the system :happy: Only use Audi Oem part others tend to go faulty within 3 to 5months

Part number: 06D121111G - Trade £23, Retail £32

Thermostat DIY please - AudiForums.com

The above link about half way down is the guide. You dont have to take off wires on the alternator. You can if you arent confident but I didnt.

Morning, it could possibly be a sensor. If you can scan your car and you see the following:

1 Fault Found:
008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 008 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: xxxxxx km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1875 /min
Load: 31.0 %
Speed: 54.0 km/h
Temperature: 74.0°C
Temperature: 22.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.970 V

Then its definitely the thermostat. Its a fairly simple job, you will need one or 2 tools and some G12/G13 anit freeze. Take you about an hour to do if you want to do it with a bit of speed. Otherwise 2 hours maybe. Longest part really is waiting for the car to get up to temp again to bleed the system :happy: Only use Audi Oem part others tend to go faulty within 3 to 5months

Part number: 06D121111G - Trade £23, Retail £32

Thermostat DIY please - AudiForums.com

The above link about half way down is the guide. You dont have to take off wires on the alternator. You can if you arent confident but I didnt.

Legend mate!

Nice one yeah will get it scanned and see what the score is, hopefully sooner than later, Cheers :D

mines kind of doing the same, seems to be taking longer to warm up than it should.Its gets up to 90 then if sitting in traffic it will go down slightly. But on motorway gets up to 90 and stays there.
I have had 3 mk4 golfs, with same prob and it was the temp sensor every time.

cheers guys, the problem has seamed to solve its self though, but still gunna have it checked

I have had the same problem as you for a while now - the temperature drops to 70ish while driving on the motorway and increases to 90ish only when idling ( e.g. traffic lights). Fuel economy seems to have dropped by around 3mpg too and the car seems ever so slightly less responsive.

I scanned the car using VCDS and it didn't throw up any errors at all.

Does this mean that the problem could be caused by the coolant temeperature sensor instead?

I have had the same problem as you for a while now - the temperature drops to 70ish while driving on the motorway and increases to 90ish only when idling ( e.g. traffic lights). Fuel economy seems to have dropped by around 3mpg too and the car seems ever so slightly less responsive.

Does this mean that the problem could be caused by the coolant temeperature sensor instead?

I changed both the coolant temperature sensor & thermostat on mine to fix a similar issue.

That what was happening with mine....noticed fuel consumption was getting higher. Replaced thermostat unit....Job done!